Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anchoring drawings to Origin

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
rickduley
2258 Views, 9 Replies

Anchoring drawings to Origin

What is the significance of  having a point on my primary Sketch at the Planar Origin?

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mdavis22569
in reply to: rickduley

I like having my center point .... It gives me 3 planes and 3 axis' to work with ..without having to make new ones. Makes it easier to constrain items in my opinion as well. Mike

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
rickduley
in reply to: mdavis22569

Maybe the question is not clear. Sorry.

Why should I create my primary sketch starting from the origin? What difference would it make if I drew the whole sketch in the first quadrant, for example?
Message 4 of 10
mdavis22569

OK ..I might be confuse ...

Lets say for example we're drawing a square or rectangle...

I wouldn't start my corner at the origin. Rather I'd try to center it so the origin was in the middle of my box. Then I would constrain it so that the origin is centered around the origin, without actually being attached to it ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
rickduley
in reply to: mdavis22569

That's what my textbook is taking me through now - centring on the origin. That leaves the other question:
"What difference would it make if I drew the whole sketch in the first quadrant, for example? "

Thanks
Message 6 of 10
erazorzedge

The only difference it will make is the part will not be centered around the origin center point. Whether or not the part you make should be centered is really up to you. I start most sketches centered around the origin center point.

There are, however, some sketches that I will start with one corner on the origin center point. For instance, I'm working on a multi-level steel structure for which the contract drawings show a reference grid of column lines (A, B, C, etc. and 1, 2, 3, etc.) and I aligned the intersection of lines A and 1 at the origin center point. It's easier for me coming from AutoCAD, especially since I prefer to start all of my layout from the plan view.

Product Design Suite 2017 x64
Windows 10 (Build 1511) Professional x64
Message 7 of 10
rickduley
in reply to: erazorzedge

Eddie writes: "The only difference it will make is the part will not be centered around the origin center point."

I ask again, what difference does that make?
Message 8 of 10
erazorzedge

It might affect a 3D printed file, where you would have to manually move the part to the center of the bed. Although I'm not too sure, as I only have a rudimentary knowledge of the operation.

Inventor (like most things) has a certain workflow to specific tasks or goals. Some tasks can be achieved in more than one way. Others require a specific workflow to achieve the end result.

Making a part that isn't centered can also affect the ease of constraining a part in an assembly... or vice versa. It all depends on what you want to accomplish. Just think ahead about how the part will be used later on, or it could mean more work for you.

Product Design Suite 2017 x64
Windows 10 (Build 1511) Professional x64
Message 9 of 10
JDMather

@rickduley wrote:

I ask again, what difference does that make?

If you really really really want to know the answer to your question - attach your *.ipt file here.

The principle can best be illustrated with your actual files you have created.

Using Centerpoint Rectangle rather than 2-point rectangle reduces the numbe of dimensions needed.

I never use zero (0) magintude dimensions - use coincident constaints.

Fewer Dimensions.PNG

Fewer Dinensions 2.PNG

So one reason to anchor symmetrically about the origin is to reduce work (I am incredibly lazy).

Your extra work on left, my lazy work on right.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
rickduley
in reply to: JDMather

I have that lazy bone too!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report