Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not convert an IDW file to an AutoCAD DWG

44 REPLIES 44
SOLVED
Message 1 of 45
MicahelASC
5143 Views, 44 Replies

Can not convert an IDW file to an AutoCAD DWG

I have some Inventor drawing files that a client wants in an AutoCAD 2007 format.  Ever time I try to convert the .idw to an autocad .dwg I get this message, "Problems encountered while saving the document."  So far this is what I've tried:

1. Save copy as -> Save as type: AutoCAD DWG files (*.dwg) -> error message

2. Export to DWG -> Save as type: AutoCAD DWG files (*.dwg) -> error message

I am able to save as an Inventor DWG but I need it as an AutoCAD DWG... I think.  I read somewhere that Autocad 2007 won't read the DWG unless its in an AutoCAD DWG format.

I am running Inventor 2014 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Thanks Mike

44 REPLIES 44
Message 2 of 45
blair
in reply to: MicahelASC

I believe that you need to have DWG TrueView installed on the system to be able to export to good-old AutoCAD. It will then allow you to select the version you wish to save to from Inventor.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 45
MicahelASC
in reply to: blair

I have DWG TrueView installed.
Message 4 of 45
MicahelASC

I also tried this method

1) Press [Windows] key to open the Windows' start page

2) Type "cmd" to find "Command Prompt" > right mouse click on it

> select "Run as administrator"

3) On "Administrator: Command Proompt" window, type

cd "c:\program files\autodesk\Inventor 2014\bin"

then

inventor /install

4) Wait for 1 min (inventor will be executed background then exit silently)

Which did not work for me

Message 5 of 45
rdyson

Have you tried converting them with trueview?

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 45
blair
in reply to: rdyson

Check that the Translators are loaded in the Add-In Manager

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 45
MicahelASC
in reply to: blair

Can you give more info on what your talking about.  How do I go about doing this?

Message 8 of 45
MicahelASC
in reply to: rdyson

It looks like using trueview only converts to Inventor DWG not an AutoCAD DWG. I need to convert to AutoCAD DWG. Am I doing something wrong or is that how it works?
Message 9 of 45
blair

Use the Export function within Inventor and not the Save File or Save Copy as.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 45
Jonka45

Use the export to DWG, change save as type to "autocad dwg" then click options and change to 2007 dwg. it should now work.

Inventor 2022 Proffesional
Alienware Aurora R8
Windows 10 pro
Inside Leg 35 inch
Message 11 of 45
MicahelASC
in reply to: Jonka45

From Inventor I've tried doing, export AutoCAD DWG and that's when I get the error pop up. I have also tried from TrueView to export to 2007 but my client "says" they have not got a compatible file.
Message 12 of 45
Jonka45

Sorry thats all i have got! mine works from idw and inventor dwg no errors.

Try running this ilogic from the drawing, as i use this to export dwg to 2007 and a pdf. You will need to change the path to where you want them to save to (in red below). The ilogic is from an autodesk blog that had lots of positive feed back and works fine for me.

if that dosent work then its probably your set up or instalation.

'------start of iLogic-------
oPath = ThisDoc.Path oFileName = ThisDoc.FileName(False) 'without extension
oRevNum = iProperties.Value("Project", "Revision Number") oPDFAddIn = ThisApplication.ApplicationAddIns.ItemById _ ("{0AC6FD96-2F4D-42CE-8BE0-8AEA580399E4}") oDocument = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument oContext = ThisApplication.TransientObjects.CreateTranslationContext oContext.Type = IOMechanismEnum.kFileBrowseIOMechanism oOptions = ThisApplication.TransientObjects.CreateNameValueMap oDataMedium = ThisApplication.TransientObjects.CreateDataMedium If oPDFAddIn.HasSaveCopyAsOptions(oDataMedium, oContext, oOptions) Then oOptions.Value("All_Color_AS_Black") = 0 oOptions.Value("Remove_Line_Weights") = 1 oOptions.Value("Vector_Resolution") = 1200 oOptions.Value("Sheet_Range") = Inventor.PrintRangeEnum.kPrintAllSheets 'oOptions.Value("Custom_Begin_Sheet") = 2'oOptions.Value("Custom_End_Sheet") = 4End If 'get PDF target folder path
oFolder = "F:\Leo\cad drgs\INVENTOR EXPORTS" PdfFolder = oFolder & "\PDF" 'Set the PDF target file nameoDataMedium.FileName = PdfFolder & "\" & oFileName & _ "-Rev-" & oRevNum & ".pdf" 'Publish documentoPDFAddIn.SaveCopyAs(oDocument, oContext, oOptions, oDataMedium) '------end of iLogic------- strDWFX = oFolder & "\DWFX\" ThisDoc.Document.SaveAs(strDWFX & oFileName & "-REV-" & oRevNum & (".dwfx"), True) strDWG = oFolder & "\DWG\" ThisDoc.Document.SaveAs(strDWG & oFileName & "-REV-" & oRevNum & (".dwg"), True)
Alienware Aurora R8
Windows 10 pro
Inside Leg 35 inch
Message 13 of 45
Davarn-Tool&Die

I'm Sorry that nothing seems to work for you, and I'm sorry if this seems redundant, but this is a step by step.

1. I load a IDW file with multiple sheets.

2. I select EXPORT TO DWG.

3. I change SAVE AS TYPE: to AutoCAD DWG files (*.dwg)

4. I click on Options.

5. I change file version to Autocad 2007 Drawing.

6. I click next.

7. I click on ALL SHEETS.

8. I click Finish.

9. I change to the folder I want and click save.

This works every time and I use it nearly every day.

Best wishes

David Arnold

Designer-New Dies

Motor City Stamping Inc.

Desk: 586-949-8420 Ext. 184

Email: darnold@mcstamp.com
 www.MCStamp.com

Message 14 of 45

Just to clarity you are doing this through TrueView correct?
Message 15 of 45

This is thru Inventor 2014.
Message 16 of 45

I never noticed the options button before but...it still doesn't work. When I change "save as type" to "AutoCAD DWG" the options button gets grayed out and I cant click on it.
Message 17 of 45

Hmm. That's revealing. Can you take a screen shot and paste it in here?
Message 18 of 45
MicahelASC

I've never really used iLogic before so I'm not familiar with it.  So I was just clicking around on some of the things and I'm pretty sure something is screwed up. 

1. I can't really do anthing with out a error message coming up. "Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application.  If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue." -> I click continue and nothing happens.  Attached is the details to the error message

2. I can't get out of the iLogic window once it pops up.  I literally have to start task manager and end task for Inventor 2014.

Message 19 of 45

Not sure if this is screen shot you want but here is the "option" button grayed out.

Message 20 of 45
Jonka45

If you right click on a face of a model (ipt not assembly) and select "export face as" can you save to .dwg there and are the options still Grayed out? 

Alienware Aurora R8
Windows 10 pro
Inside Leg 35 inch

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report