Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly cut

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
janitor1
404 Views, 6 Replies

Assembly cut

I make an assembly cut and I want to be able to have it suppressed and unsuppressed in levels of detail. But when I suppress I get "Note: suppressing assembly features will also suppress dependent constraints. Continue?" Is there a way to do this? Applications include making assembly sections for use in drawings, chopping off long columns for a better view, etc.....

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: janitor1

What's wrong with it suppressing dependent constraints? All this is saying that is if you created a hole as an assembly feature and then constrained a screw to that hole, then suppressing the hole will also suppress the constraint between the screw and the hole.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 7
janitor1
in reply to: mrattray

The problem I have is that I am unable to have both suppressed and unsuppressed exist as different levels of detail. I have Master, Full length columns, and Cut columns LOD. Cut columns is an assembly cut unsuppressed and Full length columns is the assembly cut suppressed. Trouble if I suppress the assembly cut it is suppressed everywhere (all LOD including the Master) and if I unsuppress the assembly cut it is unsuppressed everywhere (all LOD including the Master). So it seems that I cannot have an assembly cut exist and not exist on different LOD. The assembly cut, of course, is directly above the red X "End of Features" in the tree. Any suggestions?

Message 4 of 7
mrattray

I see; I thought from your original post you had it working, but was simply concerned about the message.
If it was me, I would make my "columns" part an iPart with one version cut and the other uncut. Then, make the assembly an iAssembly, with one version referencing the cut column and the other referencing the uncut column. Would this work for you?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: mrattray

I second what Mike said.  Infact he took the words out of my mouth.  As I read your original posting I thought the exact same thing.  Why not create an iassembly to show the two variances of the assembly cut.

Great minds think alike I guess!!!  Smiley Very Happy

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 7
janitor1
in reply to: Cadmanto

I guess i-part and i-asm must be the only way to accomplish what I am wanting to do. I have two expert elite users pointing me the same way. I just wish I did not have to get into the whole "i" thing. Thanks

Message 7 of 7
mrattray

There's always more than one way to do things. Don't be afraid to try something else if you don't like our idea.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report