Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Student license full version Windows 8.1 startup issue

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
Roachmeister
2778 Views, 32 Replies

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Student license full version Windows 8.1 startup issue

I actually bought Windows 8.1 and MS Office 360 specifically to take advantage of the free trial of Inventor. I have been living without MS in my life quite happily for some 5 years and it was something of a rude awakening to come back into that workd at this point in history. As it turns out, Inventor  2015 does not run out of the box with Windows 8.1, and supported versions of Windows 7 are no longer available. You can get unsupported OEM versions. That really is not appropriate for me.

Has anyone gotten Inventor to run on 8.1? I have tried compatibility modes for 7 and Vista service pack 2 to no avail. I have seen various fixes ranging from fussing with the registry to doing something about .Net, but I am not capable at this point of really understanding which fixes might or might not apply to me.

Please let me know what other information you might need to help. Thanks.

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
JDMather
in reply to: Roachmeister

@Roachmeister wrote:
.... As it turns out, Inventor  2015 does not run out of the box with Windows 8.1...

What is your source for this (incorrect) information?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 33
Roachmeister
in reply to: JDMather

See above where I state that I have tried it in 8.1, plus using compatibility mode for Windows 7 and Vista SP 2. That and a handful of posts on this forum suggesting the sorts of fixes I enumerated. 

I try to start it and the mouse pointer gives the little timer like the computer is trying to do something, and nothing comes up. When I go to task manager, there is no Inventor running.

Why, does it work for everyone but me? =( 

Again, is there some more information I can give to help troubleshoot?

Message 4 of 33
raith-mb

Again, is there some more information I can give to help troubleshoot?

Yes, you could start with tellig us the hardware configuration you try to install and run Inventor 2015

Message 5 of 33
Roachmeister
in reply to: raith-mb

Intel I5 3.5 Ghz, 32 gb RAM, Nvidia 660 video card. Seems to be all they require under hardware recommendations here.
I'm assuming Nvidia 660 supports "Microsoft Direct 3D 11" It supports Direct X 11. 2G of video memory.

It's not the latest and greatest but I would not have figured it to choke on Inventor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127699

Message 6 of 33
JDMather

@Roachmeister wrote:

... That and a handful of posts on this forum suggesting the sorts of fixes I enumerated. 

Urls of these posts?  Were they referring to 2014 or were they referring to 2015?

Did you run MS Excell at least once before attempting the Inventor install?

Did you install with administrator rights?

Did you set UAC to lowest setting (and reboot) before attempting install?

Did you turn off anti-virus during the install?

The other things you have tried kind of worry me as they don't really seem relevant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 33
JDMather

@Roachmeister wrote:

I try to start it ...

Start what?  The install or the software?

Where did you download?

Did you get any errors during or at the finish of the install?

Message 8 of 33
Roachmeister

I'm a little embarrassed to report, no I cannot find them. I read them like YESTERDAY, and cannot even find them in Google.

Anyhow, I did not start excel first, nor did I set the UAC settings at all. So that may well be it. The other two I did do. 

Do I need to do a full uninstall and reinstall? :-S

Message 9 of 33
Roachmeister

Inventor 2015 installed without a hitch, or so it seemed. But Inventor does not start once the system rebooted after installation. 

I didn't try any of the .net or registry fixes because they seemed out of my league, and now as I replied to the other poster above I can't find them... I feel like a rube. I don't THINK i made them up, but oh well...

Message 10 of 33
JDMather

@Roachmeister wrote:

Inventor 2015 installed without a hitch, or so it seemed. ....

Your problem description would seem to indicate otherwise.

Before going the clean uninstall route -

1. Where did you download the software?

2. What is the size of your compressed 001 and 002 downloads?

2015 downloads.PNG

3. Run MS EXcel once.

4. Set UAC to lowest setting and reboot.

5. Turn off anti-virus.

6. Go to Control Panel and right click on Inventor and do a Repair Install.

Report back here.

Message 11 of 33
Roachmeister

Thus the term "so it seemed".... Smiley Frustrated

I only got one download. More or less by accident I downloaded it three times. All three times it was the same size. You know how it renames them (1) and (2) etc... But it is the same file.

Autodesk_Inventor_2015_English_Win_64bit_wi_en-US_Setup 10,794 kb

So that's a little disturbing.... Still, I got an installer that then downloaded a ton of stuff online. Are you sure yours is not for a non-network install?

I'll try the fixes and get back with you as well. 

Thanks!

