Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to create a workplane at a angle on tube surface?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
oransen
3537 Views, 9 Replies

Best way to create a workplane at a angle on tube surface?

Help a poor programmer again!

What is the best way to create a workplane at a given angle on the surface of the tube. Imagine the workplane long and thin running along the surface of the tube. The angle will be a parameter (from a sketch or user).

I'd like the workplane to always be on the surface of the tube, even when the diameter of the tube (from a dimension in a sketch) changes.

I'm thinking that a (angled) line in the same sketch as the two circles (which define the tube diameter and thickness) would be a good starting point, but I'm open to better suggestions from more experienced Inventor users...

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: oransen

Attach example file here.

A sketch line sounds like the solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
mpatchus

Make the diameter of the tube a parameter also and use that for the offset of the plane.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 4 of 10
mikejones

I would use the sketch method aswell, drawings a construction line from he centre of the circle to the circumference of the circle. Then create a plane that is perpenicular to the construction line (select line) and placed at the end of the line (select end of line).

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 5 of 10
oransen
in reply to: JDMather

JDMather, thanks for the reply.I can't see an attachment though...

Message 6 of 10
oransen
in reply to: mikejones

Yes, I've done something similar. I made a sketchpoint be an intersection between the line and the circle, then used workplane tangent to surface through point.

I'm slowly learning...

Message 7 of 10
oransen
in reply to: mpatchus

"Make the diameter of the tube a parameter also and use that for the offset of the plane."

Is this more or less preferable to having a point at the intersection of a the line and circle? That way the point position is driven by the two entities directly (circle diameter and line angle) rather than an offset.

I'm a beginner, so all opinions welcome!

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

@oransen wrote:

JDMather, thanks for the reply.I can't see an attachment though...

My request was for YOU to attach a file here that exhibits the issue you want to solve.

When you respond (on web) you should see Attachments link below the text box.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 10
oransen

Sorry I misunderstood, just as I misunderstood m own question! Solved now!
Message 10 of 10
oransen

Yes, I misunderstood. All is clear now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report