Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a part make alterations to an other part when inserting in an assembly?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
n.schotten
717 Views, 7 Replies

Can a part make alterations to an other part when inserting in an assembly?

I've been wondering for some time now if Inventor has this ability.

I have a part that has protrutions. When i mate that part up to another part that second part needs to have cutouts/holes to receive those protrutions.

i mainly use it in sheetmetal parts. and use the rectangular protrutions on de contour to mate up with corresponding cutouts in the other sheet. this helps with positioning and also makes for a nice weld spot/area.

But also for making holes to comodate a mold pin used in custom punch dies. I want the intervering part to receive a corresponding (propperly tolleranced) hole automaticaly. Much like a bolted connection does.

same for parts like circlips. i want them to automaticaly generate the seat in the part it's mated to. Rather than using the axle generator.

Ofcourse one can place the parts and do an in assembly interpart projection and go from there, but i want the part to generate the (predifined) modification to the other part. It would save time and also reduces problems as the parts are moved about or even removed.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: n.schotten

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
n.schotten
in reply to: JDMather

How does a link to a support form help?

Or is it a bit short/terse to let me know that Inventor does not have such a feature?

If so.. why not link to a fearture request form? 

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

First line on that site -

"Use the form below to tell us what you think about our products, their features, and any improvements you would like to see."

I think I saw several instances of the word "automatic" in your problem description.

I think it can be done with Copy Object as surfaces and then Sculpt or using Derived Component - but I don't think that would meet your definition of automatic even if it is associative.

Inventor Tooling works very much as you describe so I assume it could be done, but is not presently in the main worklfow of standard Inventor.

You might try the link I posted originally and suggest any improvements you would like to see.

Improvements.png

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
JDMather

Here is another link.

http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1203

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
n.schotten

Right... This makes more sense 🙂

So you think it's fair to say that a part having an assosiated hole/ extruded/revolved cut(subtract) is not currently possible? To bad. and i'll put it up as a feature request. And if others do to it will stand a better chance. 

Message 7 of 8
JDMather

No, that isn't what exactly what I meant.
It can be done now with Copy Object or Derived Component (and then additional work like Sculpt or Split).
What I said is that current methods aren't what I expect would meet your definition of automatic.

What I said is that Inventor Tooling does do this fairly automatically in the mold environment (including entry of clearance tolerances) - therefore I'm implying that the developers could achieve what you want. 

How many seats of Inventor do you have?  If you have a couple of thousand seats you are more likely to get attention on this request.

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
n.schotten

Allass.. just the one seat.

Although we have a 'partner' company that also has 1 seat and does some of what we do (they outsource some design and special builds to the company i work for). so they have the same 'problem' as i have. but he just designs the tab and hole at a static location rather than dynamicly linkt between parts. (measure to fit rather than project loop to fit)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report