Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Products going totally to Online useage???

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Cadmanto
929 Views, 17 Replies

Autodesk Products going totally to Online useage???

Anyone have any thoughts on this link and if they think this is at all scary?

http://www.3dcadtips.com/will-autodesk-products-all-be-used-online/

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
mflayler2
in reply to: Cadmanto

The biggest roadblock to this sort of move is company IT as well as existing infrastructure in the US.  Bandwidth is not the same in every area, some places still only have dial up.  There will be desktop variations as long as they are needed, but overall the strategy makes very good sense as long as data can be stored locally, it removes hardware roadblocks and updating problems with service packs and hotfixes.  There are actually more pros than cons with this sort of movement, but yes it is a disruptor.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 18
Cadmanto
in reply to: mflayler2

Mark,

You bring up some very good points.  I do like the thought of not having to keep up with

hotfixes or SP's.  Like you said this would cause issues with some company's that still have dial up

and as long as you still have the option to store locally.

But I am concerned about the "Big Brother" is watching you theory or the corporate control of large company's

dictating the ways us consumers want to or have to use said products.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 4 of 18
rhinterhoeller

That decision would be the end of my subscription.

IV 2013 Product Design Suite 64 Bit
Win 7 64 bit
Message 5 of 18
mflayler2

There also has to be a way to incorporate third party addins and custom programming that companies do.  The Inventor Exchange App store is a start in that direciton.  But image this...pay for only one piece of software when you need to use it.  Lets say I only Showcase for a month.  Lower my costs for everything else and let me use Showcase when I want to pay a little more for it.  Oh and I don't have to render the thing on my machine and risk it failing after 16 hours of crunch time that turns into 1 hour on cloud rendering servers.

But, they will need to have local installation as an option for aforementioned reasons.  I see it start slowly and will gradually tip as the adoption rate goes up.  Even with a high adoption rate, there will still be a need for local installs regardless of popularity.  (Government installs for instance)

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 6 of 18
ryanb

I have a feeling it will turn into something like the online RPG's first. The software "client" will be on a local machine with the licenseing to be handled by the cloud. I expect there will be an option to Cloud some of the heavy duty rendering also. Still allows you to rent a license for a little while and gives AutoDesk the "Big Brother" type control they want without over taxing infrastructure for the low bandwidth areas.

Also allows them to require updates to access your software online, thus keeoing everybody on the same page. It would also allow Updates on the Cloud end that would require user interaction.

It is something I want nothing to do with.

Message 7 of 18
karthur1

I dont like the "Online" part of it.  I want to keep my installations local.  I dont want to have to access the internet in order to use software that I have a license for. What happens when something goes down (something beyond my control) and I cant gain access.... then I'm dead in the water.

I dont even like the idea of working in "The Cloud" or storing files online.

I have to wonder "Why" they would want to do this.  Its usually about the money. Are they going to do away with how we purchase the software now and go to a "per use" basis?

Message 8 of 18
Doug_DuPont
in reply to: karthur1

It's a good thing, Then their cloud goes down we can charge Autodesk back for the time it's down and they will pay us.Smiley LOL

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 9 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: karthur1

@karthur1 wrote:

I have to wonder "Why" they would want to do this. 

The question should not be "why they would want to do this" but rather, why would the customer want to do this.

We have hundreds of seats (education institution) that must be managed and alway fighting for up-to-date hardware to run the software.

Perhaps cloud computing would be an easy way to manage and at the same time give access to far superior hardware through less than ideal hardware.

Having said that, 3yrs.  LOL 

Yes we will see some processing intensive stuff move to the cloud.

But I'm wagering out 10 years to anything we can describe as disruptive innovation.  Geoffrey Moore, et al

http://www.google.com/search?q=geoffrey+moore+crossing+the+chasm&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Se...

Remember the NC?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 10 of 18
Cadmanto
in reply to: JDMather

JD,

Yes, there are a lot of liocenses to maintain, but it would still be up to the company to do this.  There for the customer would have the control.  Not Autodesk.  Like it has been said and I agree, if Autodesk runs this ship then we are not only having to pay for a license, but having to run it on their terms and not ours.  I am not in favor of that.

Yes, the upgrades and all of that are nice, but again, we are in control of it not Autodesk.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 18
JDMather

Even under best described scenarios of possible use and no security or reliability concerns - I just don't see evidence of the technology up to the task out on the horizon for 10 years or so.  The 3-yrs is what I scoff at.  So even if it would be great for me but not so good an idea for others - I'm wagering the technology just won't be there any time soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 12 of 18
Cadmanto
in reply to: JDMather

With so many things operating on clouds or apps I could argue your point.  While I hope you are right, I see it happening in a lot less years.  I would not be surprised at three years or less at all.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 13 of 18
DVDM

I would love to see everything in the cloud eventually.

Just have a thin client and peripherals on my desk, the rest somewhere running in a server farm.

It reduces the cost of hardware ownership, should reduce the cost of license ownership (only pay for what I use, pay for each minute used).

Ofcourse that means the file management in the cloud as well, so I don't have to worry about buying and setting up complex replicating servers.

However, just a few moments ago, I was doing an Inventor 2012 tutorial, which is now web based through the wikihelp page. Each time I clicked 'next', I had to wait up to 5 seconds for the next page to load. That is, until the next page failed to load completely, and the entire wikihelp seemed down for some time.

If navigating a simple wikihelp website is giving me such a slow user experience, then things have some way to go before I can imagine something as complex as Inventor running in the cloud.

Message 14 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: DVDM

I'd demand a SLA (service level agreement) to ensure 0 downtime,etc.. and then of course Autodesk would have to charge more for that level of service and no one would pay because online software is really only benefitting Autodesk and then back to 87 DVD's in the mail we go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 15 of 18
rhinterhoeller
in reply to: DVDM

Please help me with this concept.  Arguably the most advanced project of humanity, SETI, attempting to find life elsewhere in the universe, invites us to collectively apply the computing power of the machines on our desks for that incredible goal whereas some dude at AutoDesk is telling us that we should configure our machines into dumb terminals because he has an issue delivering reliable software.  One concept empowers us to achieve a higher goal, the other has us covering for the inadequacies of someone out of touch with reality.

Poke me for my real opinion.

Richard

IV 2013 Product Design Suite 64 Bit
Win 7 64 bit
Message 16 of 18
jeanchile
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

@Doug_DuPont wrote:

It's a good thing, Then their cloud goes down we can charge Autodesk back for the time it's down and they will pay us.Smiley LOL

AWESOME!!! Hopefully there will be some input fields where we can put in our standard rates for the different services at our offices.

The last two times I tried to upload a file to the cloud so I could use my iPad in a presentation it failed and I gave up. The first time I couldn't log in and the second time the file wouldn't upload properly. I ended up taking my laptop and I haven't used the service since.

Nothing scares me more than this cloud crap and I will fight it to the very end, or change software if I have to. Unless they actually will send me a check when it doesn't work at which point I am likely to be very rich.Smiley Happy

Inventor Professional
Message 17 of 18
Paul-Mason

When it goes wrong it goes wrong big time

Today I've uploaded several file to third party site that uses iCloud the upload went Ok, however when I came to do a test down load I got a message box saying they've been converted to MS Office 97 Doc format, not much use when you want them to remain in IAM, IDW etc. format so others IV can user can have free use them.

Now it a question of how long befor the problem is fixed and it been a waste of two hours thinking it was somthing that I was doing wrong.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 18 of 18
Lance127

Yeah sounds like a capitol idea. After all what could go wrong.

Autodesk is experiencing issues with 2013 download availability. This is due to high volumes of fulfillment activity. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report