Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM query (same BOM used twice in drawing)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Cambo_Slambo
427 Views, 3 Replies

BOM query (same BOM used twice in drawing)

Hi,

Quick question here. Is it possible to have a BOM inserted into a drawing more than once, but have the BOMs show different information.

I have a GA of an assembly with sub-assemblies listed within it. Im happy for the BOM to just show the sub-assemblies i.e. not individual parts. However my work are looking for a FULL BOM list down to singlar nuts etc. Now I dont want or need this shown in the GA so I was wondering if it would be possible to have another instance of the BOM placed off-drawing but showing the FULL BOM.

I have tried to do this but it seems the two BOMs are linked to each other as when I make the BOM show all parts it does it in both BOMS. I can make it show all then export to Excel but I would rather have it shown off the drawing so it updates if changed are made.

I look forward to your imput.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CCarreiras
in reply to: Cambo_Slambo

Hi!

It's impossible to have the two kind of Part List associative in the same drawing file.

You can do what you said:

Create 2 drawings (A and B) and create the 2 different BOM's in each one, and import the PList to excel from Drawing B and paste it in Drawing A.

In drawing A, you will have the 2 kind of Part List, but the one imported from excel is not associative, so, if you change something in the assembly, this part list will not update accordingly.

Regards.

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
cbenner
in reply to: CCarreiras

Should be mentioned that a BOM referes to the Assembly file, while a Parts List referes to the drawing file.... semantics I know, but how you manage them is different so IMHO calling it the right thing is important.

I think that the concept of being able to show the Parts List 2 different ways on one sheet might be a good one for the Idea Station.  I can see where there might be a use for that, and as long as both remain associative what harm could it cause?  Just my two or three cents worth.

Message 4 of 4
Cambo_Slambo
in reply to: Cambo_Slambo

Thanks for the replies.

I'll just have to expand the PartsList and export it to Excel then roll the PartsList back up.

I realised a should have been talking about PartsLists not BOMs haha.

I'll look to suggest his in the Idea Station.

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report