Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bend in assembly

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
PolemEngineering
965 Views, 18 Replies

Bend in assembly

I have an assembly consisting of 2 parts. In real life, after welding thes 2 together, the assembly is forced into a bend.

- square plate 200x200x3 mm with slotted hole in the center

- at right angles on this a flatbar sticked through the slotted hole

- welded together with 2 fillet welds

- then forced into a bown-shape (4 corners of the square plate forced slightly)

I can't / won't change my production process. How can I create this correctly in Inventor.

We make use of a mono-drawings (not sure this is correct English, what I mean is: there is only one model in each drawing).

I'm thinking about creating 2 square plates instead of 2. 1 square plates without bent and 1 as derived part with bend. In the assembly I create 2 LOD representations. Is this the correct way?

Thanks in advance,

René

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
jletcher
in reply to: PolemEngineering

You may want to try ipart and iassembly..

Not sure this is exactly what you ask but it shows what you can do..

Message 3 of 19
jletcher
in reply to: jletcher

P.S.  in the iassembly  pick an option in the assembly table..

Message 4 of 19
ampster401

James,

We're missing Part4-02.ipt

Steve

Message 5 of 19

Please consider jletcher's example as well - I don't have enough background with iParts or iAssemblies so they may be just what you need.

You might be able to do something like this,

part1 is the 200x200x3 plate

part2 is the flatbar

assembly1 is a weldment of those two items

final part is derived from the weldment and then bent.

I wasn't sure of your design either but this should give you a good idea of a possible workflow.

Inventor 2014 was used to create these parts.

Message 6 of 19
ampster401
in reply to: ampster401

final part

Message 7 of 19
jletcher

Part4-02 is part of the ipart of part4

ipart table in part4 should have Part4-01 and Part4-02 in the ipart.

Message 8 of 19
jletcher

I downloaded to test all works fine for me..

Message 9 of 19
ampster401

not sure what I could possibly be doing wrong.

When I open Assembly1.iam, I am presented with this Resolve Link window.  Do iParts require someone who is receiving them to take an additional step of saving out what ever file they are missing?

missing Part4-02 error.png

I have tried opening Part4.ipt and switching between both Tables, saving but still my system is unable to locate Part4-02.ipt.

Sure, I could open up Part4.ipt, switch it over to the -02 table then save it out as Part4-02.ipt but that doesn't seem like an ideal workflow for sharing files.

I'll admit , I'm probably missing some step here.

Message 10 of 19
PolemEngineering

Thanks for the response.

I know how iParts and iAssemblies work, but the provided parts from jletcher are broken this way or another.

With regard to form, Ampster came closest. Is this also possible with a flatbar 30x5 😉

I'm not sure this solution is compatible with our future data integration with ERP, because the derived has no Bill of Materials.

Message 11 of 19

any size flatbar would work.  With just a little amount of work the slot data could be tied to the flatbar data but that's not what you are looking for.

I don't know how quick I might be able to come up with something that would work concerning BOM data, but I'll explore that.

Message 12 of 19

I think this will work:

2 LOD's. One with a flat plate, the other with bend. One drawing for welding, one for bending. Both with a "ballooned items only" filter on partslist

Message 13 of 19
mrattray
in reply to: PolemEngineering

You're better off using view reps with that workflow than LOD's.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 14 of 19
PolemEngineering
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks...

This works better indeed. Changed "Ballooned Items Only" to "Assembly View Representation".

Message 15 of 19
jletcher

That is strange  I downloaded from here put in new folder and works very strange.

What inventor are you on I wonder if that is the issue I am on 2012 when I made those.

Message 16 of 19
jletcher

Maybe because it made them I did not notice but here are the parts it made for the assembly.

I cause it will only link back to the parts it made for that assembly and not remake them for you.

Make a subfolder call part4 and place these two in it then try..

Message 17 of 19
ampster401

hehe, I think I figured it out.

Since I was not the person who inserted Part4.ipt into an assy, my Inv 2014 did not create a subfolder named Part4 and created Part4-02.ipt there.  Reference that 1st screenshot I provided where it's looking in a subfolder named Part4 for the -02 file.

Since you were the person who did so, I think it might have been best to pack-n-go the final assy file in order for the complete file package to be shared with others.

Pack-n-go would have grabbed Part4-02.ipt and included it in the group.

Does that make sense?

I tested this idea by starting up a new assembly and then inserted your Part4.ipt file.  The Place Standard iPart window appears and if I select the 02 version, then place the file and save it, Part4-02.ipt appears in a subfolder on my system named Part4.

I bet you just grabbed the three files in the beginning.

Message 18 of 19
jletcher

Yep I figured it out too look aboe your post Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 19
ampster401

yeap, referencing your 2nd to last post, that would be the manual way someone would have to solve the problem if you routinely send iParts like that to people.

iParts will create what ever version is needed when they are first inserted into an assy and then store them in a subfolder.

When it comes time to share those files with people, pack-n-go the assy file so it finds the iParts that were created in the begining.

Edit, I should add that I've been multi-tasking beyond what I can normally do - handling various support issues here at work while trying to stay active with this thread...I did not have a chance to see the reply you are referring to above this post before I submitted my reply.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report