Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Split a model in half and then mirror it?

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
steambc
3036 Views, 19 Replies

Can I Split a model in half and then mirror it?

I decided to model an industrial iron caster wheel with polyurethane tread, and all went well. Tonight I added three ribs to one side of the caster wheel, which looks great, but I would rather not repeat the process on the other side becaise of all the fillets and such which would have to be repeated.

Is it possible to split the wheel down the middle and then mirror the side with the ribs? I saw that I can split the model with a plane, but I can't figure out how to remove the geometry on the left side of the plane.

Thanks for any help. I'm sure my design intent was not what it should be before starting, but I'm new at this and am discovering as I go along.

Inventor 2013

Rendering is below. The other side is without the ribs.

Thanks!

Wheel.jpg

Steam

Using Inventor Pro 2015
Tags (3)
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
blair
in reply to: steambc

Post the file(s) here so others can see how you have modeled it to properly comment.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 20
JDMather

As indicated - attach your file here as I suspect you might have done too much work already.

It would be trivially easy to split and mirror, but let's see what you have so far as it might be even easier than that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 20
blair

I suspect you are doing far to much work. I did 1/4 of the profile on the XY plane with the origin/center of the caster at the Origin Point, did the Revolution. Then created WorkPlane1 offset from the hub face for the sketch for the Rib. Did a single Rib and used the Circular Pattern to create the other ribs and then the fillets. Since I created the caster wheel using the Origin point for the Center of the Wheel, this then allowed me to use the existing XZ Plane to Mirror the completed side of the wheel.

Capture.JPG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 20
steambc
in reply to: blair

Thanks. Blair, I appreciate your going the extra mile to demonstrate the procedure for me.

When I first modeled the wheel I had no intention of doing the ribs, but decided later to take them on knowing that in order to do it correctly I would need to start from scratch.

For the ribs I created an offset plane from the hub and created a sketch of three lines, and then created the three ribs, then did the fillets. Even still, my intent was to only do one side since I was only trying to determine whether to paint the hubs black in real life (I'm restoring a c.1920 amusement park ride), so for that purpose I wouldn't need the other side.

Then of course I realized this was a learning opportunity and that I should rethink the design of the wheel to comply with accepted standards and to engrain them into my way of thinking. Naturally doing 1/4 of the profile would set me up for perfect execution, had I planned it in advance.

So now armed with the knowledge you've given me I'm going to create a new one tonight and utilize your strategy because I'm here to learn and I have great respect for a man when he gives me his time and instruction.

It's appreciated.

Steam

Using Inventor Pro 2015
Message 6 of 20
steambc

I should ask, for the sake of understanding what is possible or not, can an existing model be sliced in half, with one half being discarded and the other half mirrored?

Steam

Using Inventor Pro 2015
Message 7 of 20
blair

Depending on how you modeled it it could be cut/split and then mirrored. When ever possible try and use the Origin point as the center/middle of your model.

You could have simply done a single rib and used the Pattern Componet command to fill in as many ribs as required.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 20
steambc

Thanks. Yes, I did go back and per your instructions created a new wheel with 1/4 profile, then created a new plane -1" from the outer rim. created one line on the new sketch and then made the single rib. After that I used a pattern feature command to create the other two ribs. Finally I mirrored the wheel to create a full one with 3 ribs on each side.

I'm pretty sure I created the original wheel longitudinally centered on an axis so theoretically I should be able to use that plane to slice it up the middle. I didn't fellet them since I seem to have that down pretty well. I wanted to concentrate on the pattern function to creat multiple objects or features.

Can you tell me how to do that if possible? Either the method is staring me right in the face and I just don't see it, or else it's not really practical to do so. Things have a way of hiding from my perception when my brain is fried enough from exhaustion.

Thanks again!

Steam

Using Inventor Pro 2015
Message 9 of 20
blair

The Mirror function, mirrors the selected Feature(s) used to create the part, so depending on the geometry after the slice. This is really a useless extra step and not sound modeling.

