Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor professional 2014

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
sred6200
3513 Views, 23 Replies

Autodesk Inventor professional 2014

Why does this software run terribly on my laptop. I have a high end MSI gaming laptop that should be able to handle this software easily, but it runs terribly. My laptop runs games perfectly with no error, and everything else works fine. Why does Inventor professional 2014 run so badly? I'm only using the monthly autodesk 360 trial and I need this software to work to get schoolwork done. Any suggestions?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
sam_m
in reply to: sred6200

welcome to the forum.

you might think/know it's a high end gaming laptop, but we don't...  Can you please post your hardware specs and driver version.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 24
JDMather

@sred6200 wrote:
... I'm only using the monthly autodesk 360 trial ....

What does this mean?

http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 24
dgorsman
in reply to: sam_m

"Games" can cover a wide range as well.  Most will run acceptably on most hardware because they can take all sorts of shortcuts and optimizations: they only need to do *one* thing.  Inventor is more taxing than pretty much any game simply because it has to do many things.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 24
sred6200

MSI gt60 2oc-o22us

Screen Size 15.6 inches Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080 Max Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-4700MQ RAM 8 GB DDR3 Memory Speed 1600 MHz Hard Drive 1 TB SATA Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA Geforce GTX770M Graphics Card Ram Size 3000 MB Wireless Type 802.11bgn Number of USB 2.0 Ports 2 Number of USB 3.0 Ports 3
Brand Name MSI Series G Series Item model number GT60 2OC-022US Hardware Platform PC Operating System Windows 8 Item Weight 7.7 pounds Item Dimensions L x W x H 14.97 x 10.24 x 1.77 inches Color Black Processor Brand Intel Processor Count 4 Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA-600 Hard Drive Rotational Speed 5400 RPM Optical Drive Type DVD SuperMulti Audio-out Ports (#) 2 Battery Type Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) Batteries: 1 Lithium ion batteries required.    
Message 6 of 24
sred6200
in reply to: dgorsman

Well, my laptop should be able to handle inventor professional 2014. I have an MSI gt60 2oc-022us. It's got a 4th gen I7-4700, 8 gig RAM, Nividia gtx770m graphics.

Message 7 of 24
dgorsman

Devil's in the details:

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-4700MQ - a little pokey, but not horrible

RAM 8 GB - should definitely be more for a 64-bit technical software package

Hard Drive Rotational Speed 5400 RPM - not sure with every description packed together like that, but if this is a conventional disc drive its WAY slow.  Solid state is preferred, or at least a 7800 RPM drive.

Message 8 of 24
cwhetten

You're machine specs are decent enough, I don't see any deal-breakers there.

Some laptops (maybe all?  I don't use one...) come with a graphics chip integrated into the motherboard.  If both the graphics card (your GTX770M) and the integrated chip are enabled, this can cause major performance problems in Inventor.  You should check to see if this is the case with your computer.  If so, try disabling the integrated graphics and see if this clears up the performance issues.

By the way, 8 GB RAM is probably the minimum I would ever recommend for Inventor, but that is the minimum needed to RUN WELL.  In other words, 8 GB is just fine to do a lot of work in Inventor.  Of course, this really depends on what you are trying to do--massive / complex assemblies and drawings of those assemblies are going to require more than 8.

I work in the water treatment industry designing industrial equipment and systems, and I have gotten adequate performance from Inventor with my computer specs (listed below) most of the time.  I have only occasionally done work that has maxed out my computer's performance (although, when this happens, it can be excruciating).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IV2014 Pro SP 1, Build 222; Vault Basic 2014 Update 1
Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1; Intel Xeon Duo @2.40 GHz, 9 GB RAM,
NVIDIA Quadro 2000, 1024 MB GDDR5

7200 rpm HDD (nothing special)

Two 1920x1080 monitors

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 9 of 24
sred6200
in reply to: cwhetten

Ok well I appreciate the responses from you guys. Yes my laptop has the integrated graphics. I'm thinking that it's just the intel hd graphics that are being used all the time though. I haven't really tried turning on the nvidia graphics yet. So I would think that inventor would work ok. Anyone know how to turn one graphics card off vs the other?

Message 10 of 24
JDMather

If you reboot with the power supply plugged in - it should default to the nVidia card.

Open Inventor and go to Tools>Application Options>Hardware tab and click Diagnostics.

