Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolted Connection between two C channels not working

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
CRAWSHAWRACING
1200 Views, 4 Replies

Bolted Connection between two C channels not working

Good morning all, I'm trying to connect two channels (bottom flange from one channel to the top flange of the other channel) using the bolted connection and linear positioning. I can select the start plane, both linear edges, hole size, but when I try to select the termination plane Inventor will not allow me to select anything. I've attached the file if that helps clear up any questions. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you for your time, Bob

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: CRAWSHAWRACING

Message 3 of 5
CRAWSHAWRACING
in reply to: cbenner

Sorry about that, Kind of new to Inventor, attached are the files using Pack N Go

Message 4 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: CRAWSHAWRACING

As I suspected... botled connection only works if the start and termination plane are parallel.  Since these are the angled surfaces of 2 channels, they won't work.  Your best bet would be to create a work plane parallel to the start surface at an offset that defines where you want to end the connection, then you can select the work plane as your termination point.

Bear in mind that your start surface is also at an angle... if you want the bolted connection to be square to the world, you may need to either create 2 work planes to set start and finish... or you could "machine" a couple of flats on the channels where the bolts would go.  It all depends on what you want the final result to look like.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 5
CRAWSHAWRACING
in reply to: cbenner

Thank you very much for the information!! I'll use a work plane to get my results.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report