Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open custom appearance libraries.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Jam_Jumpin
2284 Views, 3 Replies

Can't open custom appearance libraries.

When I try and open a custom libary I get this error:

"Failed to open material library."

If I create a new library and try and open it I get the same thing. 

My favourites won't load either. 

Any ideas?

Inventor 2013

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hello,

Thank you for having posted your question on this discussion group.

In order to help us to reproduce the error could you describe step by step the manipulations you did before receiving the message?

When you opened your "Appearance (or Material) Browser" from Inventor did you see any yellow triangle indicating Inventor cannot find the (*.adsklib) library file ?

Could you maybe attach some print screens where we could see the problem with the favorites of your material/appearance libraries ?

Many Thanks

Nicolas Bourquin
Message 3 of 4

I click to open the library and I get the error message as shown before.

It will then show me the name of the library I tried to load in the side bar but it has a yellow triangle. 

I've tried it both on network and local locations and the samea thing happens. 

If I create a new library and try and open that, the same thing happens. 

Favourites used to work but now that has the yellow triangle too. 

Message 4 of 4

Thank you for your answer.

Did you install the SP1.1 and update 1 of Inventor 2013 (including improvements of the material/appearance libraries feature)? If not could you install them ?

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=DL20442029

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=DL20857064

Are your personal material/appearance libraries correctly declared in the project file (ipj) ?

Can you access and use the “standard material /apperances libraries” (Autodesk and Inventor Material/ Appearance libraries)?

The yellow triangle only means the link between Inventor and the file (adsklib) whas been broken…. Right click on the Yellow triangle > Locate Library > and try to browse the correct adsklib file.

The problem could come if you made a “copy and past” of an existing adsklib file using windows explorer for example.

In your case I propose you:

1)      in the appearance/material browsers to remove all your personal libraries

2)      idem in material browser

3)      close all inventor files and access to the project file (ipj) and remove all the links to a) all the personal libraries b) Inventor Library (Keep Autodesk library link)> save project file > close inventor

4)      restart Inventor > start a new ipt file > recreate a personal library from scratch > save the adsklib file somewhere Inventor can access > save ipt file > close ipt file > open ipj file > declare the location of the new created library under appearance and material sections > save ipj file > close Inventor and restart > verify if the problem is solved.

Let me know if you would need additional information.

ManyThanks

Best Regards,

Nicolas Bourquin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report