Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Student license full version Windows 8.1 startup issue

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
Roachmeister
2746 Views, 32 Replies

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Student license full version Windows 8.1 startup issue

I actually bought Windows 8.1 and MS Office 360 specifically to take advantage of the free trial of Inventor. I have been living without MS in my life quite happily for some 5 years and it was something of a rude awakening to come back into that workd at this point in history. As it turns out, Inventor  2015 does not run out of the box with Windows 8.1, and supported versions of Windows 7 are no longer available. You can get unsupported OEM versions. That really is not appropriate for me.

Has anyone gotten Inventor to run on 8.1? I have tried compatibility modes for 7 and Vista service pack 2 to no avail. I have seen various fixes ranging from fussing with the registry to doing something about .Net, but I am not capable at this point of really understanding which fixes might or might not apply to me.

Please let me know what other information you might need to help. Thanks.

32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33
Roachmeister
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Search your hard drive for the 001 and 002 compressed files I showed earlier.

As I have indicated, I do not have those files. You had said you have access to the student area. You should know there is an "Install Now" version, a "Download Now" version, and a "Browser Download" version. I do not have the option for the "Download Now". I am currently downloading a file using the "Browser Download" Option, but it is not the same file you are talking about either. 

DiffInstlFile.png

It appears to be both files concatonated. The files I have are as I have posted before, and are for the "Install Now" option.

AutodeskInstaller.png

I get a new one whether I need it or not every time I go back to the installation site. You have to be connected to the installation site in order for this file to work, otherwise you get this error message.

InstallNeedsNetwork.png

This is misleading as all you really need to do is go back and restart the "Install Now" installation option (which automatically redownloads the file before it starts, which is why I have four of them and counting). When I do that, I get an installation screen I cannot show you right now because I am in the midst of the aforementioned download. When I get that screen, it says Inventor is already installed but I need to add English. There is a confusing link to a folder with no further information.

I am going to finish this download and see if it helps, but I have a pretty slow connection so you won't be hearing from me until later tonight. Hopefully the download doesn't founder in the midst.

I fear it will not be easy to do a clean uninstall as the files are quite clearly ON the Computer, and yet Program Manager does not see Inventor as being installed any longer. 

Whether or not Windows 8 was available when Inventor 2014 came about is somewhat irrelevant since Inventor still offers the 2014 version even today. Point is, these two files that I showed in the error log and issues with the registry and with .Net seem to be a recurring theme with bad installs for Inventor.

Thanks.

Message 22 of 33
JDMather
in reply to: Roachmeister

@Roachmeister wrote:

JDMather wrote:

Search your hard drive for the 001 and 002 compressed files I showed earlier.

As I have indicated, I do not have those files. You had said you have access to the student area. You should know there is an "Install Now" version, a "Download Now" version, and a "Browser Download" version. I do not have the option for the "Download Now". I am currently downloading a file using the "Browser Download" Option, but it is not the same file you are talking about either. 

DiffInstlFile.png

It appears to be both files concatonated. The files I have are as I have posted before, and are for the "Install Now" option.

Whether or not Windows 8 was available when Inventor 2014 came about is somewhat irrelevant since Inventor still offers the 2014 version even today.... 

That image indicates there are two parts, that is you are downloading part 1 of 2.
The next download would be 002_002, that is , part 2 of 2.  (refer back to my original image)

(you have to go back to get this second download - it is not obvious and at first looks like you are downloading part 1 (I use IE))

If you have a slow connection the browser download method probably won't work for you. (in my experience if it takes more than 3-4 hrs to download part 1 - the download is corrupted.

Service Packs and Updates have been released since Win 8 was released for Inventor 2014.  Since you are trying to install 2015 - these are irrelevant to your issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 23 of 33
Roachmeister

Indeed. It's almost as if it would be better if people could get installation media. If only someone would invent a technology whereby someone could mail you physical media to be installed locally.

Or a technology that allows distributed downloading of different pieces of a download and their reassembly on the local computer that is able to check for faults would work as well.

Message 24 of 33
JDMather

@Roachmeister wrote:

It's almost as if it would be better if people could get installation media....

I burn the install files to DVD for my students who have slow download connections.
I also help them install the software if they have trouble.

Where is your instructor?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 25 of 33
Roachmeister

Our session is over. I think he is around for summer, and I also know the guy who does the tech support for the lab. The thing is it would seem to be a violation of the license. Or is there a spot during the install where you type in the key? 

