Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor Series 7, Can't locate Vault or check in/out files

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Jaker22
1097 Views, 18 Replies

Autodesk Inventor Series 7, Can't locate Vault or check in/out files

I am having issues saving parts i change, any new ones i create seem to be fine. When i open a file and try to change a part/assembly, a dialogue box shows up saying "part is checked out by another user and/or work space. Cannot save changes unless it is checked out to you." I am signed in to the computer under the name it says the file is checked out under, but i cant figure out how to check a file out. I looked online for help, but I am using Inventor Series 7 and I can't find info on it. I am new to Autodesk and the Vault system, and I'm not sure if i have a Vault Server or Vault Add-in because i can't find any Vault options inside of Autodesk. I noticed the old engineer that had my job before me had the same issues that were never resolved. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
-niels-
in reply to: Jaker22

Welcome to the forum!

From what i can get from your post i think the previous engineer might have use semi-isolated settings.
If you cannot find anything Vault related, then you probably aren't using it.

There are a couple of tools on charles bliss's website for "unreserving" or check in/check out, that might help solve your problem.
I have had to use one of them in the past, but i can't fully recall which one and how it worked exactly.
Just give both of them a go, start with the latest.
(they're located almost at the bottom of the page.)

http://www.cbliss.com/inventor/iCode/index.htm

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 19
Jaker22
in reply to: -niels-

Thank you for your quick response, I tried both links and can't figure out how to have it do what i need. Do these utilities only work for unreserving files in the directory, or files inside Inventor? Also, i am logged on as the old engineer, so its saying the files are reserved by me. Any new parts/assemblies I make I can edit and save without a problem, just the old parts/assemblies the previous engineer created wont let me save changes. Inside Inventor, when I go to Projects, under Multi-User it says Shared, not Semi-Isolated. 

Message 4 of 19
Cadmanto

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have access to the vault client?  Do you see a vault tab within your inventor session?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 19
Jaker22
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thank you. I do not have any Vault tabs, and when i did a search on my computer for Vault, it brought up these files.

Vaultfiles.settings

assetfiles.settings

vaultlog.cfg

VaultPrefs.dat

Also, when I acces the Add-In Manager, there are no Vault server/Client Add-Ins anywhere. 

Message 6 of 19
-niels-

I checked, it was the Unreserve tool i used.
This is a standalone tool, you select the directory your files reside in and can then use the "show state" button to see if there are files that are unavailable.
If there are, you can use the "unreserve" button to clear their state.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 19
Jaker22

I was using the Unreserve Utility incorrectly, i figured it out now though. Thanks!

Message 8 of 19
mis3VTWXV

Hi Niels,

I'm hoping you can help me too. I get the same check-out to some else's account pop-up, but it's checked out to me ofcourse and I cannot save or alter the file. Now I downloaded the unreserve tool and looked at the status, which then tells me that the files is probably corrupt. Strange beceause I did not do anything to this file, in fact before this issue started appearing, I had already saved a copy as at .stl and 3D pritned it. That was fine. I came back the file, measuring distance on the model and out of habbit wanted to save it over the existing save (for good measure.... see what I did there). And then got this error with the checking-out nonsense. I do not have/use Vaults, there is not activer add-in for it in my version and when searcing my computer I don't even find any of the vault related files mention buy the previous user. 

As I have already printed this part, and it is a component of a larger assembly (and I am a total noob and it took me 2 days to make it) I would really like to figure out how to save my file, or copy it to a new place project or something, without having to remake the whole thing. Unfortunately all the copy options when the object is selected are now greyd out.

Any clue what is going on and how to fix/patch/resolve it?

Cheers,

Mila

Message 9 of 19
mdavis22569
in reply to: mis3VTWXV

Mila, you may want to start a new thread about this. This is an old one ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 10 of 19
-niels-

Welcome to the forum Mila!

Can you still "save as" or "save copy as" with that file or does that give errors as well?

If you can't, is it possible to share your file here?

This thread is already 3 years old, so i'm a bit fuzzy on the solution but i'd expect that if the file is not corrupt the unreserve tool should do the trick.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 11 of 19
mis3VTWXV

Hi Niels,

I can't save or save as copy. I get the following error:

Problems encounted while saving the document ... without any option to expand on the specifics of the error.

Here is my file:

Please don't laugh... that it took me 2 days to make this. (I also made 3 more parts... so it's not quite that pathetic)

Also, thanks for replying so fast! Fantastic!

Message 12 of 19
WHolzwarth

Looks like an IPJ file instead of an IPT.

Smiley Wink New attempt, Mila ..

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 13 of 19
-niels-

wh is probably right, it is not an inventor ipt.
If i open your file with wordpad it shows a lot of regular text and that's not right for an inventor ipt.

So something might have gone wrong when saving...

You could check if there is a working version of your file still in the "oldversions" subfolder where you originally saved that file.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 14 of 19
mis3VTWXV

Ok,

So I did that. Went to the OldVersion subforder (who knew it existed, good thinking though) and opened the old version of my document which is from the 17th of March. And apperently at that point in time, I had not mastered extrussion yet, so all I get is the sketch.

How did you guys figure it's not an .ipt? It's called an ipt if I look at the file properties. Or do you mean beased on the code you saw in notepad.

Is there anything to be done? Or is it a lost cause and should just start over from the sketch?

Cheers,

Mila

Message 15 of 19
mis3VTWXV

Actually,

There are two OldVersion folders, One seems to be from the 21st of March. There is a file there which is a .ipt file and I tried opening it but it doesn't allow me to. Error.

Will you try to open it, please ?

P.S. Sorry I had to zip it or it wouldn't uplaod

Message 16 of 19
-niels-

Yes, i based that on the code i saw in notepad, the small filesize and the fact that when trying to open it with inventor view it said it was not a valid inventor file.

If you no longer have a file that opens with the geometry you need, then i think it might be a lost cause and it would be better to start over with the sketch you still have.
(or recreate from scratch, for practice)

I can't really say what might have gone wrong with your file, but for the future just remember to save often and hope this was just a small mistake. 😉

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 17 of 19
WHolzwarth

This file is the backup of the above Project file, and should be normally named Mold Inventor.ipj.bak

Perhaps the IPT in search is saved to a separate folder. You can try a Windows search for Mold Inventor.ipt, but Windows search is slowly.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 18 of 19
WHolzwarth
in reply to: WHolzwarth

One more advice:

I think, you have checked your Windows Explorer settings like in the red circle. I recommend unchecking this.

After that you'll see not only a thumbnail, but the filename extension as well.

Uncheck this.jpg

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 19 of 19
mis3VTWXV
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Thank you Niels, wh and Walter,

I will remake the part, it shouldn't take me that long this time. Practice does make perfect. Still wish I knew what I did to it to corrupt it, but I guess it will have to remain a mystery.

I also changed the folder settings, thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers,

Mila

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report