Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating total volume in Inventor?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Infallable
30149 Views, 9 Replies

Calculating total volume in Inventor?

Hello,

I want to know if it is possible to calculate the water displacement volume of an assembly if it were immersed in water.

In other words,  I want to create a file in which ALL hollow spaces inside structural members, valves, pipework etc are assumed to be solid so that when that assembly is dropped in water, the total volume of water being displaced will be equal to the iProperty value for volume.  I know its possible to hole patch when creating a shrinkwrap,  but this is only effective for 'circuler' hollow spaces and does not fill obscure or rectangular shaped empty volumes.

Regards and thanks in advance,

Josh

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
PaulMunford
in reply to: Infallable

Check out this post from mark Flayler:

http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/2010/01/determine-volume-of-a-container-using-autodesk-inventor....

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 10
bobvdd
in reply to: PaulMunford

Another solution when you are working with 2013 is to use the "Fluid volume" function that is available in Fusion 2013.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 4 of 10
PaulMunford
in reply to: bobvdd

Ooo! an Easter Egg!

Cheers Bob 😉

Message 5 of 10
mflayler2

That Fluid Volume tool is a godsend for CFD use.  I originally thought it only integrated for CFD and Simulation, very happy to see it in normal Fusion.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 6 of 10
PaulMunford
in reply to: mflayler2

I can't wait to see you post on it Mark 😉

Message 7 of 10
Infallable

Hi Paul,

Ive seen that video before actually!  It's very useful for single components but for something fairly complicated (see attached image) it doesnt work.  I can do hole patching in a shrinkwrap on the attached assembly but obviously this only applies when you have 'circular' holes...

Message 8 of 10
mflayler2

When I look at that model, the word rough estimate comes to mind.

take the volume of the model right now, and then make a seperate part representative of the outside extents.  Then do some simple math to get close.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 9 of 10
bcrowell

I have considered making calculating accurate volumes my mission to accomplish with Inventor even if it kills me.  Our product is a filled shell, with many internal components of different materials and our CG is very important.  I have found a way with simpler assemblies to fill gaps, etc (using the weldment), but some assemblies are nearly impossible or not yet possible to weld.

However, in your case, are all the parts solid (closed end) already?  It looks like you could draw a simple rectangle outside the assembly and create a derived part, subtracting your assembly from the "block" you created around it.  You can take the diffence in volume of the "block" and what is left after you subtract your assembly to form the new block and that should be your displacement.  Hopefully...?  What you would have to do I suppose is isolate the one big remaining block because you would have all kinds of trash remaining inside the tubes and hollow parts, etc. 

You may want to do a test with that and see if it results in a multi-body situation (best case) or a single body solution (not much help at all).  Even with a single body you could try and select the interior (Delete Face) lumps, but very time-consuming still. 

That might be why the new derive as a solid feature in 2013 came about, but I have only read about it so far and could completely misunderstand its function.

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
Message 10 of 10
jcos3

Go to the iproperties dialog box.  Open the "Physical" tab.  Click on "Update" and the General Properties will be filled out, volume included.  If you have the correct material, density, and mass can also be trusted as being correct.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report