Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor 2013 and Windows 8.1 Desktop Preview

89 REPLIES 89
SOLVED
Message 1 of 90
Cool_Breeze_Jr
37797 Views, 89 Replies

Autodesk Inventor 2013 and Windows 8.1 Desktop Preview

Ok I installed 8.1 and I get an error when trying to open AI Pro '13. I have tried all service packs and still no luck. Rolling back to 8. It seems I have to reinstall 8 OS all together. Asking for media content when I try recovery. Word of advice, wait until Autodesk says it's ok to install 8.1 for all compatibility.

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro
Autodesk Product Design Suite 2014
89 REPLIES 89
Message 61 of 90

Rick,

Have you tried re-registering the Inventor dll's ? That's documented as part of the update process for win8.1. See info toward the end of here

Ensure you do that using Run as Administrator, even if you're already an admin.

Then right click Inventor icon & try Run As administrator.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 62 of 90

Chris,

I did try that and yet again after receiving your reply but unfortunately that did not help.

Rick.

Message 63 of 90

Chris,

I learned how to navigate the cmd prompt and when i got stumped on the part of the file path

inventor.exe

I went looking and could only find a file named

inventor.exe.config

Is this the file I need to continue with?

Thanks, Rick

Message 64 of 90

Rick,

No, in the command prompt you just need to type:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Bin\Inventor.exe" /install

The ""'s are needed too.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 65 of 90

Chris,

I was able to get the unregister part to process and inventor started then crashed but I did not get the CER (crash error report), I followed through with the "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Bin\Inventor.exe" /uninstall then right clicked and ran inventor as administrator. Any idea why the CER did not pop up.

Antivirus program is shut off!

Message 66 of 90

Try the same command with /install not /uninstall

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 67 of 90
carbarral
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Good morning,

I read all the posts, but could not solve my problem.
I could see that Autodesk has released some service pack for inventor 2013 run on windows 8.1. But in my case, I'm trying to install Inventor 2013. In all attempts the installation fails due to .Net framework 3.5 is not installed. Ever tried to enable it in Control / Programs and Features / recrusos windows panel, but he's the error 0x800F0906.
Please, someone could help me.

Thank you.

Rodrigo.

Message 68 of 90
mcolinp
in reply to: carbarral

If you go into the control panel to programs and features > go to "turn Windows Features on or off":

-the very first option in the list should be .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)

Make sure it is checked (and that you are connected to the internet); press "OK". It will then download .NET 3.5 and ask you to reboot.

You should now be able to install inventor 2013; ignore the compatibility warnings, then apply the latest patches (hotfix) and service pack after the installation.
Message 69 of 90
carbarral

Ok, I tried this procedure on a virtual machine installed with windows 8.1 and there did not work, I try to direct the machine. How is a new note, I do not want to risk installing unsure of the operation.
Once you have the results, I'll post here.

Thank you.

Message 70 of 90
Ecosse
in reply to: mcgyvr

2013 does nork on windows 10 either. i also have revit architecture on a laptop with win 7, think it will be staying that way

Message 71 of 90
mcolinp
in reply to: Ecosse

It does; if you use the patches . . .

I have been using it with the Windows 10 preview, and I think it actually seems to work better than before . . .
Message 72 of 90
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: mcolinp

To use Inventor 2013 on win8.1 you need to apply the latest updates:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/update-6-fo...

Ensure to follow the manual dll regsitration steps in http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

This applies to win10 too.

Note we don't officially support 2013 on win10 yet.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 73 of 90
red0801

Chris, 

Can you paste the link to the Inventor 13 updates again please?  It seems the link in your original post is corrupt. 

Thanks, 

Ryan

Message 74 of 90
DannyHubbard
in reply to: red0801
Message 75 of 90
woodsman09
in reply to: DannyHubbard

I finally figured out that if you disable your firewall in your antivirus program, and after you install all updates and service packs, inventor 2013 starts up and will not crash.

Message 76 of 90
woodsman09
in reply to: woodsman09

I had inventor 2013 working again on windows 8.1 then decided to try the upgrade to inventor 2016. Couldnt fet it to fire up so i created a restore point and uninstalled inventor 2013. Couldnt get 2016 working so I went back and used my restore point to undo the changes, guess what, 2013 is crashing again even after reinstalling all updates, command prompts and reregistring the dll's.

I wanted to make a move into HSMExpress for creating toolpaths for cnc, which is in and of itself complicated and now I am back to square one.

Message 77 of 90

It sounds like you should focus on getting 2016 installed/wroking properly.

Did you install SP1 after installing 2016 ?

Based on your comments that you had to disable firewall/AV etc for 2013, you may be hitting an issue with "MyHome" in 2016. You can disable MyHome by setting a registry value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion20.0\System\Preferences\File\ShowHomeBaseOnStartup - Set to 0

If you reinstall 2016, try adding SP1 & then let us know how it goes.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 78 of 90

Tried many times, for two days, no luck getting 2016 installed. I reinstalled 2013 and got it running by installing sp2 and update 6. Product key and serial number doesnt match the format requested. I have a 19 digit serial number and a 20 digit product key, it doesnt match the 2016 serial number format that i purchased and it is that format that 2013 is prompting me for.

I dont know enough about the registry editing, i would defenitely cause myself some headaches especially after doing the last recovery to a restore point. It keeps the updates you install after the restore point.

Maybe I should wait a while to try and install 2016. It kept telling me that inventor 2016 was installed but i had no desktop icon and it would not run from the command prompt.

Message 79 of 90
blair
in reply to: woodsman09

Odd, your serial number should be:

XXX-XXXXXXXX

Product Key:

XXXXX

Your Activation Code from Autodesk should be a matix of fourteen 4-digit alpha-numeric numbers

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 80 of 90
woodsman09
in reply to: blair

It is not in that format and i know i have the correct info, i have a document that has all the info on it from all my programs. The 2016 info does match but I couldn't get it installed,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report