Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
CadlineSupport
Message 11 of 13 (467 Views)

Re: Can you suppress all part features using ilogic?

07-29-2012 05:13 AM in reply to: CadlineSupport

I appreciate everyone's interest in this topic! All good questions, and yes I apologise for not mentioning that the rule would be run from an assembly.

Here's my workflow:

Lets say we have an assembly of several parts. Each of these parts will have one machining operation (a simple routed profile) performed on it at any given time, and I want to easily switch between these profiles (from the assembly file) to check fit etc. The profile to be used is specified using a parameter in the assembly. As there may be a dozen or so possible machining operations to choose from, they have all been created as features in the parts (with the profile for each machining being brought in as blocks in a derived master part), and I am looking for the simplest way to suppress ALL the other profile extrusions, and then simply make active the ONE profile specified by my parameter. Its a shame that you can't place features in folders to group them and control their suppression that way...

Thanks again for everyone's interest. 

*Expert Elite*
harco
Message 12 of 13 (462 Views)

07-29-2012 07:36 AM in reply to: CadlineSupport

Another option is to use the suppress "if" option in the feature RMB properties.

Though you won't be able to drive it from the assembly as it will create a loop.

You can drive the part and assembly from Excel which will give easy multi parameter changes thereby allowing you to suppress all features at once.

It does need an excel save and an assembly update to force changes.

You could also use your master profile part to hold parameters but would mean editing to switch profiles although this is no more troublesome than editing excel.

Just an idea, maybe won't suit your workflow though.

Hope this helps.

See image

FEATURE CONTROL BY EXCEL.PNG

Active Contributor
CadlineSupport
Message 13 of 13 (444 Views)

08-01-2012 02:18 AM in reply to: CadlineSupport

Harco this is brilliant stuff. I didn't twig that you could use the RMB properties on a feature for this (suppress feature if driving parameter ISN'T the right value. This is exactly what I need and perfect for switching a large number of profiles. Thanks to everyone for your help, the system works! 

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube