Inventor General Discussion

mikehill
Message 1 of 23 (567 Views)
Accepted Solution

Auto Desk Inventor and using a Milling Machine (Spectra light mill)

567 Views, 22 Replies
03-11-2014 07:32 AM

M Hill, Feb 26 10:04:

I currently use AutoDesk Inventor Pro for my 7th grade PLTW D & M class. For output I have a Maker Bot 3 D printer...AWESOME! I also have a Spectra Light mill. I was told I can use Auto Desk Inventor or http://cam.autodesk.com/hsm with this as well? Can you help how to get this up and running?

Thank you,
Mike
I appreciate your help very much!!

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 2 of 23 (554 Views)

Re: Auto Desk Inventor and using a Milling Machine (Spectra light mill)

03-11-2014 08:05 AM in reply to: mikehill

Welcome to the forum Mike.

Typically when it comes to interfacing with will CNC or milling machines it is the xport type that you need to know.

At one of my old companies when I was using Solidworks, we exported our models in .dxf format so that the Mastercam software could read it.

So, when file types does your software except?

Also, when you say you need help setting this up, what does that ok like for you?  Are you looking for help to install software, network interface? or what exactly?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2013
(Colossians 3:23-25)

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 3 of 23 (538 Views)

Re: Auto Desk Inventor and using a Milling Machine (Spectra light mill)

03-11-2014 09:04 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

HSM express works directly inside Inventor. A new "cam" tab will be created when you install hsm works.. Then you will setup stock size/origin point/tools,etc..

There are numerous youtube tutorials to get you started..

For the 3d printer you simply model your part in inventor then export to stl file.. Open the stl file with the program that came with your printer.

Surely your teacher will be able to help you with this as I doubt they let 7th graders run milling machines without guidance/supervision. 

oh and I'd highly suggest never putting your phone number or email in a public forum.. Maybe a moderator can edit that for you to remove it. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

mikehill
Message 4 of 23 (499 Views)

Auto Desk Inventor and using a Milling Machine (Spectra light mill

03-13-2014 05:21 AM in reply to: mcgyvr
Good morning!!

Sorry if I mislead you but I am the PLTW teacher. Our 3D printer is working fabulously and your operating instructions are exactly what my students do. Thanks again for such a quick response.

As far as the Light Mill, I am quite confused how we can get a drawing from Inventor exported and converted to G codes for the mill. Presently, my students will write a program, from a drawing they made on graph paper, where they plotted points. The have the mill cut from point to point to point. Our district computer tech guy is quite savvy but he and I are in need of more direction. Really hope you can help.

PS Currently we use CNC Base program .

Thanks again!
Mike

Michael C. Hill | PLTW/Tech Ed.
Big Lake Schools | Middle School/High School
501 Minnesota Avenue | Big Lake, MN
O: 763.262.6184 | F: 763.262.2539
www.biglake.k12.mn.us

High Expectations, Exceptional Results
mikehill
Message 5 of 23 (495 Views)

Auto Desk Inventor and using a Milling Machine (Spectra light mill

03-13-2014 05:30 AM in reply to: Cadmanto
Good morning!!

As far as the Light Mill, I am quite confused how we can get a drawing from Inventor exported and converted to G codes for the mill. Presently, my students will write a program, from a drawing they made on graph paper, where they plotted points. The have the mill cut from point to point to point. Our district computer tech guy is quite savvy but he and I are in need of more direction. Really hope you can help.

PS Currently we use CNC Base program .

Inventor lets me save files as:

ZGL, XGL, STL STEP, SAT, PRO/ engineer neutral, Pro/engineer granite, parasolid text, parasolid binary jt, iges, catiav5 part, autocad dwg, files.

Thanks again!
Mike

Michael C. Hill | PLTW/Tech Ed.
Big Lake Schools | Middle School/High School
501 Minnesota Avenue | Big Lake, MN
O: 763.262.6184 | F: 763.262.2539
www.biglake.k12.mn.us

High Expectations, Exceptional Results
*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 6 of 23 (482 Views)

Re: Auto Desk Inventor and using a Milling Machine (Spectra light mill

03-13-2014 06:54 AM in reply to: mikehill

You say you are a PLTW teacher.  What does PLTW stand for?

What is the CNC base program?  What is this program called?  Does it have a manual?

When I used to export out of Soilidworks it was using a drawing exporting out as a .dxf.

Are you using a model?

I never used Mastercam.  Only knew what format to export out into.  I am not a programmer so I cannot help with "G" codes or anything along those lines.

I amy not be of much help here, I am just trying to figure out if there is an export type that you should be using that can be imported into this CNC base program.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 7 of 23 (480 Views)

03-13-2014 06:56 AM in reply to: mikehill

You don't export a drawing or anything for milling.

HSM Express is an addin for Inventor and the functionality to create gcode from your 3d model is done directly in the Inventor program.

No exporting..no drawings.. 

You model the part in Inventor...go to the CAM toolbar that will be installed once you load HSM express and then setup the job (pick what will be the machine 0,0,0 point..define stock,etc.. Then you simply pick if you are drilling/milling/boring,etc..pick a tool..set heights,etc.. 

You can even simulate in 3d before you "post process" to create the Gcode to run the mill.

There are NUMEROUS tutorials/videos here.. Watch/listen/learn

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=inventor%20hsm%20express&sm=1

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 64 bit

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 8 of 23 (474 Views)

03-13-2014 07:04 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

Fair enough.  I have not used that program before so I cannot speak to it.  I was only speaking to what I have used in the past to see if it would help.

This is out of my league!!! :smileyhappy:

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 9 of 23 (472 Views)

03-13-2014 07:07 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

I got this Scott :smileyhappy:

I use HSM express all the time now.. Its AWESOME. at work on our Haas and at home on my cnc machine. 

Its one of the best things to come out of an Autodesk merger in a LONG time. 

Windows 7 64 bit

*Expert Elite*
LT.Rusty
Message 10 of 23 (454 Views)

03-13-2014 08:17 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

mcgyvr wrote:

I got this Scott :smileyhappy:

I use HSM express all the time now.. Its AWESOME. at work on our Haas and at home on my cnc machine. 

Its one of the best things to come out of an Autodesk merger in a LONG time. 

Concur.

There's a few features that I wish HSM Express had - bridges / tabs, for one thing, and a simple V-carve / engrave function for another - but it's WONDERFUL to be able to make changes to my model and not have to start from scratch with the CAM side of things every time.

I can't wait for the full Inventor HSM to be released ...

(BTW - I'm jealous of your Haas ... I need to find a machine shop that's going out of business, then convince PG&E to let me have 480 in my garage in the middle of a residential neighborhood ... then figure out a way to convince my wife that she really doesn't want to park in the garage anymore ... )

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013, 2014, 2015

Work: Dell Precision T1600 (Xeon E3-1280 / 16GB / 512 GB SSD / 250 GB (Internal) / 1 TB (External) / Quadro 600)
Home: i7-4770k / ASUS Z87-Pro / 16GB / 250 GB SSD / 1 TB HDD / 3 TB USB3 HDD / Radeon R9-270X 4GB
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite P755-S5269 (i7-2630QM / 8 GB / 250 GB SSD / 750 GB HDD / GT540M)

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube