Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM (Inventor 2012)

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
moretti999
818 Views, 9 Replies

BOM (Inventor 2012)

Is it possible to open the part from the BOM?

If I remember correctly, at one point there was an option. Or maybe I mistake it with SW?

AM
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jtylerbc
in reply to: moretti999

Yes and no.  You can do it from BOM in the assembly (by right clicking on the part in the list).  You can't do it in the BOM from a drawing (option shows up in the right click menu, but is grayed out).

At least that is the case as of v2010.

Message 3 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: jtylerbc

The answer is yes from the BOM. And technically its a "parts list" on a drawing not a BOM. There is a slight difference.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 10
moretti999

This blows. I see the same with 2012.

Autodesk, any comments on this?

Oftentimes we need to go back to the model and fish out the part to open it.

If the BOM has the link to the part, why not make it accessible from within the idw?

AM
Message 5 of 10
jtylerbc
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

The answer is yes from the BOM. And technically its a "parts list" on a drawing not a BOM. There is a slight difference.

I understand the difference - it was just unclear wording on my part.  I was referring to when you right click on the parts list to access the BOM from the drawing.  The "Open" option is grayed out when the BOM is accessed in this way.

Message 6 of 10
moretti999

So, at a restaurant, do you order from Menu or Bill of Fare? 🙂

Parts list and BOM are interchangeable terms, unless people split hair over minute details (should not be done here, in the USofA).

Thanks for the input nevertheless.

AM
Message 7 of 10
mcgyvr

You can open a part from the model browser in the IDW if thats better..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 10
jtylerbc

Technically he's right - in Inventor, there is a difference.

Confuses the heck out of people I try to teach Inventor to that think of them as being the same thing.  They have an assembly open, I'll tell them they need to do a particular task in the BOM - they go start opening the drawing if I'm not fast enough to tell them not to. 

Message 9 of 10
moretti999

True. However, what's up with this greyed out "Open" in the Parts List - BOM-Part RMB Menu?

Just guessing outloud...

AM
Message 10 of 10
sreedhar.gowda

Hi

I am getting this Error when i create Ipart in Assembly

Unsupported BOM settings

"The Bill of Materials contains Views or properties not supported by Configurations. Only Structured First-Level BOM views are supported. The BOM will be Changed during Conversion"

Any help or Suggestion will be Appreciated

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report