Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto changing the size of a part

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
fbprescher
1672 Views, 6 Replies

Auto changing the size of a part

After Part is inserted into an assembly and after the Part is changed ( say the length from 16.25 to 17.75), How do I auto change the "Part Number" to match this new length in the parts list? 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: fbprescher

Is this a frame generator part?

Did you save this part as a new file after you did the length change? (and then replace the part with the new one in the assembly?

Is this an ipart or iassembly?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
fbprescher
in reply to: mcgyvr

this is not a frame generator part nor an ipart or iassembly. after i change it i did not make a new part. i have assembled an assembly of parts that are mated to others, and when ichange the distance between two parts the others change to it. however when i create the drawing, the parts list will not change these sizes with it. i'm new to this program and think i need to learn more on the iParts, iAssembly and iLogic part of the program... for now

Message 4 of 7
mcgyvr

So does your part number have the length or something in the part number?

Where/how is this length referenced in the parts list?

If for example you have part1.ipt.. Now you want to make a new part thats just like part1.ipt but a different length you would first open part1.ipt then do a save as and give it a new part number (like part2.ipt). Then make the changes you want to part2.ipt.. Now if you have an assembly that is already using part1.ipt but now it should be using part2.ipt what you do is right click on part1.ipt in the assembly and select "Component" flyout then either replace (if there is only 1 instance of part1.ipt in the assembly) or replace all (if there are multiple instances of part1.ipt that you want to replace with part2.ipt.

as for iparts..

Now..If I was to make a "group" of parts where all but a few dimensions are changed I would have made that an ipart family.. Then you can have a table that you can pull in your dimensions that are changing and easily update/create new parts by simply adding a new member to that ipart family table..

Like maybe you make table legs and you have 10 different parts and the only difference is the length of the table legs.. That is a perfect candidate for an ipart family.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 7
fbprescher
in reply to: mcgyvr

i have created an .iam drawing and inserted square tubing by using the Component>Place from component center. selecting ANI AISC HSS (Square) 1-1/2x1-1/2x1/8 and gave it a length of 10. then is adds it to the folder as AISC HSS - 1-1_2x1-1_2x1_8 - 10.ipt ounce saved into the assembly i mate the part so it is in place. the part in the brouser is listed as AISC HSS - 1-1_2x1-1_2x1_8 - 10:1  now when i move the parts it is matted to... say moving to 13.125 apart, the tubing changes but the 10 does not. so when i create a drawing the length of peice is what i want to show a length on, does not show correctly in the part number. 

Message 6 of 7
mcgyvr

Sorry I don't use content center so there may/should be a better way..but this is how I would do it..

Simply open the AISC HSS - 1-1_2x1-1_2x1_8 - 10.ipt part and do a save as and change it to AISC HSS - 1-1_2x1-1_2x1_8 - 13.125.ipt then right click on the old part in your assembly and select component..replace and now select your new "longer" part..

Message 7 of 7

If you don't care about the fielname and just want the part number to change, find the parameter that equals the length of the part to change, and select the 'export' tick box.

Go to your part number and modify the formula to read ' = "AISC HSS - 1-1_2x1-1_2x1_8 - "& <LengthParameterName>

Make sure that when you export the desired parameter you 'right-click' and select your custom formatting to your desired settings.

You can insert any parameter in any field in your iProperties as long as you can export them just put the parameter name in '<>' and put an equals '=' in from of the equation.

----------------------------
Kristopher Reaves

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report