Yeah, I guess there is isn't there? I'll check with them next week. Thanks again.

Message 26 of 33
JDMather

The install files (from any source) install as 30-day trial.

You have to use your personal Serial Number assigned by the Autodesk student community to activate the extended 3-yr student license.

I recommend to my students (as I do myself) install and run the software in trial mode for at least a couple of weeks before activating the license.  That way if something is not right - at least you don't run into an activation problem too.  Get the install problems solved, any other problems and then activate.

EESignature

Message 27 of 33
Roachmeister

@Anonymous wrote:

That image indicates there are two parts, that is you are downloading part 1 of 2.
The next download would be 002_002, that is , part 2 of 2.  (refer back to my original image)

(you have to go back to get this second download - it is not obvious and at first looks like you are downloading part 1 (I use IE))

Yeah, it looks for all the world like it is just re-downloading part 1. It even has it named with the (1) affixed as if it is a copy of the already downloaded first file.

Go back where to get the second file? Same link? How in the world would it even know to start with the second file?  Why can't they just have the two separate files listed like any other normal download anywhere else on the internet?

This is indeed quite frustrating.....

Message 28 of 33
Roachmeister

If I ever get this downloaded, can someone tell me how I "Install with administrator rights"? Right click the installer and run as administrator?

Just want to be sure, I have turned off firewall, have no antivirus, and excel has been started now, so this adminstratitor rights issue is the last one I need to address.

Oh, and how to uninstall... Does the installer have that option?

Message 29 of 33
Roachmeister

Alrighty,. with the caveat that I had to look up the second install file online and cheat and find its direct download link from trial.autodesk.com subdomain, downloading the full fledged installer seems to have been the fix for my issue. There were three thigns eft to install from the librabry(?) and also I had to install the english language pack by going to an indicated folder and clicking the language pack installer separately. All of this was showing in the network install as well, but whenever I would tell the network installer to install it, it would go through the motions and then when I would restart it it would say that they still were not installed.

Thanks Dr. Mather. If you're not an actual Phd, you still fit the bill for Doc in my book. I marked your post about the distinction between the installer download files 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 as the fix for lack of a single post that encompassed the whole situation.

And again, thanks.

P.S. is there a set of things to do with this that you would recommend to be sure the install is fully functional? You mentioned to wait a week or two and test it before starting the student licensing so I wondered if you had any suggestions.

Message 30 of 33
JDMather

@Roachmeister wrote:

P.S. is there a set of things to do with this that you would recommend to be sure the install is fully functional? You mentioned to wait a week or two and test it before starting the student licensing so I wondered if you had any suggestions.

Most common problem encountered are the add-ins not working.

Go to Environments tab and check that Inventor Studio, Stress Analysis, work.  Check the Dynamic Simulation and Design Accelerators in the assembly environment.

EESignature

Message 31 of 33
antlord

Please allow me to hijack this thread, in order to ask a quick question. I have Inventor Professional 2014 Student version installed on my Windows 7 machine (64-bit) and now that I've heard about that new bangin' Freeform modelling feature I want to upgrade to 2015. I've done the Browser download on the free downloads for students page, so Autodesk_Inventor_2015_English_Win_64bit_dlm_001_002.sfx.exe is just sitting there waiting while I clear this up: can I simply upgrade by running this application or do I have to do a clean uninstall of the 2014 version? I'm guessing it's the latter, which is a bummer, but so be it if that's the case, hopefully things won't get botched.

Message 32 of 33
jeffrey.sin
in reply to: antlord

Hi Antonio,

Welcome to the Community.

If you have enough disk space, you can actually install Autodesk Inventor 2015 together with the 2014 version onto the same machine/computer.

Jeffrey Sin

Autodesk Customer Support
Message 33 of 33
antlord
in reply to: jeffrey.sin

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I have now installed the 2015 version and all seems to work fine, except for an issue with the Content Center.

I've downloaded a few of the Remote Content Libraries and when I double click the setup.bat file, after having extracted the zips, the ContentCenterLibrary application complains about needing Autodesk Data Management Server to be installed. I chose to install absolutely everything along with Inventor Professional 2015 when prompted about it, including Vault Basic 2015. Regardless, I've looked for this Autodesk Data Management Server application, to no avail. Do I have to install Vault Professional 2015?

Not that I'm completely unhappy with this particular change, but in your "continuing effort to speed download and install times for customers", you've ended up complicating things, leading to a greater waste of time, at least in my case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report