EESignature

Message 11 of 24
sred6200
in reply to: JDMather

What do you mean reboot with the power supply plugged in? Just a regular restart or reboot the inventor? Sorry I'm really not the most tech savvy person or very familiar with autodesk yet. Also, I did what you asked "Open Inventor and go to Tools>Application Options>Hardware tab and click Diagnostics" and it didn't do anything special. I think it just said that it was using my intel hd graphics. I'll copy paste below what pops up when I click diagnostics.

This Direct3D graphics driver is Microsoft WHQL certified Graphics Hardware Description: Intel Corporation Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

AIRViz Device Manager \ VirtualDeviceDx11 Feature Level 4_5 Performance Mode Hardware Renderer

Graphics driver file igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32 is version 9.18.10.3071 Current optimization settings are not known The display is using 32-bit color

Inventor Version:

Build: 170, Release: 2014 RTM - Date: Thu 02/28/2013       64-Bit Edition - 8192.00 GB

Loaded Inventor Add-Ins:

Routed Systems: Tube & Pipe Mold Design BIM Simplify Inventor Studio Design Accelerator Frame Generator BIM Exchange Routed Systems: Cable & Harness Drag & Drop Interoperability Simulation: Stress Analysis

System Information:

Operating System:   64-bit Microsoft Windows 8 (Build 9200) Language:    English System Manufacturer:   Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. System Model:    GT60 2OC/2OD BIOS:     E16F4IMS.506 Processor:    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (1 processor, 4 physical cores, 8 logical cores) System Memory:    7.890 GB RAM

Graphics Device Information:

Renderer:    HAL Manufacturer:    Intel Corporation Chip Type:    Intel(R) HD Graphics Family DAC Type:    Internal Graphics HW Memory:   2.925 GB Display Mode:    1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59 Hz)

Graphics driver file:   igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32 Driver file version:   9.18.10.3071 Driver Date:    19 March 2013 0:00:00 UTC (Coordinated Universal Time)

Direct3D Graphics Device Information:

Adapter Description:   Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Vendor ID string:   0x00008086 Device ID string:   0x00000416 VendorID:    8086 DeviceID:    416 SubSystemID:    10e81462 Revision:    6

Direct3D 10 / DXGI System Information:

Dedicated Video Memory:  2.925 GB Dedicated System Memory:  0 MB Shared System Memory:   3.695 GB

DxDiag System Information:

Operating System:   Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504) Language:    English (Regional Setting: English) System Manufacturer:   Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. System Model:    GT60 2OC/2OD BIOS:     E16F4IMS.506 Processor:    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz System Memory:    8192MB RAM Page File:    3397MB used, 5897MB available DirectX Version:   DirectX 11 DxDiag Version:   6.02.9200.16384

DxDiag Graphics Device Information:

DirectX Version:   11.0 DDI Version:    11 DDI Version Number:   b DxDiag WHQL Level:   0 Driver Signed Valid:   True Driver Signed:    True Manufacturer:    Intel Corporation Chip Type:    Intel(R) HD Graphics Family DAC Type:    Internal Revision:     Graphics HW Memory:   6778 MB Display Mode:    1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Graphics driver file:   igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32 Driver file version:   9.18.0010.3071 Driver Date:    4/23/2013 17:40:11 WHQL Level:    1

Inventor Options Information:

Options = 0x00000000 Warning Options = 0x00000000

Graphics driver log information:

Message 12 of 24
Martin_Goodland

This thread has information on issues with the Nvida Optimus driver selecting the wrong graphics card to use with Inventor. It seems this is also the problem on your laptop.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-General/Potential-gaming-card-issues-with-2014-or-is...

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 13 of 24
JDMather

@sred6200 wrote:

What do you mean reboot with the power supply plugged in? ... did what you asked "Open Inventor and go to Tools>Application Options>Hardware tab and click Diagnostics" and it didn't do anything special. I think it just said that it was using my intel hd graphics..... 

... Graphics Hardware Description: Intel Corporation Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

My computer only uses the nVidia card when the power supply is plugged in (not on battery power), I thought maybe yours might be the same.

By running the Diagnostics - you did accomplish something - you verified that Inventor is not using the nVidia card.

EESignature

Message 14 of 24
sam_m

It looks like your laptop is only using the internal Intel gpu and not the Nvidia gaming one - welcome to the "fun" world of Nvidia's Optimus technology...  In a lot of respects it's a nightmare...

