Inventor General Discussion

*Pro
ampster
Message 11 of 13 (238 Views)

Re: Associate inventor to step files.

06-21-2011 06:17 AM in reply to: GustavStigsohn

GustavStigsohn wrote:

Why is it not good to use it as the default program?

reference what Dennis J. posted in this thread earlier.

It's not a good idea.

*Expert Elite*
jtylerbc
Message 12 of 13 (236 Views)

06-21-2011 06:23 AM in reply to: GustavStigsohn

Mostly because it bypasses the point where you would select the "Options" button during an import.  This is a particular problem when importing assemblies, because it takes away your chance to set the save file path for the parts.  This causes them to dump into the root of your workspace, potentially making a mess if importing an assembly file with many parts.  There are other settings for special situations or problem files that you would miss the chance to use as well.

I had a computer at my previous job on which I had accidentally associated STEP files to Inventor (I used "Open With", and forgot to uncheck the "Always Use . . ." box.  If I knew I was opening a single part, it wasn't that big of a deal.  Since I transferred a lot of single parts from an old legacy system using STEP, I left the association in place.  I just had to remember to go through the File-Open-STEP procedure when I knew I was importing an assembly.

More than once I was importing what I thought was a single part, but turned out to be an assembly.  Or I would just simply forget.  The results were often messy, dumping (in some cases) several hundred part files into the root of a shared network file structure where our models were stored.

Depending on what you're doing, you might be able to get away with it.  In general, I would agree with the others that it's not a good practice.

John Tyler
Inventor 2013
Windows 7 64 Bit
Contributor
GustavStigsohn
Message 13 of 13 (233 Views)

06-21-2011 06:31 AM in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't had the problem you described when I used Inventor 2011. Anyways, I will try STPViewer, it will probably do.

Thanks!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube