Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
698 Views, 9 Replies

BOM

Hello

im importing some tanks from autocad, and i have parts that are built in inventor that come standard with the tanks, but when i put it all together in an assembly all the parts show up as a single part. so my question is, is there a way to make several parts show up as one part on the BOM?....

-Mike

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you make it a sub-assembly?

Thanks,

Randy Mabery

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2009 SP2  (Soon to be 2011)

Autodesk Productstream 2009  (Soon to be Vault Pro 2011)

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional

Intel i5 3.2GHz

7GB Ram

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800

Windows 7

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Yes i can make it a sub assembly.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

If you want those parts to show up as one line in the parts list, making them a sub-assembly in your assembly will do this.

Unless I have missed the point.  

Thanks,

Randy Mabery

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2009 SP2  (Soon to be 2011)

Autodesk Productstream 2009  (Soon to be Vault Pro 2011)

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional

Intel i5 3.2GHz

7GB Ram

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800

Windows 7

Message 5 of 10
cbenner
Message 6 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: cbenner

"demote" to a subassembly

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

in this  attachment shows what i need to be one part

Message 8 of 10
pauldoubet

One option is to change the BOM setting of the assy to 'Inseparable'. This is what I use for some items like a hydraulic cylinder that might be manufactured in house but does not need to be listed as individual parts on the Parts List.

Hope this helps, Paul

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: pauldoubet

@pauldoubet wrote:

One option is to change the BOM setting of the assy to 'Inseparable'. This is what I use for some items like a hydraulic cylinder that might be manufactured in house but does not need to be listed as individual parts on the Parts List.

Hope this helps, Paul

Minor point, but I think the situation you describe might be better handled by setting the assembly and the components to Purchased.

If the assembly is Inseperable and the components within are set a purchase, the components will "show though" to the top level BOM. Where as if they are all set to purchase this won't happen.

* I'm going from memory on all of this so this should be verified by anyone reading this in the future.

Message 10 of 10
pauldoubet

You are correct that the 'Purchased' setting will produce the same result. However the hydraulic cylinder I described was based on an actual customer I have done work for in the past. They manufacture their own hydraulic cylinders but they didn't build them for each job so the 'Inseparable' setting was used in that case. I am not sure which is the best option and most of the time it is a shot in the dark on the forum to know what will be the best choice.

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report