Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying an underscore to dimension text

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1366 Views, 10 Replies

Applying an underscore to dimension text

I have a set of dimensions on my drawings however where the dimension is displaying as 6mm in a vertical plane this is quite difficult to distinguish as it could be misread as 9mm. Is there a way to add an underscore mark on the 6 so no mistake can be made as to it being a 6 and not a 9 ? Please see attached screen shot. Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mrattray
in reply to: Anonymous

Could you just change to unilateral dimensioning?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: mrattray

Hi, can you please advise on how I would do this by your recommendation. Thanks

Message 4 of 11
mrattray

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks yes I saw this, I was just wondering if it was possible to add an underscore to dim text, would be good to see this in the next release Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Anthony,

You can do this manually by editing the dimension and adding an underscore to the next line, or use the Straightness symbol as shown.

Then just use the right-click Copy Properties option to add the same to any other dimensions that need it.

Autodesk Inventor Underscore Dimension.png

Or you could create a style to handle this and then just set the dimensions required to use that style:

Autodesk Inventor Underscore Dimension Style.png

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 11
mpatchus

You could create a new text style such as UNDERLINED NOTE TEXT and apply it to the Dimension Style which would result in something like this.

Underlined.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

This is great, many thanks for all your helpful comments. I guess it really would be most useful when trying to distinguish between the 6 and 9. Cheers

Message 9 of 11
kstate92

In the old days of hand drawings, an underlined dimension was used to state: 'Hey, it was too much work to redraw this entire blueprint, so this feature (while still measuring x) is now supposed to be y.'

But in about ten years, this insight will be about as usefull as being fluent in Sanskrit.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 10 of 11
mrattray
in reply to: kstate92

@kstate92 wrote:

But in about ten years, this insight will be about as usefull as being fluent in Sanskrit.

It's already about as useful as being fluent in Latin...

Smiley Very Happy

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 11
SBix26

But don't all (or most) drawing standards specify that text be oriented to read from bottom/right?  I understand that some users may not be familiar with the standards, but there really is no ambiguity once you know the standard.  This seems like a pretty messy way to address a training issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report