Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Break Sketch pattern without deleting elements

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
MattBonhage
6537 Views, 4 Replies

Break Sketch pattern without deleting elements

Is there anyway to break a sketched pattern without deleting all the elements?  CATIA has this feature where you can pattern something, then break the relationship of this pattern so you can edit the components as individuals.  It seems the only option in Inventor is to delete the pattern or suppress individual components.   I just want to pattern a line equally spaced 20 times then trim those lines to a bisecting one.  Its annoying to have to draw and constrain all the lines to create a pattern 

I have not found a simple way to do this in Inventor and I'm hoping someone knows how.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: MattBonhage

Can you attach the file here and explain a bit of the design intent - there might be a better way, like feature patttern or Grill.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5

Hi MattBonhage, 

You can right click on one of your patterned lined and then choose Edit Pattern to modify your sketch pattern, Then click the >> button in the lower right hand corner of the dialog box. Then uncheck the Associative checkbox. This will make them individual objects that can be trimmed. But they'll likely need to be dimensioned in place afterward.

As JDMather suggested, most likely there is a better way to do this though.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

If you insist that you need to have sketch pattern - you might be better off patterning a sketch point and then create your lines coincident to the point pattern.  The lines can then be easily trimmed, but their location easily defined by pattern.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5

Thanks Curtis, thats exaxtly what I was looking for.  I was just looking for a quick way to draw a bunch of lines, I'm aware I would need to dimension them.

I am trying to create a wireframe part which I can then use in frame generator. I was having problems with the frame generator and I am trying a new methodology where I draw a complete wireframe instead of using all the bell and whistles (which are causing errors and Inventor issues) in the frame generator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report