Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background Mask for text

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
BrettCaldeira
3056 Views, 13 Replies

Background Mask for text

Hi All

Hope all is well.

I have been searching the net to see if Autodesk has yet enabled a background mask on text in Inventor drawings, and cannot find any sloutions? I am still running on 2012 - 2013 will only be rolled out when IT feels that it should be, so not sure if it has been added to 2013. Please let me know if this feature exists or not. We currently have to continously create hatched sketched symbols of different sizes for leader text, balloons, dimensions, etc... don't always have time to waste on this.

Regards,

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
RStancescu
in reply to: BrettCaldeira

It's almost the end of 2017 and still we don't have a Dimension Background mask....

radu

Message 3 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: RStancescu

Hi Radu,

If I understood your request correctly, Background Text Mask is called "Cross Hatch Clipping" in Inventor. The option is available in Tools -> Document Settings -> Drawing -> check "Cross Hatch Clipping." Is this what you are looking for? It has been available for several years.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@RStancescu

Is what Johnson just stated what you are looking for?

Here is an example of what that option does..

CrossHatch.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 14
RStancescu

Hi Johnson

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking for a dimension background so when I place the dimension over the geometry lines will keep the dimension visible so I don't need to find a proper place for dimension. 

Please see attached.

radu

Message 6 of 14
RStancescu
in reply to: mcgyvr

I attached a picture above, I need the dimension to remain visible over the lines.

thank you

radu

Message 7 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: RStancescu

@RStancescu wrote:

I attached a picture above, I need the dimension to remain visible over the lines.

thank you

radu

@RStancescu Ok I see what you are asking for..

Thats just not possible.. I always thought that was considered poor dimension practice anyways to have dimensions be over/in the geometry of a part and you should instead use something like this..(which I'm sure you know how to do that..just putting it out there)

background mask is possible in autocad just not Inventor... Doesn't seem to be asked for that often either hence why its still not part of Inventor..

Demand is king there.. Little/No demand = dead in the water..

offsetdim.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 8 of 14
RStancescu

We use a lot Copy Design and many times drawings are copied/updated with different similar parents. Would be nice that users won't need to click on each dimension and re-position if background mask would hit and make dimensions visible. 

For us, sometimes, time is more important than accuracy...

Another detail, majority of people work 80% in autocad and 20% in Inventor... it's not their fault that Autocad has the feature and 3D doesnt... 🙂

Thank you for your response

radu

Message 9 of 14
kavace

I need this feature for a label that is going over the geometry in a concept drawing. It breaks the hatches but not the geometry lines, which is (very) annoying.

Where can I express my interest in such a Feature constructively?

Message 10 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: kavace

Hi! You could post the idea to Inventor Ideas forum.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 14
mcgyvr

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi! You could post the idea to Inventor Ideas forum.

Many thanks!

Already done..

They just need to "vote" for them..

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/dimension-background-mask/idi-p/6813011

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/drawing-dimensions/idi-p/5881513

archived one not accessible to voting..

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/background-mask/idi-p/6734756

Message 12 of 14
clive.w66LR9

@johnsonshiue no that doesn't help, we want a MASK!!!!

your post was from 2017 and Autodesk still hasn't fixed it. 

Message 13 of 14
CGBenner
in reply to: clive.w66LR9

@clive.w66LR9 

Hello and welcome.  Have you cast your vote on any of the Ideas for this as posted above?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 14 of 14
Mark_PerryK8N3W
in reply to: kavace

Hey All,

This is a kludge, but seems to work fairly consistently. When in the text editor window, there is a fill icon in the upper right corner. Click on it, then pick the 'white' swatch. Background in editor will change colors, enter your text and hit 'OK'. (See attached)
NOTE: I add spaces above and below, plus a couple on each end to make the "mask" offset bigger.
NOTE2: When you go to print, UN check 'Print all colors as black'. Otherwise, you just get a big black rectangle where your text should be.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report