Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor 2013 and Windows 8.1 Desktop Preview

89 REPLIES 89
SOLVED
Message 1 of 90
Cool_Breeze_Jr
37704 Views, 89 Replies

Autodesk Inventor 2013 and Windows 8.1 Desktop Preview

Ok I installed 8.1 and I get an error when trying to open AI Pro '13. I have tried all service packs and still no luck. Rolling back to 8. It seems I have to reinstall 8 OS all together. Asking for media content when I try recovery. Word of advice, wait until Autodesk says it's ok to install 8.1 for all compatibility.

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro
Autodesk Product Design Suite 2014
89 REPLIES 89
Message 2 of 90
sam_m
in reply to: Cool_Breeze_Jr

tbh I didn't think they had officially said Iv2013 was supported on Win8, let alone 8.1...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 90
sam_m
in reply to: sam_m

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?id=19048377&linkID=9242018&siteID=123112

^ Inventor 2013, even with a service pack, isn't (yet) on the Win8 compatibility list - you need Iv2014...

Sam M.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 4 of 90
Cool_Breeze_Jr

Well you can add AIP 2013 to the Win8 list because it works like a charm! It only failed when I installed the Win8.1 Desktop Preview.

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro
Message 5 of 90
sam_m

m8, there's a certain irony in your posts...

first you say "Word of advice, wait until Autodesk says it's ok to install 8.1 for all compatibility" but now you're saying to ignore Autodesk's approved list and use Iv2013 on Windows 8...

Have you used every feature of 2013 with windows 8?  maybe you've not stumbled upon the reasons why it's not on the approved list (yet, if ever).  Have you tried a load of hardware configs too to ensure stability with both Nvidia and AMD cards/drivers?  Perhaps it's recognized that future Win8 patching might bork Iv2013, oh wait, it has...  Tbh, I think you should go back to your first comment and leave it to AD to announce when it's safe to move to Win8 with 2013...

Is it wise for a user to state it's good to use Iv2013 with Win8 before Autodesk?  what happens if someone reads it, they install Iv2013 throughout their company, on your statement, and then have no end of problems?  Should they come to you or AD for support?  There's been a topic recently about whether anyone is liable for loss of earnings due to stability issues - surely you're putting yourself in a tricky spot by suggesting to ignore AD's approved list and use your judgement instead?

Bottom line, if you're using Iv2013 then use Win7 (until any future SP adds support, if it happens) and if you want to use Win8 then (at present) you need Iv2014.

Sam M.

Message 6 of 90
Cool_Breeze_Jr

Thanks for your input.Smiley Happy

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro
Message 7 of 90
aargear

http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/windows-81-preview-autodesk-inventor-warning/

Hi Scott, I'm the Product Line Manager for Autodesk Inventor so
I thought I'd add a short comment just to let you and your readers know that
we're aware of your post and the issues you mention. We’re currently
investigating what we need to do to support Windows 8.1 and we’ll update you as soon as we have news of our progress.

Regards,

Steve.

My test was:

Faulting application name: Inventor.exe, version: 18.0.17000.0

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9431.0

(W8.1 with Update & PDSU 2014 with Update 2 "Clean install on clean HDD")

Message 8 of 90

Autodesk Inventor 2014 don't work over Windows 8.1, or i don't know how i could run in Win 8.1!!!

Message 9 of 90
erblock
in reply to: aargear

It's been another 1.5 months since the latest Autodesk update on this issue.  Please advise if fix will be ready by official release of 8.1 in October, or sooner (hopefully).  Workaround would also be acceptable.

Message 10 of 90
mcgyvr
in reply to: erblock

@erblock wrote:

It's been another 1.5 months since the latest Autodesk update on this issue.  Please advise if fix will be ready by official release of 8.1 in October, or sooner (hopefully).  Workaround would also be acceptable.

You will get it when its ready.. Smiley Tongue

Workaround = Stay on Windows 7..

I don't understand why people feel the need to ignore clearly posted system requirements for a piece of software..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 90
erblock

"RTM" is here.  Let's go.  Afteralll, windows 8.1 is still windows 8 Smiley LOL,  so Inventor "SHOULD" be good to go by now... Ha!

Message 12 of 90
aslevins
in reply to: mcgyvr

Staying on windows 7, isn't possible once we've upgraded to windows 8.1 we'd lose all our data.  Secondly Windows 8.1 is still technically windows 8, it utilizes the same kernel and has most of the features are common, therefore it would not be unreasonable to expect a program that works on windows 8 would work on windows 8.1.  

Message 13 of 90
aargear
in reply to: Sebastian2000

Message 14 of 90
blair

Make a copy/backup of your data. If it's worth doing, it's worth backing up.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 90
aargear

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/Inventor_2014_SP1_Readme_enu_222.html

Summary of Issues Fixed by this Service Pack

Application Functionality

Cannot launch Inventor on Windows 8.1 Preview operating system.

Message 16 of 90
erblock

Does this SP also fix the broken Windows File Explorer that resulted from installation of Inventor 2014 on Win 8.1 RTM?
Message 17 of 90
mcgyvr

I don't get it.. Is god/obama/someone forcing people to move to Windows 8.1 ?? 

Surely your IT department is not...

"If you want to be a front runner expect to get hit by a car every now and then"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 18 of 90
DarrenP
in reply to: mcgyvr

the RTM verison of the service pack is out for Inventor 2014

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=22322619&linkID=9242019&CMP=OTC-RSS...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 19 of 90
tranttina2
in reply to: DarrenP

so, why is inventor 2012 on win8.1?
Message 20 of 90
Cool_Breeze_Jr
in reply to: aslevins

So have any of you installed 8.1 and are using IV Pro '13? Is it working ok?

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report