Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser search?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ltspd
342 Views, 7 Replies

Browser search?

HELP!

I have a HUGE assembly with issues on the .idw that has been previoulsy created. I have unresloved links on corrupt files that were brought into IV from MDT on older releases.

I need to be able to search and find these 2 files to delete them from the main assembly. The assembly itself I would guess to be well over 10mb alone and its mind boggling on the number of parts and assy inside it's structure.

Is there a way to seach for the files inside the browser? The files themselves are blank and unopenable.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ltspd

Use Kent's KwikFind. http://www.kwikmcad.com/ You could also use IV's find function (Edit-Find). A little more clunky than Kent's tool, but it does work. For the property, try "Files with Name", (condition) Includes, (Value)name of parts. This is all providing these rogue files are indeed listed somplace in the browser. QBZ "Ltspd" wrote in message news:18388969.1093454938291.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > HELP! > > I have a HUGE assembly with issues on the .idw that has been previoulsy created. I have unresloved links on corrupt files that were brought into IV from MDT on older releases. > > I need to be able to search and find these 2 files to delete them from the main assembly. The assembly itself I would guess to be well over 10mb alone and its mind boggling on the number of parts and assy inside it's structure. > > Is there a way to seach for the files inside the browser? The files themselves are blank and unopenable.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

In the assembly, is the "Recover" (red cross) displayed as having found problems? Will that help you located the parts? Are there constraints placed to the bad parts? If so, perhaps flipping your browser into MODELING VIEW and then opening the Constraints folder will help you find the parts? The browser itself does not support a search function however, there is a FIND COMPONENTS IN ASSEMBLY function under the Edit dropdown menu which might also help you to isolate the suspect files.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Wouldn't a browser sort be nice? -- IV R8, sp1 Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 2 Gb ram nVidia FX1000 6.14.10.6808Driver 1260x1024x32 bit "Ltspd" wrote in message news:18388969.1093454938291.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > HELP! > > I have a HUGE assembly with issues on the .idw that has been previoulsy created. I have unresloved links on corrupt files that were brought into IV from MDT on older releases. > > I need to be able to search and find these 2 files to delete them from the main assembly. The assembly itself I would guess to be well over 10mb alone and its mind boggling on the number of parts and assy inside it's structure. > > Is there a way to seach for the files inside the browser? The files themselves are blank and unopenable.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

> Wouldn't a browser sort be nice? Yup... ...there are a number of things that would make browser life nicer. - G
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Yeah ... I can think of a couple; like an inline features option maybe: fillets, chamfers, iparts et al that can be set to fold under the parts they go with and/or under the workplane they are built on if so desired. ~Larry "Gary R. Smith (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:412d0f0d$1_3@newsprd01... > > Wouldn't a browser sort be nice? > > Yup... > > ...there are a number of things that would make browser life nicer. > > - G > >
Message 7 of 8
ltspd

Slick 😉

I got the problem fixed, a co-worker found the bad file nested 2 deep with visabilty off and deleted it. He knew where is was because he generated it to begin with.
Thanks for the help!
Paul
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

One of the problems with the + recover is it shows you what is wrong but it can be very difficult to get to. Try working in a 1,000 plus part assembly and actually find the part that is having the problem. It sure would be nice if Autodesk could add another option for "Open" or "Isolate". More often than not, in a large assembly, the parts with issues are buried or occluded by all the shadowed stuff in front of it. In the case of constraints, the Doctor UI should provide a method for isolating the "constrained to" parts like the constrained to filter. To be done right, this would include a restore previous representation (design view) For parts with issues, a option to simply open the part would help a lot. What I do today is have the Doctor take me into the part, then I switch to "Feature" selection mode, highlight a feature on the part (once I find it in the graphic window) then pick "Find In Browser" and then RMB and pick Open Part. Gary R. Smith (Autodesk) wrote: >In the assembly, is the "Recover" (red cross) displayed as having found >problems? Will that help you located the parts? > >Are there constraints placed to the bad parts? If so, perhaps flipping your >browser into MODELING VIEW and then opening the Constraints folder will help >you find the parts? > >The browser itself does not support a search function however, there is a >FIND COMPONENTS IN ASSEMBLY function under the Edit dropdown menu which >might also help you to isolate the suspect files. > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report