Not really sure what you are asking for in your final paragraph.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 20
steambc

Yes, I fully understand it's not sound modeling.

Let's say a client asks me to build a plastic case for his Electronic Mother-In-Law Silencer. The case must be asymetrical to allow for a heat sink since there will be times when the silencer must run at full power (Mother's Day, Christmas, etc.).  😉

The case is designed, but later he calls me and says that his engineers have found a way to use a different power transistor that runs cooler and therefore the large heat sink isn't necessary. He now wants the case to be perfectly symetrical. I wouldn't want to model the entire case again but rather slice it in half, delete the side with the heat sink protrusion and mirror the remaining side to yield me a symetrical piece.

This is a similar scenario to my wheel. I'm thinking of it as a time-saving move, in order to avoid reinventing the wheel should all the facts not be present at the time of the initial design.

Steam

Using Inventor Pro 2015
Message 11 of 20
blair

You are mirroring "Features" that created the body, about a Work Plane and not a cut body. This may work for some models but don't hold your breath for all models.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 20
JDMather

@steambc wrote:

I should ask, for the sake of understanding what is possible or not, can an existing model be sliced in half, with one half being discarded and the other half mirrored?

Yes.  Slice removing half (or whatever).

Mirror (body, not features) is easiest.

Attach your file here and end all doubt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 13 of 20
steambc
in reply to: JDMather

I don't doubt it at all... I just want to know how, since I can't find the elusive "slice" command even though I'm certain it's right there in front of my face!

I'll be at my office in a few minutes and will upload the file. Thanks for taking an interest.

Steam

Using Inventor Pro 2015
Message 14 of 20
blair

start a sketch on the surface, draw a bounding box to enclose all that you want removed/cut and use the Extrude command, with the cut option.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 20
steambc

@Blair wrote:

start a sketch on the surface, draw a bounding box to enclose all that you want removed/cut and use the Extrude command, with the cut option.

Worked perfectly. Thanks. I knew there had to be a simple, elegant way.

Steam

Using Inventor Pro 2015
Message 16 of 20
steambc

@Anonymous wrote:

@steambc wrote:

Yes.  Slice removing half (or whatever).

Mirror (body, not features) is easiest.

Attach your file here and end all doubt.

Here's the file. I am a rank beginner and it shows, but I'm getting there. I'm currently doing the CADGorilla tutorials. I did follow Blair's suggestion and successfully sliced the wheel in half and then mirror the body, but here's the file in case you want to look at it.
Thanks again.
Steam

Using Inventor Pro 2015
Message 17 of 20
JDMather

@steambc wrote:

... I can't find the elusive "slice" command even though I'm certain it's right there in front of my face!

In Inventor it is called Split.

Can also be done with Sculpt

or Extrude cut.

Looking at your file I see that you are doing too much work.

You should not have any repeating dimensions for this part and your sketch1 is not constrained.

I recommend you read this document.

Tomorrow I will try to attach example of how I would have done Sketch1.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

EESignature

Message 18 of 20
SBix26

Ditto blair's and JD's comments regarding basic modeling technique (since I learned from them on this forum, I guess that's a given!).  Assuming that your part is centered on the YZ plane, use the Split tool with the Trim Solid option selected and the YZ plane as the split tool (see Split Tool - Trim Solid.png below).  Then use the Mirror tool with the Mirror Solid option selected and use the YZ plane as the mirror plane (see Mirror Solid.png below).  I think this is what you were asking in your original post.

Message 19 of 20
steambc

Thanks JDM.

Yes, I recognize that learning how to be as efficient and elegant as possible is key. I appreciate the tips.

Steam

Using Inventor Pro 2015
Message 20 of 20
steambc
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks Sam. That's exactly what I was looking for, the "Split" function, and I knew it was right under my nose. It amazes me how the human brain can prevent the perception of something that is right in front of our eyes.

I took a look at your images and I appreciate your efforts to clarify. I tried it and of course it worked perfectly.

Thanks again to all for your help!

Steam

Using Inventor Pro 2015

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report