Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calibration of CAD software

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
karthur1
1301 Views, 15 Replies

Calibration of CAD software

During a recent audit, an inspector asked me how can do I "Calibrate" our CAD software.  I told him that we didn't need to since it was commercial software.  That it had already been verified by the manufacturer (Autodesk, Inc.).  That seemed to please him and he moved on.  When we got the final report, there was a recommendation that we develop a method to "Calibrate" our CAD software.

Rather than "calibrate", I think that we just need to verify that it is accurate.  If we found some inaccuracies, then we could deal with that later.

One easy way that I could think was to draw a cube X x Y x Z and then verify that the volume is accurate.  Of course it could be a 1in cube, 1ft cube or 100ft cube..... either way it should give the correct volume. I just don't know of any other way to prove to this dip-wit what I draw is an accurate length.

Has anyone else been asked to do this for Inventor?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
mrattray
in reply to: karthur1

How exactly would you calibrate a CAD package? That's completely rediculous. Did he ask you to calibrate your calculator? That's all Inventor is, a really high end graphing calculator.

Create a dimension that is equal to 2 inches + 2 inches and show him that the line comes out to be 4 inches long.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 16
mcgyvr

how silly IMO..

You aren't really measuring anything with Inventor. The measurements are done with phyical measurement devices based on dimensions provided by your software only.  Frankly I would just stick a "calibration not required" sticker on the Inventor box and stuff it back in the closet.

Guess others have come across this.

http://asqasktheexperts.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/calibration-of-autocad-software/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 16
nannerdw

Maybe he was confusing "CAD" with "CAM."

Message 5 of 16
JDMather

@karthur1 wrote:

During a recent audit, an inspector asked me how can do I "Calibrate" our CAD software. 

I hold up my calipers to the screen.   Smiley Very Happy

Can you identify this person and organization?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 16
hosford

take a look at this web page

http://asqasktheexperts.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/calibration-of-autocad-software/

Thaddeus Hosford
NUC9i9QNX i9-9980HK, Win 10 Pro 64
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021
Message 7 of 16
karthur1

I agree with everyone here that this request is TOTALLY rediculous.  I think he is was just looking for something to put in his report actually. But, now that he has put this in there, we have to resolve it or we could lose our certification.

He didn't ask about the CAM software or Excel that we use. I didnt want to open that can and cause us more grief.  I looked at the "Ask the Expert" page that a couple of you linked to, and that is basically what we told him.

JD, this is AISC auditor. 

Message 8 of 16
JDMather

I understand what he was after (I think), how do you validate your processes.
But the terminology he used and if no other context of the question was presented I would liken this to a Dilbert cartoon ( http://dilbert.com/ ) - jargon with no meaning, trying to sound professional but instead sounding clueless.  And to top it off it makes the responder seem to be the clueless one unless they instantly recognize the institutional jargon and respond appropriately.

In the follow-up when you do respond appropriately the reviewer will notate that as progress in response to his review.  Nothing changed, just the perception. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 16
RogerMollon
in reply to: JDMather

Maybe the auditor was thinking about any analysis you do.  You may have been on the right track with your initial mass properties idea.  Do you perform any stress analysis on your designs?  There are certifications for FEA codes.  This is really CAE not CAD, but who knows.  The guys over in the Simulation discussion group might be able to help.  Here's a certification thread over there: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Simulation-Mechanical/Algor-Simulation-Accuracy-Benchmarks/m-...

I hope this helps,

Roger Mollon
Forge - Strategic Tech Consultant - Novi
Autodesk, Inc. - Retired
Message 10 of 16
mcgyvr
in reply to: RogerMollon

FEA is NOT a measurement tool either and as such should NOT require calibration/validation.

No one in their right mind would rely 100% on the output of a FEA program. Its simply a "get in the ballpark" design tool that should NEVER replace real world performance measurments.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 16
kstate92

Export a model in a neutral format and verify that file in (something else)? But then, how do you verify / calibrate that (something else)? It's turtles all the way down.

Maybe ask Autodesk for some sort of certification, but I bet somewhere in the 1-point EULA text is something along the lines of 'don't bother asking, pal'.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 12 of 16
Ryan.Martinez
in reply to: kstate92

Next they are going to ask you how you calibrated your calculator. This seems totally crazy to me.

P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 13 of 16
hfds006
in reply to: kstate92

Thankfully we have never had to deal with this "calibration" question.

Thinking about this I've realized we do have something that could be used to verify the accuracy of our software.

We make a variety of parts that are waterjet cut from steel plate. Typical we produce our part and drawing in Inventor and then save a copy of the Inventor drawing as an AutoCad drawing. The AutoCad drawing is imported into our vendors waterjetting software to be used as a template.

The fact that the finished parts can be physically measured and found to be accurate should verify that our software is accurate. Of course I guess you have to take into account the accuracy of the waterjet process, which is pretty hig but like any manufacturing process not 100%.

Finally, I agree with the others that have stated that this is a silly question.

Richard in Houston

Message 14 of 16
mrattray
in reply to: hfds006

CAD is all math. 2+2 will equal 4 no matter what means you use to calculate it. You can't measure math, you can't calibrate it, it just is what it is. Are you going to suggest that if you were to calculate 2+2 on a really mega-fancy pi calculating calculator that can go out to 2000 places, that 2+2 might actually come out slightly off from 4?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 15 of 16
mpatchus
in reply to: mrattray

2+2 = 4 only for civilian work, when you work for the government, then it equals whatever the committee formed to evaluate it says it equals.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 16 of 16
mrattray
in reply to: mpatchus

In that case, 2+2=5! Smiley Happy

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report