In theory the laptop should use the internal gpu all the time and automatically jump over to the high-powered Nvidia gpu when 3d calculations are needed.  Sadly, this doesn't always happen - and with the number of Optimus laptops ever increasing it's something Autodesk really need to fix.

things to check (I don't have my laptop at hand so I can't remember the exact wording):

1) make sure you're using the latest Nvidia drivers - install with the advanced option enabled and then make sure to click "clean install" button and reboot

2) when the pc is rebooting go into BIOS if there's an option to disable the internal Intel gpu (and disable if you can) - i think it's only there on Quadro laptops, but no harm looking in case it had been added to newer gaming machines.

3) I think there's a Nvidia Optimus taskbar icon - (right?) click and choose settings, I think there's an option about prefered display (choose Nvidia card) and options about whether to prefer performance or battery-life (choose performance).

4) goto Control Panel -> System and Security -> Power Options - change to "High Performance" and click on "Change plan settings" - make sure there's no mention of disabling the graphics card.  (I think this is why JDMather is finding a difference between plugged in power and not - it's using a different power plan when plugged in and possibly the gpu is being throttled back when not plugged in and "power saving")

I've just spotted this topic: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/368288-33-disable-nvidia-optimus-nvidia-card - which suggests it might help to have a clean install of windows with drivers from the manufacturer's websites (instead of using the "tweaked" drivers from the laptop make).  I might be worth a shot as a last resort?!?

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 15 of 24
Ray_Feiler

This can help with a slow hard drive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/using-windows-readyboost-to-increase-performance/

If your laptop has an SD card slot I'd use it with a high speed 4 GB card otherwise use a high speed USB 3.0 - 4 GB thumb drive.

Hope that helps, Ray

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 16 of 24
sred6200

Well, I tried all 4 of your solutions, and everything that I could think of. Nothing has worked and I can't find a way for my laptop to use the nvidia graphics card. It only uses the intel hd graphics.

1) check

2) There's no option to enter into the bios when starting up my laptop. I see no message or press [key] to enter sort of thing. It boots up, has a black screen, the MSI letters appear in the middle, then it goes to my startup screen.

3) I don't have that option anywhere to choose which graphics card I'd prefer. But in the nvidia control panel I've chnged everything in my 3-D settings to where I want to use the nvidia graphics card: including for Inventor 2014 and Battlefield 3, but still my laptop will not use the nvidia graphics card.

4) I did that, changed it to high performance, but still inventor runs poorly.

Message 17 of 24
Ray_Feiler

"2) There's no option to enter into the bios when starting up my laptop. I see no message or press [key] to enter sort of thing. It boots up, has a black screen, the MSI letters appear in the middle, then it goes to my startup screen."

Try hitting the Delete key as soon as you see the MSI letters appear.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 18 of 24
dgorsman

At this point, flailing away at whatever settings you can find can set you back further than you were when you started.  Best to get one of your tech-savvy friends to work on it for beer and/or pizza; or take it in to a reputable computer service store with a good idea of what you want done (disable on-chip graphics and force the discrete video card to always be used).

Message 19 of 24
JDMather

sred6200 wrote:

2) There's no option to enter into the bios when starting up my laptop. I see no message or press [key]

Search the user forum for the computer manufacturer - I'm sure there is some key timing or sequence of keys to enter the bios.

Hmmm, the screen flashes so quickly on my machine I couldn't get the keystroke - so I went to my machines site and they listed a keystroke that doesn't work.  I couple more reboots and I finally saw it.  On my machine it is Ctrl i (at just the right tide with the moon in alignment with.....

EESignature

Message 20 of 24
LT.Rusty
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman wrote:

Devil's in the details:

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-4700MQ - a little pokey, but not horrible

RAM 8 GB - should definitely be more for a 64-bit technical software package

Hard Drive Rotational Speed 5400 RPM - not sure with every description packed together like that, but if this is a conventional disc drive its WAY slow.  Solid state is preferred, or at least a 7800 RPM drive.

What planet are you living on?  i7-4700MQ is very nearly the absolute latest and greatest Intel mobile chip.  It's NOT "a little pokey."  Also, 8GB is not that bad, so long as you're not trying to work with thousands and thousands of parts. 

My laptop has 8 GB of RAM and a two-generation-older i7 2630QM, and it runs Inventor Pro 2014 just fine.  Didn't have any problems running it with the 5400 RPM stock hard drive either, although I did put in an SSD eventually anyway.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report