Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bearing Load Definition

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
6086 Views, 4 Replies

Bearing Load Definition

Hello experts!

I have some questions regarding the bearing load in the FEA-module of Inventor.

I understand that this force has to be applied on a certain cylindrical face. But what I´d like to know is

1) Is the force magnitude distributed all over the selected face equally? Like  "pressure = Force / Area" ? Or is there a special algorithm applied which distributes the force e.g. like in a hydrodynamic bearing, which has a pressure profile with a max pressure in the middle of the area and lower pressure around (--> "pressure mountain")?

2) In the force definition window x/y/z-values can be applied. Which direction has the resulting pressure on the body (see attached pic)? The same as the Force?

Thanks a lot in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
garytang
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, CSTEI:

Regarding Q1: It is not distributed equally but, as you also described, "it has a pressure profile with a max pressure in the middle of the area and lower pressure around (--> "pressure mountain")". Bearing load on cylindrical face has specific definition, which can be found at this link: http://www.kxcad.net/ansys/ANSYS/workbench/ds_bolt_load.html.

Regarding Q2: No, not as ones shown in your attached image. If a bearing load is defined by X/Y/Z components instead of a vector, you can think of a vector that has the given X/Y/Z components, application of the vector upon a cylindrical face has distribution as described above in Q1.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Gary

Autodesk Inc.

Message 3 of 5
AnchorChain
in reply to: garytang

When applying bearing loads to surfaces how should the value be entered?

Option A - If I have a force of 100,000 lbs in the x-direction, do I select the bearing surface and enter 100,000 as my value in the x component?

Option B - Or should I find the total area of the surface, divide by 2 (for 0-180 degrees), then take force over this area for a calculated bearing load, and apply this as my value in the dialog box for bearing load?

I have done it both ways and entering 100,000 lbs gives stresses upward of 600 ksi telling me this is wrong.  Doing it using option B I get realistic answers but I am looking for someone who knows the software and what it is looking for to tell me how I should do this.

Thanks,

Mechanical Engineer
Inventor 2014 Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro
Message 4 of 5
AnchorChain
in reply to: AnchorChain

TTT

Thanks,

Mechanical Engineer
Inventor 2014 Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: AnchorChain

AnchorChain,

Did you ever figure out the answer to your second post?

J

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report