Inventor General Discussion

Reply
*Cross, Gary
Message 1 of 6 (106 Views)

Big Bug? Changing File Names with Design Assistant Corrupts IPN & IDW files

106 Views, 5 Replies
11-03-2002 02:55 PM
What's going on here. Anyone else experiencing this or am I the only one?

So far it seems impossible to change the file name of parts in an assembly
IAM using Design Assistant (outside of IV) without corrupting the associated
IPN & IDW files.

If you change the name back to what it was originally to try to save the
day, you get a message in the IDW file saying the referenced IPN file cannot
be resolved. Please open & resolve it before trying to use it in the IDW
File.
Then, the IPN file cannot be opened at all due to the infamous "Invalid
reference to segmented object used" error.

I hope I am doing something wrong. Otherwise, this is basically a nightmare.
We have to be able to change part & assembly file names down the road on
most projects with out having to do the IPN & IDW files over
everytime-that's nuts.

Project options mode is Multi user=off
Design State of all files is set to WorkinProgress
These are fresh IV6 assemblies & parts used.

Gary Cross
gcross@crossdesign.com
*KJohnson
Message 2 of 6 (106 Views)

Re: Big Bug? Changing File Names with Design Assistant Corrupts IPN & IDW

11-03-2002 08:40 PM in reply to: *Cross, Gary
Are you opening DA on the IDW or the IAM? You need to update the IPN and
IDW in DA too. This is one step if you click DA from the IDW but a little
more complicated from the IAM. You need to select the files that you
renamed in DA before saving changes. You can crtl or shift click more than
one at a time. Then make sure that you have whatever file types checked in
the bottom pane as you require and hit find. This will find all files that
reference the selected files at the top. This way you can change the name
of a part and have the part IDW update to the new part name too. Good luck.

Kathy Johnson
"Gary Cross" wrote in message
news:2AEF62D06796E69E004CEDBD93ACAA46@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> What's going on here. Anyone else experiencing this or am I the only one?
>
> So far it seems impossible to change the file name of parts in an assembly
> IAM using Design Assistant (outside of IV) without corrupting the
associated
> IPN & IDW files.
>
> If you change the name back to what it was originally to try to save the
> day, you get a message in the IDW file saying the referenced IPN file
cannot
> be resolved. Please open & resolve it before trying to use it in the IDW
> File.
> Then, the IPN file cannot be opened at all due to the infamous "Invalid
> reference to segmented object used" error.
>
> I hope I am doing something wrong. Otherwise, this is basically a
nightmare.
> We have to be able to change part & assembly file names down the road on
> most projects with out having to do the IPN & IDW files over
> everytime-that's nuts.
>
> Project options mode is Multi user=off
> Design State of all files is set to WorkinProgress
> These are fresh IV6 assemblies & parts used.
>
> Gary Cross
> gcross@crossdesign.com
>
>
*Cross, Gary
Message 3 of 6 (106 Views)

Re:

11-03-2002 11:22 PM in reply to: *Cross, Gary
Kathy,

Thank you for responding on this.

I was opening DA on the IAM not knowing the changes would not propagate
properly throughout the IPN & IDW.

OK. Now that that's clear , how is it possible to fix the IPN & IDW after
the damage has been done (changes already saved in IAM )?
When I look at the IDW & IPN in DA Manager, the names have changed there too
already. So what's to change? Any ideas?

Or should I just forget it & redo the & IPN & IDW?

Thanks!

Gary Cross
> > gcross@crossdesign.com


"KJohnson" wrote in message
news:732C66490AC519C47BF6E67A1C210FF3@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Are you opening DA on the IDW or the IAM? You need to update the IPN and
> IDW in DA too. This is one step if you click DA from the IDW but a little
> more complicated from the IAM. You need to select the files that you
> renamed in DA before saving changes. You can crtl or shift click more
than
> one at a time. Then make sure that you have whatever file types checked
in
> the bottom pane as you require and hit find. This will find all files
that
> reference the selected files at the top. This way you can change the name
> of a part and have the part IDW update to the new part name too. Good
luck.
>
> Kathy Johnson
> "Gary Cross" wrote in message
> news:2AEF62D06796E69E004CEDBD93ACAA46@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > What's going on here. Anyone else experiencing this or am I the only
one?
> >
> > So far it seems impossible to change the file name of parts in an
assembly
> > IAM using Design Assistant (outside of IV) without corrupting the
> associated
> > IPN & IDW files.
> >
> > If you change the name back to what it was originally to try to save the
> > day, you get a message in the IDW file saying the referenced IPN file
> cannot
> > be resolved. Please open & resolve it before trying to use it in the IDW
> > File.
> > Then, the IPN file cannot be opened at all due to the infamous "Invalid
> > reference to segmented object used" error.
> >
> > I hope I am doing something wrong. Otherwise, this is basically a
> nightmare.
> > We have to be able to change part & assembly file names down the road on
> > most projects with out having to do the IPN & IDW files over
> > everytime-that's nuts.
> >
> > Project options mode is Multi user=off
> > Design State of all files is set to WorkinProgress
> > These are fresh IV6 assemblies & parts used.
> >
> > Gary Cross
> > gcross@crossdesign.com
> >
> >
>
>
*KJohnson
Message 4 of 6 (106 Views)

Re:

11-03-2002 11:56 PM in reply to: *Cross, Gary
If you rename all the files and then try to open old rev's of the drawing
and reclaim it that way. But overall if it is not complicated redo the IPN
and IDW.

