Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk - API & Help

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
NachitoMax
376 Views, 6 Replies

Autodesk - API & Help

Why cant Autodesk provide a comprehensive help support for addins? The API has objects not listed in the help and the help files assume you already know about the API. If i already knew about the API, i wouldnt need to look up any help......

explanations of differences would be great too like 'requirements for marshalled connections' vs direct connections.

why not just have one way of doing things instead of 10 ways? its confusing and frustrating.....

furthermore, you rarely respond to questions. I have asked questions and put a lot of time into making sure my code is available to properly explain my issues but there are never any replies. Whats the purpose of the Forum if the OP only ever asks the questions to themselves????

RANT OVER

Nacho

Automation & Design Engineer

Inventor Programmer (C#, VB.Net / iLogic)

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: NachitoMax

Message 3 of 7
NachitoMax
in reply to: cbenner

Hi

Sorry for the rant 🙂

I post all of my code related questions in the Inventor Customisation and anything to do with normal General enquiries in this forum. I totally understand that people dont 'have' to answer anything at all however, as this is an Autodesk forum, a bit of participation from them would go a long way. Im not a leecher and i contribute where possible 🙂

Thanks

Nigel

Nacho

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 4 of 7
cbenner

I've been known to rant from time to time myself, I think we're all guilty.

My guess is that (despite the fact that some of us have these fancy logos by our names) you may be asking questions for which the experts simply... don't know the answer.  You've stumped the band as they used to say.  I would rather believe that than to think they're just ignoring you.  😉

Message 5 of 7
mrattray

To Chris's point, I try to go over there no and again and answer what I can. However, most of us CAD guys, including myself, only have a basic understanding of programming. In my case, I'm entirely self-taught through trial and a lot of error. At one time that forum used to be "patrolled" by people from the ADN (AutoDesk Developer Network) that actually knew what they were doing. Unfortunately, I've noticed a decline in their level of participation recently.
I'll try looking through some of the recent posts there and see if I can help you out, but I can't promise I'll actually have anything to contribute.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 7
NachitoMax
in reply to: mrattray

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. I don't feel like I'm being ignored per se, I feel that autodesk should have more involvement and better support for the users of their products. If not at least, provide a better more understandable help file documentation for their API. I find it peculiar that the documentation doesn't even cover every aspect of the API.

I'm also self taught and from a VBA background. I spent 10 yrs building and maintain developer tools for ms Access so with VBA , I know what I'm doing. Vb.net is new to me and again, self taught but inventor aspects have thrown me a kipper so to speak lol...

As I get to know and understand more about the API, I'll happily post back.

From what I have read about vb.net and DLL vs exe, it shouldn't matter about the code as it's still code. The problems arise when inventor reads the a DLL which why autodesk need to provide more support or descriptions of what to expect and how to overcome problems.

Thanks 🙂

Nigel

Nacho

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
mrattray

I agree; the documentation for the API is sorely lacking. I thought there was an idea station request to improve it, but I can't seem to find it. Anyways, there are a bunch of ideas in there to improve the different aspects of automating Inventor. Feel free to post links to any relevant ones you find or create yourself in this thread, I'm always up for giving kudos to good programming suggestions.

Link: Inventor IdeaStation

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report