Inventor General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 1 of 18 (550 Views)

Autodesk Products going totally to Online useage???

550 Views, 17 Replies
04-11-2012 04:07 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on this link and if they think this is at all scary?

http://www.3dcadtips.com/will-autodesk-products-all-be-used-online/

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2013
(Colossians 3:23-25)

*Expert Elite*
Mark_Flayler
Message 2 of 18 (538 Views)

Re: Autodesk Products going totally to Online useage???

04-11-2012 04:25 PM in reply to: Cadmanto

The biggest roadblock to this sort of move is company IT as well as existing infrastructure in the US.  Bandwidth is not the same in every area, some places still only have dial up.  There will be desktop variations as long as they are needed, but overall the strategy makes very good sense as long as data can be stored locally, it removes hardware roadblocks and updating problems with service packs and hotfixes.  There are actually more pros than cons with this sort of movement, but yes it is a disruptor.

Mark Flayler Application Engineer - Manufacturing Solutions Division
IMAGINiT's Manufacturing Solutions Blog:
http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/
*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 3 of 18 (532 Views)

Re: Autodesk Products going totally to Online usage???

04-11-2012 04:49 PM in reply to: Mark_Flayler

Mark,

You bring up some very good points.  I do like the thought of not having to keep up with

hotfixes or SP's.  Like you said this would cause issues with some company's that still have dial up

and as long as you still have the option to store locally.

But I am concerned about the "Big Brother" is watching you theory or the corporate control of large company's

dictating the ways us consumers want to or have to use said products.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Active Contributor
rhinterhoeller
Message 4 of 18 (510 Views)

04-11-2012 06:07 PM in reply to: Cadmanto

That decision would be the end of my subscription.

IV 2013 Product Design Suite 64 Bit
Win 7 64 bit
*Expert Elite*
Mark_Flayler
Message 5 of 18 (507 Views)

04-11-2012 06:15 PM in reply to: Cadmanto

There also has to be a way to incorporate third party addins and custom programming that companies do.  The Inventor Exchange App store is a start in that direciton.  But image this...pay for only one piece of software when you need to use it.  Lets say I only Showcase for a month.  Lower my costs for everything else and let me use Showcase when I want to pay a little more for it.  Oh and I don't have to render the thing on my machine and risk it failing after 16 hours of crunch time that turns into 1 hour on cloud rendering servers.

But, they will need to have local installation as an option for aforementioned reasons.  I see it start slowly and will gradually tip as the adoption rate goes up.  Even with a high adoption rate, there will still be a need for local installs regardless of popularity.  (Government installs for instance)

Mark Flayler Application Engineer - Manufacturing Solutions Division
IMAGINiT's Manufacturing Solutions Blog:
http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/
ryanb
Message 6 of 18 (447 Views)

04-12-2012 06:23 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

I have a feeling it will turn into something like the online RPG's first. The software "client" will be on a local machine with the licenseing to be handled by the cloud. I expect there will be an option to Cloud some of the heavy duty rendering also. Still allows you to rent a license for a little while and gives AutoDesk the "Big Brother" type control they want without over taxing infrastructure for the low bandwidth areas.

Also allows them to require updates to access your software online, thus keeoing everybody on the same page. It would also allow Updates on the Cloud end that would require user interaction.

It is something I want nothing to do with.

*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 7 of 18 (435 Views)

04-12-2012 07:09 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

I dont like the "Online" part of it.  I want to keep my installations local.  I dont want to have to access the internet in order to use software that I have a license for. What happens when something goes down (something beyond my control) and I cant gain access.... then I'm dead in the water.

I dont even like the idea of working in "The Cloud" or storing files online.

I have to wonder "Why" they would want to do this.  Its usually about the money. Are they going to do away with how we purchase the software now and go to a "per use" basis?

Mentor
Doug_DuPont
Message 8 of 18 (427 Views)

04-12-2012 07:20 AM in reply to: karthur1

It's a good thing, Then their cloud goes down we can charge Autodesk back for the time it's down and they will pay us.:smileylol:

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2013
GeForce GTX 580
Windows 7 64 Bit
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 9 of 18 (421 Views)

04-12-2012 07:40 AM in reply to: karthur1

karthur1 wrote:

I have to wonder "Why" they would want to do this. 

The question should not be "why they would want to do this" but rather, why would the customer want to do this.

We have hundreds of seats (education institution) that must be managed and alway fighting for up-to-date hardware to run the software.

Perhaps cloud computing would be an easy way to manage and at the same time give access to far superior hardware through less than ideal hardware.

Having said that, 3yrs.  LOL 

Yes we will see some processing intensive stuff move to the cloud.

But I'm wagering out 10 years to anything we can describe as disruptive innovation.  Geoffrey Moore, et al

http://www.google.com/search?q=geoffrey+moore+crossing+the+chasm&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Se...

Remember the NC?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 10 of 18 (384 Views)

04-12-2012 09:37 AM in reply to: JDMather

JD,

Yes, there are a lot of liocenses to maintain, but it would still be up to the company to do this.  There for the customer would have the control.  Not Autodesk.  Like it has been said and I agree, if Autodesk runs this ship then we are not only having to pay for a license, but having to run it on their terms and not ours.  I am not in favor of that.

Yes, the upgrades and all of that are nice, but again, we are in control of it not Autodesk.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube