Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Edit a Thread Note

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Cambo_Slambo
1197 Views, 8 Replies

Cannot Edit a Thread Note

Hi all,

This has me puzzled. I have added a thread to an ID and given it a depth (0.75") which also happens to tbe the same as a fully threaded depth. The M23 thread also acts the same but it doesnt reach a fully threaded depth.

Basically the "hole and thread" feature calls up the correct thread but I cannot go in a add any more info like you can with a hole note i.e depth etc. Is my only option to edit the standard thread note style? or should I be able to add info as in the normal "hole" note? See images bellow.

Thanks.

Thread Note.jpg

Ignore highlighting, copied the image from google

Edit_Hole_note.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cambo_Slambo
in reply to: Cambo_Slambo

Just notived the image has been clipped and doesnt show the M25 thread.

Anyone know about adding info to thread notes?

Message 3 of 9
Cambo_Slambo

Anyone?

Message 4 of 9
mpatchus

Since you applied the thread to a surface, Inventor has no idea what the depth of the thread is.

Always use the hole tool to creat hole features.

When the hole tool is used, all elements of the hole (dia, thd, thread depth, hole depth, etc.) are availble for the hole callout.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 5 of 9
Cambo_Slambo
in reply to: mpatchus

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that it wouldnt have a depth but in the case of the M25 thread I selected it to have a depth of 0.6" which it did but you still cant call up a depth for it. I would have though when creating a thread detail on a face and provising a depth then you should be able to use that depth in the thread note?

Message 6 of 9
Paul-Mason

I'd also make the additional that you are using a mix of Metric and Imperial dimension Inventor will ONLY use one or the other and NOT both.. It is also very bad design practice to use boot imperial and metric in the same dimension note and as such you will end up with some very strange looking hole notes.

However inventro threads are cosmeticaly shown as if a PLUG TAP, not a TPAER or 2 TAP was use to cut the trhread and stop at the maximum parrallel depth of the hole ie at the point of satr of taper on the very bottom of a blind hole

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 7 of 9
Cambo_Slambo

Thanks for the reply. From now on I'll make sure everyone in the design office uses "hole" to do all thread.

Oh and about the metric thread and imperial dimensioning, its an on-going problem with our machine shop only using imperial threads and it really really annoys me. Anyway... thanks again.

Message 8 of 9
mpatchus

That is your best option wherever possible.

Save the THREAD tool for external threads.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 9 of 9
Cambo_Slambo

Yeah I have instructed the draughtsmen to do it this way from now on.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report