P.S. So the way I installed it was through a link for students that seems to require I restart that link to get the installer to run. It does not give me an option to repair the installation in Control Panel/install programs (or however they are expressing that these days). In fact, it tells me it may already have been uninstalled and asks me if I want to remove it from the list.

There's a ton of other stuff from Autodesk that installs through that student link. It's this one.

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/inventor-professional

Not sure what all you will see besides a log in. It gives options for downloading and installing once you have verified a student email and sign in through Autodesk.

Message 12 of 33
JDMather

@Roachmeister wrote:

Post actual screen shot.

I always use browser download rather than the autodownloader.

My install is single seat, and the image I attached is of the compressed download before extraction and before installation.

Message 13 of 33
Roachmeister

I'll be back... I added a note to my previous post which did not update until after you replied, but I do not appear to have the option of downloading the entire installer.

Message 14 of 33
JDMather

Roachmeister wrote:

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/inventor-professional

Not sure what all you will see besides a log in. It gives options for downloading and installing once you have verified a student email and sign in through Autodesk.

As a faculty member I have access to the student community website.

I am more interested in screen capture of this, including the path on your hard drive.

I am surprised that you do not see this

Control Panel.png

in Control Panel, but maybe that is because I am communicating from a Win7 machine rather than a Win8 machine.

Message 15 of 33
Roachmeister

How do I quote you? Lost...

Anyhow,. I do have this in Control Panel...

AutodeskUninstallChange.png

But if I try to change it it gives me this.

CantUninstal.png

I got the repair option you mentioned earlier but failed to get a screen shot. It said I had repaired SOMETHING, but I do not remember exactly what. Something to do with English.  It looked like the installation screen from Autodesk. It no longer comes up for me. 

Looking at that screen shot it appears I have the wrong thing highlighted, but if you look just below you can see the normal Autodesk Inventor entry and I get the same Uninstall/Change option.

In retrospect I may have "repaired" DWG. I can get that screen if I go back and select DWG and click that Change/Uninstall popup.

Message 16 of 33
Roachmeister

Not sure if this is the screen shot you wanted for the path. It should work though.

Path.png

Possibly this will be easier to read...

MoreLegible.png

Message 17 of 33
Roachmeister

FWIW, I found one of the posts I had seen earlier, and it is neither on these forums nor strictly speaking specific to Windows 8.1.

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2014/04/inventor-2015-startup-crashes.html

I think part of the reason I said Inventor 2015 was not compatible with Windows 8.1 might be that I read it as I was trying to use the compatibility troubleshooter in Windows 8.1 itself.

SpcfcIncmptbl.png

I still can't find the one that had to do with .Net, but it seems likely it was equally not applicable. Sorry for the early red herring. I guess I was tireder than I thought.

Message 18 of 33
Roachmeister

While I am at it.... This is from event viewer. These two errors seem to repeat over and over. 

Faulting application name: Inventor.exe, version: 19.0.15900.0, time stamp: 0x530fd13c
Faulting module name: MSVCP110.dll, version: 11.0.51106.1, time stamp: 0x50988283
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000003b161
Faulting process id: 0x788
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf6b550a8545ad
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\Bin\Inventor.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\MSVCP110.dll
Report Id: 496ef0ad-d748-11e3-8262-bd473ef2b5e3
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: ApprenticeRegSvr.exe, version: 19.0.15900.0, time stamp: 0x530fa35a
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17055, time stamp: 0x532943a3
Exception code: 0xc06d007e
Fault offset: 0x00011d4d
Faulting process id: 0xc7c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf6b55483004ee
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\Bin\bin32\ApprenticeRegSvr.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 85e2286b-d748-11e3-8261-bd473ef2b5e3
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Message 19 of 33
Roachmeister

Aaaand, using that error code I get this mention of the .Net framework I had remembered from the day before yesterday.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/I-can-t-get-any-version-of-inventor-to-start/td...

So I wasn't ENTIRELY crazed. Still not sure how I found it the first time and why I utterly failed to find it earlier yesterday.

Message 20 of 33
JDMather

I didn't see any information in your references that indicate Inventor 2015 is not compatible with Win 8 (one of the references was for Inventor 2013 and 2014 (Win 8 did not even exist when those products were releasesed).

In any case, from your screen shots Inventor is not correclty installed. 

One of your screen shots is in the Program Files, not the download files as I requested.

I suspect  you are going to have to do a Clean Uninstall and start over from the beginning.

Search your hard drive for the 001 and 002 compressed files I showed earlier.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report