Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best workflow to create AutoCAD dwg from Inventor dwg?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
todd_cannon
894 Views, 6 Replies

Best workflow to create AutoCAD dwg from Inventor dwg?

We have customers who require AutoCAD dwg files when we finish developing them. We want to be able to model with Inventor. Then create an Inventor dwg, which allows us to control the drawing from the model for future developement. Finally, send our customer an AutoCAD file that may be edited to suit any changes they deem necessary.

We are on IV 2011 right now. I have tried the "save copy as" AutoCAD dwg options but, find it doesn't get the job done completely. For example, it seems that either the geometry and sheet formats go to either model space or paper space. Not the full size geometry in model space and sheet format in paperspace as I would expect to see in AutoCAD. Is there anyone who has found a workflow to accomplish this because as far as I can see, it takes way too much work. Maybe I'm missing an option or something as simple as that. Thanks.

Todd

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tsreagan
in reply to: todd_cannon

You should look into developing an iLogic rule to export your idw's as dwg's.

I wrote one for someone, all they have to do is open one idw from their drawing directory,

and it will export a dwg, then prompt if you want to export all remaining idw's in the directory.

you have greater control of the export in iLogic,  the time spent developing the rule will be saved with the automated nature of the result.

T.S.

Message 3 of 7
todd_cannon
in reply to: tsreagan

Interesting. I hadn't thought of using iLogic for that. Is there a benefit to using an idw vs dwg? The dwg format is convinient to us because it seems easier to use blocks from our legacy AutoCAD drawings to create the Inventor sheet formats and tables and such. Thanks for your input.

Todd

Message 4 of 7
tsreagan

I cannot comment on idw vs dwg,  I have only worked with idw's and converted them from there if needed.

I assume the same process would be employed:

Once you develop the rule, you would add it to your dwg template, then you can run it from any drawing.

I can attach the rule I spoke of earlier, edit it as you wish, and if you change the idw to dwg,  it may operate in the same manner.  You also have to create a "dwg export.ini" that will control the specifics of the export,  so making changes is easy, and does not require editing the rule later, or updating the drawing template.

There are some samples in the iLogic help file that cover the export.ini in detail.

Also if you change the rule to from ipt to dwg,  make sure you save the new files in a different directory,  or it may get stuck in a loop running over the drawings you just generated,  I have not tested this,  just keep it in mind.

T.S.

Message 5 of 7
todd_cannon
in reply to: tsreagan

Thanks for the reply. I will have a look at your iLogic rule. I will also look at the iLogic help to find out more about the export.ini file. I'll be sure to update this thread when I get some results. I think this would benefit more than just myself. Thanks again.

Todd

Message 6 of 7
aargear

We use simple way. We send Inventor DWG. Customers can open Inventor DWG in ACAD (ACAD LT also) and use _EXPORTLAYOUT for changes if necessary.

(Not a good for all project).

Message 7 of 7
todd_cannon
in reply to: aargear

Thanks. I need to check that out as well.

Todd

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report