Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotation dimension to parts list

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
sibarut
1962 Views, 8 Replies

Annotation dimension to parts list

Hi everybody!

In the drawing, I have my iPart which is automatically driven at certain instance and also the dimension in the drawing is automatically driven. How I can get the value of that dimension so I can put it inside my parts list? whenever I click that dimension it's showing me this value "<<>>".

Please help.

thanks in advance.
Problems exist because there are solutions to find out.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blair
in reply to: sibarut

Search the Autodesk Wiki help for: "Create expressions for iProperties"

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/1892-Collabor1892/1918-Design_...

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 9
sibarut

Thanks for the reply.

The dimension was made manually. I believe it has nothing to do with iProperties? or not?

I was a proE user before I shifted Inventor.
In proE when you created dimension manually in the drawing it stores some information where you can take that information by a code and put it in the parts list.
Message 4 of 9
blair

Doing it this way allows the properties to "Look-Up" the value within the "Parameters". Anytime someone changes the Parameters value, it will be updated in the properties, which is what the BOM looks at.

You may want to create a IPT template with these changes done. Then when everyone (or you) uses the template to start a new part the fields are in the properties

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 9
sibarut

Thanks for the reply.

I will review those things.

Please take a look at the attachment. Currently, I just made another sketch in the *.ipt file and put a reference dimension around the corners of the part (this is only a rectangular plate with a taper on one end). This allows me to get the reference dimension which is automatically updated whenever I change the taper angle where I use DRAFT command. But it would be much better if I can get the dimension manually made inside *.idw and take the value of it.

Message 6 of 9
blair

You may want to change up your work to have the <Length> for your top dimension, <Height> for the LH height dimension and then deciding which dimension you want to use either the <Angle) for your RH end or <Taper Length> for the horizontal component.

Then set these as the required in the wikihelp document for your fields.

As long as the rest of the sketch is properly constrained you will have a solid part that can be changed and BOM will update.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 9
sibarut
in reply to: blair

Thanks for the reply.

Please have a look on the attachment. The dim 1931 is fixed, dim 1940 is varying. In this case, the point where should put the tDraft angle is at the end of dim 1931. What I did was I just made another sketch to be able to acquire that additional length made by the taper angle.
Message 8 of 9
blair

You could do that. Probably about as many ways to do this as there would be people who looked at it.

"If you can't raise the bridge, then lower the river"

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 9
sibarut
in reply to: blair

thanks for helping. Maybe it would best to look for other ways on how I work with inventor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report