Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Desk Inventor and using a Milling Machine (Spectra light mill)

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
mikehill
2710 Views, 22 Replies

Auto Desk Inventor and using a Milling Machine (Spectra light mill)

M Hill, Feb 26 10:04:

I currently use AutoDesk Inventor Pro for my 7th grade PLTW D & M class. For output I have a Maker Bot 3 D printer...AWESOME! I also have a Spectra Light mill. I was told I can use Auto Desk Inventor or http://cam.autodesk.com/hsm with this as well? Can you help how to get this up and running?

Thank you,
Mike
I appreciate your help very much!!

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Cadmanto
in reply to: mikehill

Welcome to the forum Mike.

Typically when it comes to interfacing with will CNC or milling machines it is the xport type that you need to know.

At one of my old companies when I was using Solidworks, we exported our models in .dxf format so that the Mastercam software could read it.

So, when file types does your software except?

Also, when you say you need help setting this up, what does that ok like for you?  Are you looking for help to install software, network interface? or what exactly?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 23
mcgyvr
in reply to: Cadmanto

HSM express works directly inside Inventor. A new "cam" tab will be created when you install hsm works.. Then you will setup stock size/origin point/tools,etc..

There are numerous youtube tutorials to get you started..

For the 3d printer you simply model your part in inventor then export to stl file.. Open the stl file with the program that came with your printer.

Surely your teacher will be able to help you with this as I doubt they let 7th graders run milling machines without guidance/supervision. 

oh and I'd highly suggest never putting your phone number or email in a public forum.. Maybe a moderator can edit that for you to remove it. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 23
mikehill
in reply to: mcgyvr

Good morning!!

Sorry if I mislead you but I am the PLTW teacher. Our 3D printer is working fabulously and your operating instructions are exactly what my students do. Thanks again for such a quick response.

As far as the Light Mill, I am quite confused how we can get a drawing from Inventor exported and converted to G codes for the mill. Presently, my students will write a program, from a drawing they made on graph paper, where they plotted points. The have the mill cut from point to point to point. Our district computer tech guy is quite savvy but he and I are in need of more direction. Really hope you can help.

PS Currently we use CNC Base program .

Thanks again!
Mike

Michael C. Hill | PLTW/Tech Ed.
Big Lake Schools | Middle School/High School
501 Minnesota Avenue | Big Lake, MN
O: 763.262.6184 | F: 763.262.2539
www.biglake.k12.mn.us

High Expectations, Exceptional Results
Message 5 of 23
mikehill

Good morning!!

As far as the Light Mill, I am quite confused how we can get a drawing from Inventor exported and converted to G codes for the mill. Presently, my students will write a program, from a drawing they made on graph paper, where they plotted points. The have the mill cut from point to point to point. Our district computer tech guy is quite savvy but he and I are in need of more direction. Really hope you can help.

PS Currently we use CNC Base program .

Inventor lets me save files as:

ZGL, XGL, STL STEP, SAT, PRO/ engineer neutral, Pro/engineer granite, parasolid text, parasolid binary jt, iges, catiav5 part, autocad dwg, files.

Thanks again!
Mike

www.biglake.k12.mn.us

Message 6 of 23
Cadmanto

You say you are a PLTW teacher.  What does PLTW stand for?

What is the CNC base program?  What is this program called?  Does it have a manual?

When I used to export out of Soilidworks it was using a drawing exporting out as a .dxf.

Are you using a model?

I never used Mastercam.  Only knew what format to export out into.  I am not a programmer so I cannot help with "G" codes or anything along those lines.

I amy not be of much help here, I am just trying to figure out if there is an export type that you should be using that can be imported into this CNC base program.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 23
mcgyvr

You don't export a drawing or anything for milling.

HSM Express is an addin for Inventor and the functionality to create gcode from your 3d model is done directly in the Inventor program.

No exporting..no drawings.. 

You model the part in Inventor...go to the CAM toolbar that will be installed once you load HSM express and then setup the job (pick what will be the machine 0,0,0 point..define stock,etc.. Then you simply pick if you are drilling/milling/boring,etc..pick a tool..set heights,etc.. 

You can even simulate in 3d before you "post process" to create the Gcode to run the mill.

There are NUMEROUS tutorials/videos here.. Watch/listen/learn

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=inventor%20hsm%20express&sm=1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 8 of 23
Cadmanto

Fair enough.  I have not used that program before so I cannot speak to it.  I was only speaking to what I have used in the past to see if it would help.

This is out of my league!!! Smiley Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 23
mcgyvr

I got this Scott 🙂

I use HSM express all the time now.. Its AWESOME. at work on our Haas and at home on my cnc machine. 

Its one of the best things to come out of an Autodesk merger in a LONG time. 

Message 10 of 23
LT.Rusty

@mcgyvr wrote:

I got this Scott 🙂

I use HSM express all the time now.. Its AWESOME. at work on our Haas and at home on my cnc machine. 

Concur.

There's a few features that I wish HSM Express had - bridges / tabs, for one thing, and a simple V-carve / engrave function for another - but it's WONDERFUL to be able to make changes to my model and not have to start from scratch with the CAM side of things every time.

I can't wait for the full Inventor HSM to be released ...

(BTW - I'm jealous of your Haas ... I need to find a machine shop that's going out of business, then convince PG&E to let me have 480 in my garage in the middle of a residential neighborhood ... then figure out a way to convince my wife that she really doesn't want to park in the garage anymore ... )

Rusty

EESignature

Message 11 of 23
mikehill

You say you are a PLTW teacher.  What does PLTW stand for?  Project Lead the Way.  It is an awesome class called Design and Modeling for my 7th graders. They study engineering, design, precision measurement and production.....best thing I have taught in my 30 years!! It is a STEM program that our district, Big Lake MN. has fully embraced.

What is the CNC base program?  What is this program called?  Does it have a manual? The program is simply stated as "CNC Base for Spectra Light 0200 Machining Center.  No manual but a guide book we used to create code.

When I used to export out of Soilidworks it was using a drawing exporting out as a .dxf.

Are you using a model?  Not sure what you mean but if I follow you, we will draw a part on Inventor Pro and create it on the mill?  I want my students to experience an opportunity to build from the bottom up and also from a piece of stock.

I never used Mastercam.  Only knew what format to export out into.  I am not a programmer so I cannot help with "G" codes or anything along those lines.  Again, we are using AutoDesk Inventor Pro

I amy not be of much help here, I am just trying to figure out if there is an export type that you should be using that can be imported into this CNC base program.  Oh trust me, you folks ahve been of great help!!!!

Thanks Mike

Message 12 of 23
mcgyvr
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:

@mcgyvr wrote:

I got this Scott 🙂

Concur.

There's a few features that I wish HSM Express had - bridges / tabs, for one thing, and a simple V-carve / engrave function for another - but it's WONDERFUL to be able to make changes to my model and not have to start from scratch with the CAM side of things every time.

I can't wait for the full Inventor HSM to be released ...

(BTW - I'm jealous of your Haas ... I need to find a machine shop that's going out of business, then convince PG&E to let me have 480 in my garage in the middle of a residential neighborhood ... then figure out a way to convince my wife that she really doesn't want to park in the garage anymore ... )

Full HSM is in beta now.. Sign up.. 

2.5D is plenty for me.. I don't need full 3D (yet anyways 😉 )

Message 13 of 23
LT.Rusty

@mikehill wrote:

You say you are a PLTW teacher.  What does PLTW stand for?  Project Lead the Way.  It is an awesome class called Design and Modeling for my 7th graders. They study engineering, design, precision measurement and production.....best thing I have taught in my 30 years!! It is a STEM program that our district, Big Lake MN. has fully embraced.

What is the CNC base program?  What is this program called?  Does it have a manual? The program is simply stated as "CNC Base for Spectra Light 0200 Machining Center.  No manual but a guide book we used to create code.

Are you using a model?  Not sure what you mean but if I follow you, we will draw a part on Inventor Pro and create it on the mill?  I want my students to experience an opportunity to build from the bottom up and also from a piece of stock.

I never used Mastercam.  Only knew what format to export out into.  I am not a programmer so I cannot help with "G" codes or anything along those lines.  Again, we are using AutoDesk Inventor Pro

I amy not be of much help here, I am just trying to figure out if there is an export type that you should be using that can be imported into this CNC base program.  Oh trust me, you folks ahve been of great help!!!!

Thanks Mike

Yes, using HSM, you simply create a model with Inventor, then you use Inventor to create toolpaths which you then send to your milling machine.

HSM Express - the free version - is capable of 2.5D operations only.  You won't get full 3D capabilities without the full package, which has not been released yet.  2.5D operations will be plenty to get your feet wet with for now, though, and it sounds like maybe that's all you've been doing anyway if you're manually writing the G-code.

If you've already got Inventor installed, quit messing around on forums and start downloading HSM Express!!!!!!!!!

(but then come back to the forums afterwards.  It sounds like you're going to need some hints / tips / help.  🙂  )

Rusty

EESignature

Message 14 of 23
LT.Rusty

@mcgyvr wrote:

Full HSM is in beta now.. Sign up.. 

2.5D is plenty for me.. I don't need full 3D (yet anyways 😉 )

I'm already in the beta, I've been making chips with it both at home and at work for a while now.  I just tend to be very cautious about violating NDA's.  🙂

Rusty

EESignature

Message 15 of 23
Cadmanto

Mike,

This sounds like a great program.  My son is in 7th grade and to the best of my knowledge, (here in NY) there is not any such program in place.

Wish there was because while I could teach him about Inventor, I could also learn this aspect of the software that transcends into the milling machine and CNC.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 16 of 23
mikehill

Hello me again.

I downloaded Inventor HSM Express. What steps do I take to mill out a part? For example, with Inventor, I export as a CAD file, save as an stl file and open it in MakerWare (that is the program my MakerBot 3D printer usues) and print on the 3 D printer. I thought I would have a new icon on my screen? Thanks in advance......my students and I are really pumped!!!!

Mike

www.biglake.k12.mn.us

Message 17 of 23
LT.Rusty

You'll have a new tab on your ribbon in Inventor that's called CAM.  Basically, you just model your part, then you go to the CAM tab and create your machining setup and your toolpaths.  Post the code, then run it in your mill.

Bunch of tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hsm+xpress+tutorials&sm=3  That should get you started ...

I don't know if there will be a post for your specific machine already created, so you might need to work with the Autodesk CAM guys to figure that out.  My setup at home has a post that's pre-made for it, but the one at work not so much: the Autodesk guys were very good about it, and spent about a week working on a post that would output the sort of G-code that I needed. 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 18 of 23
mikehill
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Thanks so much.  This should give me a good start.

Mike

Message 19 of 23
mjroha

Hi Mike,
Did you ever get the post from Autodesk for your Spectralight mill? I teach CNC in my courses as well, and have two of the SL mills. I have 5 licenses of a CAM package, but want to streamline my class workflow so that students don't bottleneck on creating their g- code. HSM Express would be awesome if I can find valid POST's.

Thanks,
Mike
Message 20 of 23
mikehill
in reply to: mjroha

Hi Mike,
Thanks for getting back to me. I do have some good leads on how to get my AutoDesk Inventor and Light Machine Mill to "talk". I have not had time yet to get that done but have a couple days at the end of the year to get that done.

What do you teach and what level?

Mike
www.biglake.k12.mn.us

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report