Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically Calculating Length

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mcrump28210
1925 Views, 4 Replies

Automatically Calculating Length

We design with a lot of tubing and pipe.  Is there a way to add a custom property to the BOM that will automatically show the extruded length of, say, a length of pipe or tube?  Also, is there a way to automatically calculate the total length of all tubing of a given size?  Thanks!

Michael Crump
AutoCAD 2013
Inventor 2013
Windows Pro 7 x64
Asus Sabertooth X58
Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.2 GHz
24 GB ram
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: mcrump28210

Are you using the Tube & Pipe module?  Pipes placed with tube & pipe have a parameter for length already in them "PL".  Add that as a property to your parts list and the length will show up.  Still noodling how to get the total....

After looking some more, if you group all pipes of a certain spec and size by Part Number, the "QTY" column in your BOM will total the length for you.  So: "PL" gives you individual length, "QTY" the total length.  What I haven't figured out yet is how to show them both in the Parts List at the same time.

Anyone?

Message 3 of 5
cstringer80
in reply to: mcrump28210

is there are way to do this if you don't use tube and pipe?

I've got lots of pipe placed via CC then edited the extrusion length.  D2.  I know I can rename D2 and select it as export to get that value in the BOM, but I'd have to do that for A LOT of pices.  Any faster way?

Message 4 of 5
jtylerbc
in reply to: cstringer80

You could create a custom family in the Content Center, so that the modifications are already there when you place the part.

Doesn't really help you with the existing ones, but would solve the issue on future models.

Message 5 of 5
blair
in reply to: jtylerbc

This sort of data is available using CC items. This also looks alot like a post from another user, even down to the D2 parameter. The ITEM QTY, UNIT QTY and QTY are all pulled in automatically from CC items. You just need select the columns from the Column Chooser.

Capture1.JPG

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report