Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM and Parts List Frame Generator Length Tip

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
FireBallFab
1567 Views, 5 Replies

BOM and Parts List Frame Generator Length Tip

Hi all,

I'm sure this isn't new, but it was new to me so I thought I'd share!

I was having a difficult time getting my parts list to be reasonable. After a few iterations, I settled on this:

In the Content Center Editor, I right-click on the Shape name and open the Family Table (first pic). Then I rename my part number with an equals sign and <G_L>. 

Like this (where 075000 is my part number):

=075000 x <G_L>

When this gets populated in the BOM, it keeps the Part Number and adds the " x " and then the G_L number. 

Content Center Editor.png

This allows grouping of the part numbers in the BOM a snap! Just make sure to tick the box for the Part Number Row Merge!

Part Number Row Merge.png

And the parts list:

Part Number.png

I hope this helps someone out. Like I said before, I'm sure this is not new, and I'm sure there are more elegant ways to do this, but it works for me!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
FireBallFab
in reply to: FireBallFab

Marking as solved...

Message 3 of 6
joaopirotta
in reply to: FireBallFab

Hi everyone,

Is it possible formatting a part number column to suppression 2 decimal place after the period?

Exemple:

From 063000 x 49.000 in to 063000 x 49 in

Message 4 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: joaopirotta

Hi! This is actually a bit tricky to do. If you want to do that, you would need to alter the format of the length parameter, which is used in an expression to create the Part Number. If I recall correctly, the length parameter precision display of the Frame members is dictated by the assembly hosting the frame.

This is easier to do if you start from scratch. It is a bit tricky if you already have files on disk. Please feel free to share an example (iam and ipt files) so forum experts can help take a look.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6
joaopirotta
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi! follow link to download the files: https://a360.co/2MP8k5I

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: joaopirotta

Hi! Many thanks for sharing the files! Like I mentioned, this is tricky to do. If you want to do it automatically, you will need to change the expression in the CC library. And, also change the display precision in the templates and files.

The quickest way is the low tech way. Just manually change it in the BOM Part Number column or individually in the part file.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report