Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to model a standard gauge track?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
sanabriaerik
1428 Views, 2 Replies

Best way to model a standard gauge track?

Hello,

Is there an easier way to model train tracks from standards with somthing like a generator instead of having to draw the cutouts in a sketch? With european standards or american standards? 

rail.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
LT.Rusty
in reply to: sanabriaerik

Sure is.

Model one rail, and set up all the parameters that you need to modify to change it into a different standard.  Create an iPart that will incorporate your various standards, and then publish it to a custom content center library.  Set it up with appropriate key values, and you'll be able to insert whatever standard rail you want, at whatever length you need it to be.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
swalton
in reply to: LT.Rusty

I did not even bother with the iparts and Content Center.

I use AREMA rails.  LB foster has very nice pfs showing the exact rail profile. 

I made a 1' long segment of each weight I needed.  Each time a need a new length, I save a copy of the proper 1' long start part and edit the length of the extrusion.  Easy.  I don't have to remember how to migrate the CC parts when I move between releases and I don't have to fight Vault and iparts.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report