Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch Updating Drawing Styles

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
BrianBolam4894
2966 Views, 6 Replies

Batch Updating Drawing Styles

I'm using Inventor 2011 with the style library.  I have made some changes to my styles template and want to batch update a group of drawings to the new style.  Is there a way to do this without opening each drawing and doing the update? 

Brian

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
BMiller63
in reply to: BrianBolam4894

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to do this other than opening the drawing and clicking Update Styles.

You might post in the Inventor Customization forum, it should be really easy to do with VB, I think.

Message 3 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: BrianBolam4894

There is not a way to do it without opeing each drawing.  But, you can set it up in Autodesk Task Scheduler to do this for you (and much quicker than you could do it yourself). 

There is an add-in at http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8018 that will update your drawing styles automatically when the drawing is opened.

Add all the files that you want updated to a task after you have the ADrawingResources setup.  Setup the AdrawingResources to "Auto" update the drawing.

Message 4 of 7
wseaston
in reply to: karthur1

"But, you can set it up in Autodesk Task Scheduler to do this for you"

In task scheduler I presume I would have to set up an "update design" task. Is that correct?

Would I still have to physically open each file?

I am hoping I would be able to simply create a "check in" task after the "update design" which would then check the files back in to vault with the style updates applied.

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: wseaston

I guess you could use the update design task, but I think I would want to use the "Migrate Files" task since it will work from within vault.  The Migrate Files task will check out the files, update them, then check them back in. With the Update Design task, you will either have to manually check them in/out or create a task to do it.

In the task scheduler, click the option button at the bottom.  Here is how I have mine setup for this task.

2011-09-20_0817.png

Before you run the task, you will have to install the add-in that I mentioned above and get it setup so that when the idw is opened, it is automatically updated.  You can update the title block, borders or styles. When I am wanting to update the files, here is how I set it up.

2011-09-20_0814.png

Using this method, you can update one or a thousand files.  But if you have only a handful to do, it might be quicker to open them in Inventor with the "Auto Update" options set in the  Auto Drawing.Res.  If you are updating a bunch of files, I would test a few files first by physically opening them, just to make sure the Auto Drawing.Res is doing what you expect.

Message 6 of 7
wseaston
in reply to: karthur1

Thanks for your help karthur1.

I had already used the "update task" before I read your message about the migrate option.

The update task worked well, I then created a check in task which also worked well except it did not update the existing dwf files in our shared network folder.... It didn't even create dwf's for the ones that were not already published??

The next thing I tried was using your "migrate task" for one ipt & idw which didn't have a dwf in the shared folder. The migrate task worked well (ie. Check out, update style, check in) but this task also did not create a dwf.....

This is proving to be quite a challenge and it is something I have to get done for 400 + idw's as our production department refers only to the dwf shared folder as we don't have the free vault which comes with Inventor therefore this is our only choice until we upgrade Vault.

Any ideas?? Anyone??

Message 7 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: wseaston

Normally (as you probably know), the dwf files are published when you check in the files to vault.  For some reason, even with the visualation option turned on, the task scheduler does not do that when it checks the files back in using the "Migrate Files" task.

I first thought that you could just create a "Publish FWF File".  But, since this task is not "Vault Aware", so you will have to manually add them to vault.  Not sure if this would be a problem for you or not. 

Another way might be to use iLogic to publish. Not sure about the code to do that, but I think it is probably possible.  With that code, you might be able to choose to just publish the idws, ipt or iams seperately.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report