Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Structure Issue, unable change value

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
spascual
745 Views, 5 Replies

BOM Structure Issue, unable change value

Hi sirs,

I have some parts in reference mode as bom structure value.

If I try to change to normal value, when change row, it returs itself as reference.

What can I do??

Inventor 2010 SP3 x64

regards

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tjvz85
in reply to: spascual

Almost a decade later and the problem persists. Hopefully it helps someone in the present.

BOM Structures for some sub assemblies were randomly (or not) changed to Reference and I could not get it to change back to Normal. Tried it in the Top assembly's BOM, tried it in the sub assembly's Document settings, nothing worked. When clicking away it changed back to Reference.

Solution: In the Top assembly, right click the component in the Model Browser, go to iProperties/Occurrence and adjust BOM Structure to Default. This will be Normal for normal components and Purchased for Content Center etc.

Annotation 2020-03-04 130626.png

Regards Theo

Message 3 of 6
blandb
in reply to: spascual

In the model browser, just right click on the component > BOM Structure and set to default (normal)

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 6
tjvz85
in reply to: blandb

Missed that in the context menu, thanks

Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: tjvz85

Hi! If I understood your issue correctly, I think there was a bit confusion here. The BOM property of a given component can be controlled in two ways. 1) Within the component document (iam or ipt), you can go to Tools -> Doc settings -> BOM. There you can change the default BOM Structure type. This setting persists when you place the component in an assembly. Once it is placed in an assembly, the occurrence of the component can have a different BOM Structure type.

2) Within the assembly where the component exists, the BOM Structure type can be changed to Default or Reference. For example, you have Part1:1 and Part1:2 in an assembly. Part1:1 can be Default Normal, while Part1:2 can be Reference. This means Part1:2 is not counted on the BOM table.

I think what you are trying to do is to alter the occurrence BOM Structure type across level. This cannot be done. You need to open the immediate assembly where the occurrence exist (not the top-level assembly). Then change the BOM Structure type for the occurrence there.

Another possibility is that the given component is a library component which is readonly and it cannot be edited.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
tjvz85
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

Thanks for your feedback. From what I found while looking for a solution, I gathered this much, as you explained.

I literally missed the BOM Structure option in the context menu when right clicking on the component in the model browser. My eyes went straight down to Bill of Materials.

The problem came when I opened my top assembly drawing and some components were showing as Reference, and then I couldn't change them back to Normal in the top level. This might have been set by a form I am using to suppress components, for different configurations of the top assembly. But this is speculation because there is nowhere where the code is supposed to set BOM Structures.

So the right click in browser and change BOM Structure is also accessible by right click/occurence/BOM Structure. Same function.

Thanks again for the feedback and clarity. I understand that components can be permanently set as Reference, or by occurence in various assemblies.

Regards

Theo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report