Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assemble - grip snap

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
cheree.lee
1421 Views, 15 Replies

Assemble - grip snap

This just has my "tick me off meter " pinging.  I've attached a file.  It has imported files from other assemblies and various sources now being retasked to a new application.

I need to bolt and pin it all together.  So far, everything I've tried results in conflicts.  Everything seems fine through the first bolt.  It the second bolt and trying to install the pins that are causing problems.   I can't seem to get any kind of a constraining effect for the second bolt that does not interfere with the first bolt placed.  The components are currently free to revolve around the axis of the first bolt place in each component.  Placing the second bolt overrules the first.

To further exasperate the problem, I can't find online answers.  I don't know if I'm not asking the question right or using search phrases that aren't what I should be asking but I'm not finding the answers I need.

If someone out there can get the cylinder fully bolted to the angle plate and the forks fully bolted to the push plate on the cylinder - please help.  Send me the file back fixed. But also tell me how you did it.  Between the two, I may win this war.  Ultimately, I will need to be able to use the pressentation feature and potentilly, animiation.  

For the record, it is much much much bigger than this little file I attached.  This is just a very small part of a very big pie.

I'm failry new to Inventor and 3D modeling, but rarely does any new software take me to task.   I don't mean to sound cross, I am just not accustomed to having software beat me.  The war is on....................

Thanks for your help in advance!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
ampster402
in reply to: cheree.lee

an .iam file by itself is worthless, you'll need to post all files that make up this .iam file.

Also, please post what version of Inventor you are using so that others may not waste their time downloading your files just to find out they won't open on their system.

Message 3 of 16
cheree.lee
in reply to: ampster402

For starters Inventor 2012.

Message 4 of 16
cheree.lee

Little bit shakey here.  I could attach all the parts.  So here is a few more.

I didn't attach the bolts, they came from the content center.  

Broached Socket Head Cap Screw - Metric M8x1.25 x 100 mounts the cylinder / acuator to the angle iron plate

Broached Socket Head Cap Screw - Metric M6x1 x 20:1 mounts the centering clam to the cylinder / acuator

Hexagon Socket Head Cap Screw - Inch 5/16 - 18 UNC - 1 1/4 - skip - they mount the angle iron piece to the bolster plate  not shown in any of this

Message 5 of 16
JDMather

You didn't attach a couple of the important parts, but my guess is the holes are not on the same bolt circle diameter (especially since that isn't the dimension style used in the AutoCAD drawings).

Attach *DTL14*.ipt  and *DTL26*.ipt here.

.696 is not equal to .69597

EQUIVALENCY.png

A better way to dimension would be the BCD to aviod these rounding errors.  A nice 50mm BCD.

BCD.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 16
cheree.lee
in reply to: JDMather

The bolt hole pattern was the first thing I looked at.  I didn't realize that i had to take the decimal places out that far.  Or that rounding would play into this.

I did attach the 2 missing drawing in subsequent posts.  

Am I correct in thinking that the same series of steps that made the first attachment [successfully] should work on the subsequent attachments?

CLL

Message 7 of 16
JDMather

@cheree.lee wrote:

I did attach the 2 missing drawing in subsequent posts.  

I wasn't interested in drawings (*.dwg) I was interested in parts (*.ipt).  You attached two dwg files rather than two ipt files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 8 of 16
cheree.lee

Attached the ipt's.

Looking at the bolt circles right now.

Message 9 of 16
JDMather

@cheree.lee wrote:

Or that rounding would play into this.

I got suspicious as soon as I saw those "oddball" dimensions.  Designers, whether working in inches or metric, rarely use dimensions like that.  They are usually numbers like 17mm or .695"

I would not wan't to be the person out on the shop floor locating those holes to

±.001"  ouch!

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
JDMather

somebody likes extra work.  16 dimensions where one dimension would fully constrain.

extra work.PNG

EESignature

Message 11 of 16
cheree.lee

As I said, this is a collection of previously used part being put to a new task.  The come from some files that were metric and others that were english, different designers, different eras, and suppliers who are notorious for goofy dimensioning.

Stir in my newness to Inventor and frustration prevails.

Message 12 of 16
JDMather

@cheree.lee wrote:

Stir in my newness to Inventor and frustration prevails.

This is typical for what I see all the time.  If you let it frustrate you - you will soon not have any hair and/or a hole in the wall from beating your head...  Smiley Tongue

At least the sketches are dimensioned/constrained with some logical order of creation - so it is easy to track down the problem.

EESignature

Message 13 of 16
cheree.lee

Back to my one question............was I correct in thinking that the same steps that sudccessfully got the first bolt in place and constrained should have worked for all of them?  If the bolt patterns was the same.

Also, most of the parts I simply pulled in from the other sources.  I didn't  clean them up, or do anything more than take a first wack at duplicating the old existing drawings.  I am thinking I should do that now before I go too much farther.   Your thoughts? 

Message 14 of 16
JDMather

Same technique should work for all of them.

I think you will find that most people don't trust Acad work once they start using Inventor, especially if the work was done by someone else.  At least with Inventor you have a history tree you can check to see how something was done and where they went wrong.  Without a history I always feel like I need to start over from scratch because I can't trust anything someone else did if I find one thing wrong.

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
cheree.lee

I was beginning to feel that way on a lot of the work I've been doing in Inventor.  I've already given up trying to bring really old AutoCAD files in.  

Part of me wanted to believe that I could just pull them in an go merrily down the path.  The I stared running into things like dimension over rides.  

Thanks for your help.  I'm going to spend some time cleaning up the mess, and then working with getting the patterns corrected. 

If I run into trouble I'll be back in the forum.

One last question though, if my holes have chamfers and lead chamfers does that mess with the bolt connections?  should I be picking the edge of the chamfer or the edge of the hole itself?

Message 16 of 16
JDMather

@cheree.lee wrote:

One last question though, if my holes have chamfers and lead chamfers does that mess with the bolt connections?  should I be picking the edge of the chamfer or the edge of the hole itself?

No problem with chamfers.

Select the clamping face circle. (which I assume would be your chamfer edge rather than hole edge)

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report