Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aligning parts for assembly

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
rickduley
874 Views, 3 Replies

Aligning parts for assembly

I am doing a textbook exercise using Inventor 2015.  This should be the end result:

_Assembly_Correct.jpg

Trying to align the Blue Plate on the Base Plate I click the Constraint button --> Insert Button --> hole in base plate

_Base_Plate_Hole_Selected.jpg

If I then just click on the hole in the Blue Plate

_Blue_Plate_Wrong_Arrow.jpg

and then click OK I get the Blue Plate hole lined up properly, but the Blue Plate inverted.

_Blue_Plate_Inverted.jpg

To get the alignment correct I had to use the ViewCube to see the rear side of the Blue Plate and click on the hole in it from that side.

There must be a way to change the direction of the alignment arrow but I can't find it.  Would someone please help me out here.

Thanks

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
-niels-
in reply to: rickduley

It's much like in the real world, if you select the wrong edge it will connect "backwards".
So rotating to the rear side is a good way to see the edge you need.

If you do not want to rotate, you could hold your cursor near the (invisible) edge you need, right-click and choose "select other" to select the edge you need.

Hope this helps.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 4
rickduley
in reply to: -niels-

"If  you do not want to rotate, you could hold your cursor near the (invisible) edge you need, right-click and choose "select other" to select the edge you need."

I tried that but I don't get the option to "select other".  Instead, I find that Inventor 2015 shows me the other end of the hole and I can click on that which gives the desired effect.

Thanks

Message 4 of 4
-niels-
in reply to: rickduley

Yes, inventor will recognize available edges.

If there are more possible/overlapping edges at the spot where you right click it should look something like this:

Select_other.png

Happy constraining!

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report