Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Import Non-Inventor Files (Inventor 2010)

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
DesignerGuy1
868 Views, 2 Replies

Can't Import Non-Inventor Files (Inventor 2010)

I have looked over the discussion groups, and haven't found an answer to my question.  That may not mean that it isn't there, it may just mean that I don't know the proper terms to search for it.

I am having an issue with my AutoCAD Inventor Suite 2010.  I installed Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2012 on June 24, and can no longer open, translate, or import any files into Inventor 2010, other than native Inventor files.  For example, I have a SAT file that I downloaded from Reid Supply that I need to use in an assembly, but I am not given the option to open it using Inventor 2010.  When I expand the 'Files of type:' pull down in the 'Open' dialog, all I get are the standard Inventor file types (see attached screen shot).  If I select 'All Files (*.*)', the SAT file shows up, but Inventor gives me an error that says it "Failed to open document."

If I try to start a model and import a file using the import command on the manage tab, import is grayed out, so I cannot import files that way, either (see other attached screen shot).

There are two other computers in my office that are nearly identical to mine in respect to hardware, with the only difference being that they have 8GB DDR3 RAM installed, and I have 12GB DDR3 RAM.  They also have Inventor 2010 installed next to Inventor 2012.  These computers can open all the files that Inventor can open by default, while my workstation is stuck with only Inventor files.  My computer DOES have Inventor 2011 installed, too, while the other two do not, if that makes any difference.  I will note, however, that like my install of Inventor 2012, 2011 does show the option to open non-native Inventor files (STEP, SAT, IGES, SolidWorks, etc.).

My computer is:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Operating System

{Due to issues in the past involving windows updates and Autodesk products not playing nicely together, my IT department has locked out all windows updates except the Forefront Security Client updates, and the last operating system updates that were performed on this machine are the ones that were done immediately after the computer was first turned on in late March}

Dell Precision M6500 Mobile Workstation

Intel Core i7 CPU (Q 840 @ 1.87 GHz 1.87 GHz)

12.0 GB DDR3 RAM

Nvidia Quadro FX 2800M Graphics Card

The Inventor I am having trouble with is:

Inventor 2010 Subscription Advantage Pack Service Pack 3

If anyone out there has any ideas on how to solve this, they would be greatly appreciated.  (Opinions that I should only use 2012 from here on out will not be appreciated, however, since I have clients that insist on continuing to use 2010 for the time being, and they're (indirectly) paying my bills Smiley Happy.)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi DesignerGuy1,

If you go to the Tools tab and click the Add-ins button you should see a list of all of the loaded Inventor add-ins. The non-Inventor files are imported via the various translator add-in. If you don't see them listed there you can try the two links found at the bottom of this link:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/02/autodesk-inventor-add-ins-not-working_22.html

Autodesk Inventor Missing add ins.png

I hope this helps.

Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,

Curtis

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/

Message 3 of 3

Thank you, Curtis.  That's about the only place I hadn't tried looking.  I don't think I would have ever thought of looking there, either.

All the import check boxes were un-checked, so I set them up to load at startup, and restarted Inventor, now it all works.

Once again, thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report