Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can NOT Thread holes with the Thread Tool. Please Help

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
dorman0351
10188 Views, 20 Replies

Can NOT Thread holes with the Thread Tool. Please Help

I can drill a hole as needed, but can't thread a hole at all. Not with the Tapped Hole function when drilling the hole, or after drilling the hole then using the Thread Tool. Inventor will just not let me create threads this way outside of cutting a coil.

If anyone knows why this is happening, what I'm doing wrong, and could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: dorman0351

Do you have Microsoft Excell 2003 or 2007 on your system? Has it been run once?

Excel is required for many portions of Inventor to work properly.

What version of Inventor are you running?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 3 of 21
dorman0351

I'm running Inventor Pro 2011.

I don't have any Microsoft Office products as I use OpenOffice.org.

I went through my registry and made a change that tells Inventor to use Excel or some other Windows program.

Changed it to use Excel, and everything works fine now, even though I don't have Excel.

Appreciate you getting back with me though. Hopefully I don't have to make another post for this.

Message 4 of 21
blair

Even though, OpenOffice can read and write Excel files, there are slight changes to the file handling characteristics. The easiest solution to this would be to install Microsoft Excel as listed in the Autodesk Inventor system requirements.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 21
marco.bellante

I have the same problem with thread holes, would you mind telling me how you changed your registry to make Inventor use Excel? Thank you in anticipation for your early reply.

Marco Bellante

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 21
JDMather
in reply to: marco.bellante

See attached.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 21
jeaton01

Thanks for the Word doc, fixed my issue!

Message 8 of 21
marco.bellante

Thank you, but I managed to create threads shifting from normal user rights to Administrator rights.

Message 9 of 21
prhudson

When I encountered this problem I found that the project I was working with had the "Design Data" project folder option changed.

Some time back, I used the Style Library Manger to create an empty Style Library in a new folder. I then used that empty Style Library as the "Design Data" folder for my project. What I did not realize was that I would lose the

thread functionality when I created the empty style library.

If the "Design Data" folder is not the default folder, the "thread.xls" may be missing. Or as in my case, the "thread.xls" was there, but that it was an empty Excel file.

Since Inventor fails to find any thread data in the "thread.xls" Excel file, it does not allow for the tread option to be selected.

Lesson learned: Never create an empty style library. Always copy the default style library and then modify that copy.

Message 10 of 21

Hello,

i have the same problem.The real problem is that my computer are two users.me and adminsitrator.For my account the thread doesn'n work but for administrator  user yes. How could i fix that? There is a solution for my problem?

Best regards,

Olivian

Message 11 of 21
blair
in reply to: olivian.diaconescu

If it can find the folder when you are logged in as Administrator, I would look at increasing your user level to a minimum of Power-User (as recommended by Autodesk).

You could have a problem with your User Profile on the system (may need to recreate), but I would look at sercurity levels first.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 21
arout

Ok, but how to go to registry ,and in which folder can i make this change? I have Libre office, should i turn it into ms office?

Message 13 of 21
blair
in reply to: arout

This thread concerns OpenOffice and Inventor. The Word Document posted in this thread explains how to go about editing the Windows Registry.

Never heard of Libre Office before, I have no idea how it interfaces. Best suggestion would be to install OpenOffice, you might be able to use the current version of OpenOffice without having to edit the Windows Registry.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 21
bvolken
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks.  The registry fix worked for me in Inventory 2014 too.

Message 15 of 21
Ollipernu
in reply to: JDMather

Hi! 

I have the same issue but I have Inventor professional 2017. So in the regedit the registryVersion is 21.0. There is no file called "UseExcelToReadThreadFile" under the part folder. I tried to add new DWORD and name it "UseExcelToReadThreadFile" and change value 0 to 1 but it didn'd work. 

Message 16 of 21
mcgyvr
in reply to: Ollipernu

@Ollipernu wrote:

Hi! 

I have the same issue but I have Inventor professional 2017. So in the regedit the registryVersion is 21.0. There is no file called "UseExcelToReadThreadFile" under the part folder. I tried to add new DWORD and name it "UseExcelToReadThreadFile" and change value 0 to 1 but it didn'd work. 

@Ollipernu  Thats really old/outdated information now..

Do you have Excel installed?

Do you want to use iparts/ifeatures,etc...?

If not try this..

you can create the following Environmental variable:

• Go to Control Panel > System> Advanced System Settings> System Properties, Advanced Tab.
  • Create a new Environmental variable called "UseLibXL" with a variable value of 1
  • Retry your clearance/threaded hole creation in Inventor. 

This will attempt to use the 3rd party component in Windows instead of Excel. It doesn't support all aspects of what Excel provides but it should  work for holes.  

If you work with other features like iPart, iFeature which require Excel, please use the full Version of Excel. This is specified as system requirement for Inventor:  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 17 of 21
Ollipernu
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi! 

I have Excel and I don't try to use iparts or ifeatures. I'm just trying to make threads on the shaft and in the holes..

Message 18 of 21
blair

Can you post the offending IPT file(s) that are showing this behavior.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 19 of 21
johnsonshiue

Hi! Is the Excel the one with Excel.exe on your machine? Inventor needs Excel.exe installed on the machine to enable certain Excel dependent workflows.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 20 of 21
Ollipernu
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Yes it is.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report