Kathy Johnson

"Gary Cross" wrote in message
news:91CE25F1321E9E8FAB5584741C5A2BB6@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Kathy,
>
> Thank you for responding on this.
>
> I was opening DA on the IAM not knowing the changes would not propagate
> properly throughout the IPN & IDW.
>
> OK. Now that that's clear , how is it possible to fix the IPN & IDW after
> the damage has been done (changes already saved in IAM )?
> When I look at the IDW & IPN in DA Manager, the names have changed there
too
> already. So what's to change? Any ideas?
>
> Or should I just forget it & redo the & IPN & IDW?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gary Cross
> > > gcross@crossdesign.com
>
>
> "KJohnson" wrote in message
> news:732C66490AC519C47BF6E67A1C210FF3@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Are you opening DA on the IDW or the IAM? You need to update the IPN
and
> > IDW in DA too. This is one step if you click DA from the IDW but a
little
> > more complicated from the IAM. You need to select the files that you
> > renamed in DA before saving changes. You can crtl or shift click more
> than
> > one at a time. Then make sure that you have whatever file types checked
> in
> > the bottom pane as you require and hit find. This will find all files
> that
> > reference the selected files at the top. This way you can change the
name
> > of a part and have the part IDW update to the new part name too. Good
> luck.
> >
> > Kathy Johnson
> > "Gary Cross" wrote in message
> > news:2AEF62D06796E69E004CEDBD93ACAA46@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > What's going on here. Anyone else experiencing this or am I the only
> one?
> > >
> > > So far it seems impossible to change the file name of parts in an
> assembly
> > > IAM using Design Assistant (outside of IV) without corrupting the
> > associated
> > > IPN & IDW files.
> > >
> > > If you change the name back to what it was originally to try to save
the
> > > day, you get a message in the IDW file saying the referenced IPN file
> > cannot
> > > be resolved. Please open & resolve it before trying to use it in the
IDW
> > > File.
> > > Then, the IPN file cannot be opened at all due to the infamous
"Invalid
> > > reference to segmented object used" error.
> > >
> > > I hope I am doing something wrong. Otherwise, this is basically a
> > nightmare.
> > > We have to be able to change part & assembly file names down the road
on
> > > most projects with out having to do the IPN & IDW files over
> > > everytime-that's nuts.
> > >
> > > Project options mode is Multi user=off
> > > Design State of all files is set to WorkinProgress
> > > These are fresh IV6 assemblies & parts used.
> > >
> > > Gary Cross
> > > gcross@crossdesign.com
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
*Cross, Gary
Message 5 of 6 (106 Views)

Re:

11-04-2002 04:43 AM in reply to: *Cross, Gary
Kathy,

Did you mean open DA on old rev's because opening the old rev's has the same
non-openable problem.

Gary Cross

"KJohnson" wrote in message
news:97E4232C67D87D2B62CF165353F4C849@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> If you rename all the files and then try to open old rev's of the drawing
> and reclaim it that way. But overall if it is not complicated redo the
IPN
> and IDW.
>
> Kathy Johnson
>
> "Gary Cross" wrote in message
> news:91CE25F1321E9E8FAB5584741C5A2BB6@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Kathy,
> >
*KJohnson
Message 6 of 6 (106 Views)

Re:

11-04-2002 04:48 AM in reply to: *Cross, Gary
If you catch it immediately, change the names back in explorer and then open
the last rev. This will only work if you haven't saved over the rev from
before the big name change in DA. Another way to save yourself before the
act is to zip the assembly up or back it up somewhere else so you can go
back to a clean copy if things go wrong.

Kathy Johnson
"Gary Cross" wrote in message
news:smileyvery-happy:3E6AD1300CB1E2D808D45371A3BA06B@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Kathy,
>
> Did you mean open DA on old rev's because opening the old rev's has the
same
> non-openable problem.
>
> Gary Cross
>
> "KJohnson" wrote in message
> news:97E4232C67D87D2B62CF165353F4C849@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > If you rename all the files and then try to open old rev's of the
drawing
> > and reclaim it that way. But overall if it is not complicated redo the
> IPN
> > and IDW.
> >
> > Kathy Johnson
> >
> > "Gary Cross" wrote in message
> > news:91CE25F1321E9E8FAB5584741C5A2BB6@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > Kathy,
> > >
>
>
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.