Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animated chain

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Bonuman
1427 Views, 4 Replies

Animated chain

Hello,

After a period of 'googling'... frequently ending up here, at this forum, finding a lot of usefull information, the time has come to create an acount and participate 🙂

I'm trying to create an animated chain (Inventor pro 2012), therefor i set up a master sketch with a (driven) feature pattern of workplanes. The workplanes are constrained as 'normal to curve' (the curve is the path of chain, like a 'slot-hole'). Attached the image... As you can see the workplanes correctly rotate in the arcs of the sketch, thats normal to curve, so far so good...

The next step should be placing the Master in an assembly and place one chainlink. I constraint the chainlink to the first workplane/feature of the master. After that i pattern the component (chainlink) according to the feature pattern. Here is the problem... I would expect the chainlinks to rotate at the arc-parts, so that their XZ-plane mates the patterned workplane, but this isn't happening. The patterned components stay in the same orientation as the first component...

What goes wrong? I can't figure out... 

grz. Arjan

nb. I first do the outer chainlinks...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: Bonuman

See image. Edit your Master file pattern.

Chain.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Bonuman
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks a lot JDMather, it worked!

I did not try the Direction2 buttons, thought it wouldn't matter...But it does 🙂 eventhough I don't really understand why...

grz.

arjan

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: Bonuman

The dialog box is misleading - that is not Direction 2 even though it appears under Direction 2 when expanding the dialog box.

It is Orientation for Direction 1  (notice there is grayed out orientation for Direction 2, but since Direction 2 is not used in this example...).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
reza
in reply to: JDMather

Is there any way to make the chains move along the pass like an excavator moving forwards?
Thanks and regardsBagger chain.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums