Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practices For IDW templates

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
swalton
1031 Views, 11 Replies

Best Practices For IDW templates

We are about to migrate from IV 2011 to IV 2012 so it is time for the annual template update.  We also use and store our templates and style library in Vault.

Currently we have two idw templates, one for b-sized paper and one for d-sized.  We are finding that this does not give enough flexibility when detailing components from 60' weldments down to 1/2" dia machined shafts. 

Are we better off to create/ manage a new idw template for each of our large and small weldments, assembly prints, flame cut components, and machined parts.  Or should we use a single template idw file and add Sheet Formats, Borders, Title Blocks, Sketched Symbols, Dimension Styles as required to better standardize the final idws?

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: swalton

Why can't you just have 1 template.. You can pick the sheet size when you start the idw (right click on sheet:1 and hit edit sheet). Yes the titleblock will "look smaller" but I always think that the text should be the same "readable" size no matter what the sheet size is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 12
swalton

I plan to move to one template and adjust sheet size as required. 

My main question is what works better:  One templete with resources for all the classes of components that we detail, or seperate templates for each class. 

I know that it is dependent on our workflow, but I was hoping to get a feal how others are dealing with this issue.

Steve Walton
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 12
ToddHarris7556

I'll second McGyvr's vote. A single template file. We use different titleblocks for each size to optimize layouts of rev lines, etc.... but it's all in a single template file.

Todd
Product Design Collection (Inventor Pro, 3DSMax, HSMWorks)
Fusion 360 / Fusion Team
Message 5 of 12
mcgyvr

@swalton wrote:

I plan to move to one template and adjust sheet size as required. 

My main question is what works better:  One templete with resources for all the classes of components that we detail, or seperate templates for each class. 

I know that it is dependent on our workflow, but I was hoping to get a feal how others are dealing with this issue.

Like you said its up to you.. Currently I have a template for assemblys and one for regular parts and one for sheet metal parts..Why because I have certain notes/tables,etc.. preplaced into those templates.. Why?? just because.. I've had these templates for years and thats just how I did it.. I could proably go to all one template and have sketched symbols/tables that I could just drop in as needed.. It really comes down to exactly what you need on each type of drawing and what can/cannot be accomplished by Inventor.

I'd say whip up a document defining all you need and then see if you can cram it into one template..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 6 of 12
coreyparks
in reply to: ToddHarris7556

Keep in mind that if you have a bunch of sketched symbols and title blocks that this information will be saved into each file.  This can make the base template rather large and also all drawings based from it.  I really wish all of that data could be stored in the styles library.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 7 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: coreyparks

@coreyparks wrote:

Keep in mind that if you have a bunch of sketched symbols and title blocks that this information will be saved into each file.  This can make the base template rather large and also all drawings based from it.  I really wish all of that data could be stored in the styles library.

And excellent reason to not have a single template.. Now I'm glad I didn't go with 1 common template for all parts. The ability to store sketched symbols externally would be a excellent enhancement request..

Message 8 of 12
swalton
in reply to: mcgyvr

If all the drawing resources were stored in the style libary, I could quit wasting time with the drawing resource transfer wizard when I need to update a copied idw with the new resources.

Steve Walton

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 9 of 12
SBix26

Yes!

swalton wrote:

If all the drawing resources were stored in the style libary, I could quit wasting time with the drawing resource transfer wizard when I need to update a copied idw with the new resources.

Message 10 of 12
karthur1

We have one idw template with one titleblock.  When the scale is too small, we change to a "d-size" paper.  We try to stay with "B-szie" when possible.  We detail parts from 1/2 x 1/2 keys and the way up to assemblies that are 300ft long.  Haven't ran into a problem with it yet.

As far as the symbols, we keep the ones that we use the most in our main template.  We also have a symbols template that we use to store the ones that we use less frequently.  When I need one of those, it just a matter of copy paste from the symbols.idw.

We also use the Auto drawing update resource add-in to update older templates to our current standard. This is a great tool to get the idws that were created with an older template up to date with your new template.

Message 11 of 12
swalton
in reply to: karthur1

Where did you get the Auto Drawing Update add-in?

Steve Walton

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 12 of 12
karthur1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report