Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly mass in LOD versus View representation.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
HarryP108
622 Views, 6 Replies

Assembly mass in LOD versus View representation.

I have read that LOD's should be used only where large assemblies are being worked with - for reasons of computer performance. I occasionally work with assemblies where I require a "Tare" mass and a "Gross" mass. 

In this case simply using a View Rep where the visibility of a part or machine is turned off still gives me the Gross mass. ie the mass with the part or machine still in the assembly. Should I be using an LOD or is there a better way?

Regards.

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: HarryP108

Use View-Reps as much as possible. There are other aspects as in the IDW environment that use View-Reps and not LOD. As you have mentioned about the Gross-Mass.

LOD is primarily intended as a memory foot-print reduction tool for large assemblies.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
HarryP108
in reply to: blair

Currently use view reps in my idw's.
The view rep, unless I am doing soemthing wrong, does not give me an updated mass when I turn visibility off of some parts. eg gross mass 3500 kg. Turn visibility of slurry pump off - gross mass still 3500 kg. How can I get around this? What am I doing incorrect?
Regards. 

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.
Message 4 of 7
Dennis_Jeffrey

View reps affect visibility, mass is calculated on all components

LOD affects suppression. mass is not calculated on suppressed parts If No is selected during suppression phase. See attached:

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 5 of 7
HarryP108
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

So how would you get around my problem?

Regards.

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.
Message 6 of 7
Dennis_Jeffrey

I would use the LOD and suppress the parts you do not want to calculate in mass properties. Create a new LOD for this purpose and select the No option for calculations.  Here's a 2012 example & files attached.

4-9-2011-NG000062.png

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 7 of 7
HarryP108
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

As I suspected.

Thank you.

Regards.

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums