Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add parameters in a general Table

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
GubianiA
5357 Views, 18 Replies

Add parameters in a general Table

How do i add/retrieve a Parameter from parameters list, in a general table?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: GubianiA

What type of Parameter and what type of table are you trying to insert it in?

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 19

Hi all same problem, just i would like explain what i want. I have sheet metal part (with flat pattern) made it ipart with several configurations of that part. For example i changed just length of that part. Next step is to make drawing. I want to make just one drawing. So first i tried to inset part list, but it's shows up just active configuration and i cannot add all configurations. So next is to insert general table, it's shows names, numbers and lengths, but i need couple more parameters. For example mass, but then i am inserting it shows mass for active configuration (in all rows same mass). What you can suggest to solve it? next column i prefer area of flatten pattern. 

P.S i switched from solid works so sorry if that is simple question.

Message 4 of 19

Please add your part here so I could have a look at it. In the meantime, have a look at this YouTube video on how to add area to your parts list...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbl6FfRB4EM

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 5 of 19

this is a model with drawing. In the drawing in general table i want to add mass and area. In this drawing i added manually.

Message 6 of 19

one more thing, in you tutorial you added whole surface area, in my case i am inspecting area of flatten pattern(just one side). Surface area is more then double of size.  case is to put this area in tooling/cost program.

Message 7 of 19

Hi,

you can try similar approach to the one JoAnn_Hogan posted.

- You have to add (driven) dimensions to your Sketch25 to get the "half width" as a sum of the length of the 3 lines.

- Then go to Parameters, give name to those dimensions (e.g. half_length, half_length1, half_length2) and export them.

- Add Parameter using iLogic as in the video above, e.g. Flat_area and fill in the equation "=(half_length + half_length1 + half_length2 ) * 2 ul * L  / 10000 ul" ... (the result will propably be in cm, divide to get it in meters)

- Then add the Flat_area parameter to the iPart table (so that it is visible in the Drawing)

- Create General Table in the Drawing and add columns (L, Flat_area, ...)

I'm sure there is also an easier version, feel free to experiment and improve 🙂

Thanks for posting here.

Martin Bernat

Autodesk

Message 8 of 19
GubianiA
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Sorry for my late response but the collegue who wrote the question is now doing other things.

In my case I simply want to retrieve the value of a parameter created in the part I'm representing in the drawing. I.e. if a create a parameter called "Paint" and I give to it a value like "Red", how can I recall the value in a cell of a general table? I know this is possible in a normal text using a button, but editing the table this button is not present.

In our company we use Creo but we are evaluating to pass to Inventor 14, and in Creo we can use this function simply using the syntax $parameter_name.

Is there something similar in Inventor 14?

Message 9 of 19

Hi GubianiA,

The General table is not really the correct tool to use for linking in component data (in most cases). You can use the General table to reference an iPart (configuration) and to reference a sheet metal part, but not a standard part.

Can you provide a bit more information about what you're trying to do, why you're wanting to use the General table (rather than the Parts List table for example), and so on?

I suspect there is a solution, but just not using the General table.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 19

In our company we have a procedure to extract some data from assemblies (a kind of BOM) in txt format, and use it for upload these data in the management software we have. This txt file is a customized table where we recall some parameters from parts and assemblies, all created with Creo. These parameters are for example: issue date, last revision, drawn by, checked by, weight, ecc. and are not created in standard parts (I mean parts from libraries) but in parts and assemblies created from zero. To do this we've created a template with all parameters inside it.

I've tried in Inventor using a parameter inserted in File->Proprieties and one created in Manage->Parameters but with no results.

We want to do the same thing in Inventor because we need to use the same txt file format. As I told before in Creo you can use the syntax $param_name to "print" the parameter value.

I admit I'm quite new with Inventor, so I don't know if I'm doing the right thing to have the result we want.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Message 11 of 19

hi i am sorry if you already looked at this but have you found the flat pattern "extents" useful for your requirements? see attached...

this is available as soon as you create a flat pattern and then you can extract it to wherever you need it (eg Boms, parts list etc) from your iproperties.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 12 of 19

Hi i found this, but this is not correct. Extents calculates only the whole area, so if you have holes or some cuts it will not effect surface area. Still have not found sollution for this.

I insert example picture.

Message 13 of 19
GubianiA

>In our company we have a procedure to extract some data from assemblies (a kind of BOM) in txt format, and use it for upload these data in the >management software we have. This txt file is a customized table where we recall some parameters from parts and assemblies, all created with Creo. >These parameters are for example: issue date, last revision, drawn by, checked by, weight, ecc. and are not created in standard parts (I mean parts from >libraries) but in parts and assemblies created from zero. To do this we've created a template with all parameters inside it.

>I've tried in Inventor using a parameter inserted in File->Proprieties and one created in Manage->Parameters but with no results.

>We want to do the same thing in Inventor because we need to use the same txt file format. As I told before in Creo you can use the syntax $param_name >to "print" the parameter value.

Any suggestion about this?

Message 14 of 19
Timothyx.Besser

@GubianiA wrote:

>In our company we have a procedure to extract some data from assemblies (a kind of BOM) in txt format, and use it for upload these data in the >management software we have. This txt file is a customized table where we recall some parameters from parts and assemblies, all created with Creo. >These parameters are for example: issue date, last revision, drawn by, checked by, weight, ecc. and are not created in standard parts (I mean parts from >libraries) but in parts and assemblies created from zero. To do this we've created a template with all parameters inside it.

>I've tried in Inventor using a parameter inserted in File->Proprieties and one created in Manage->Parameters but with no results.

>We want to do the same thing in Inventor because we need to use the same txt file format. As I told before in Creo you can use the syntax $param_name >to "print" the parameter value.

Any suggestion about this?

I would suggest looking into a Parts list. This can be linked to the parameters of a part or assembly within a specific view.

Message 15 of 19
llorden4

Another end user looking for this same feature.

Basically, I/we are looking for a way to create our own customizable generic table to display whatever dynamic information we need/want to display.  Remember AutoCad?  They allow "fields" to be inserted within a cell, we're looking for a similar capability vs only being able to enter text or having to write complex VBA/iLogic code to transfer data into a specific cell.

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Message 16 of 19

Hi @llorden4,

As far as I know there is no comparable ability in the General Table to fields in AutoCAD.  If the general table was able to pull in custom iProperties  from the drawing file, I think that would likely provide the ability you are asking for.

Currently, the only way that I know to come close to this without writing some code, would be to create your own table using a sketched symbol, and then use custom iproperties to populate the "cells". But this approach has some limitations as well.

I'm not sure how many other users have a need for functionality such as this in Inventor, but you might share your ideas about how to improve Inventor in this way on the Idea Forum:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 17 of 19
mcgyvr
in reply to: llorden4

@llorden4 wrote:

Another end user looking for this same feature.

Basically, I/we are looking for a way to create our own customizable generic table to display whatever dynamic information we need/want to display.  Remember AutoCad?  They allow "fields" to be inserted within a cell, we're looking for a similar capability vs only being able to enter text or having to write complex VBA/iLogic code to transfer data into a specific cell.

@llorden4

Please be more descriptive in what you want..

You don't seem to be talking about parameters like the person that started this post so there may be a way to accomplish what you want..

Do you have an example of what you want?

Does this table vary in size? <-- big one.. if its always the same size this is a piece of cake in Inventor..

Do you just want to be prompted at the start of a new drawing to fill in this information (and have the ability to edit at a later time if needed)?

,etc...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 18 of 19
llorden4

It's more of a "general" need than a specific need, a table makes for an attractive frame to display/group a lot of information that has to be displayed and makes it easy to maintain column/row association with large chunks of text data.

Rather than have a table of "all" possibilities of an assembly configuration, I'd like to simply present what's relative to the current assembly and simply not display the unused information.  Anything from material used, material finish, packaged/unpacked weights, etc, etc.

I can easily do this with a text box, but I like the boxed/Excel look and there's also a long history of drawings being presented in this fashion and I'd really like to match formats as I transition my employer from AutoCAD to Inventor with minimum disruption in presentations.

In summary, I'm not looking to fulfill a specific need here but would like a "broad" pallette of capabilities within a cell table to pull up "any" data that can be referenced via variable (iProperty or Parameter), to include dimensional values (example: d10 as a variable name).

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Message 19 of 19

@llorden4 wrote:

Rather than have a table of "all" possibilities of an assembly configuration, I'd like to simply present what's relative to the current assembly and simply not display the unused information. 

Hi @llorden4,

You used the term 'configuration',  with makes me wonder if you are using iAssemblies. If so, then you can do exactly what you want as long as the data you wish to show is in the iAssembly configuration table. 

Initially the general table shows all the rows in the iAssembly configuration, but you can choose to only show the one row as needed.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report